EventMobi Employee Reviews about "retreats"

Updated Mar 28, 2018

3.6
EventMobi CEO Bob Vaez (no image)
Bob Vaez
Pros
  • "Modern company culture & technology(in 7 reviews)

• "I know that there is good work-life balance here when 5:00pm rolls around people are leaving with their colleagues which is think is great(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are some growing pains as the company transitions to a larger scale in terms of communication, management, and process(in 5 reviews)

• "benefits and retreats you get (and no, last year's retreat did not cost you that much per person, Bob)(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "retreats"

Return to all Reviews

"Stable company. Operates like a lean startup, and values all the right things"

5.0

I have been working at EventMobi

Pros

I’ve been through many tech companies in my career so far, and I’ve never felt compelled to leave a public review of my employer, but given what’s been posted here as of late, I feel like it’s necessary. I’m in the engineering department, so I can’t speak to other areas of the company, but my experience here has been nothing short of excellent. Frankly, I suspect at least some of the negative reviews here have been from the same person, who clearly had a bad experience, which is unfortunate. Our engineering team is fantastic, progressive, open minded and hard working. There is a platform for everyone to debate and share ideas, regardless of their rank or role. I’ve never worked somewhere where even the interns are not only contributing, but helping to make critical tech decisions (and doing an excellent job of that). So you WILL make an impact here, and just as important, you will make friends. Work-life balance is respected here, probably more so than most tech companies in the area. We work extremely hard, but i don’t see the kinds of zombie workers you will find at many tech companies. We have a solid product and our numbers are fantastic. This isn’t a company who is frantically trying to build a product before running out of runway. Personally, any time I’ve brought a concern to management, it’s been listened to and addressed as best as possible. While we are thin on management and seniors (more on that in the Con’s section), I find it much more enjoyable to work in this kind of environment, rather than one where an army of managers has come in and stifled any and all freedom and creativity (I’ve worked in those kinds of environments too!). I’ve provided plenty of critical feedback to management, both through anonymous surveys, and in person. I’ve never been questioned or felt any kind of retribution for providing critical feedback. Things haven’t always gone my way, but I’ve always been listened to.

Cons

Yes, it’s true that we are light on senior/management type people. This leads to a higher burden on each individual to make (good) decisions and show leadership within the teams, which is difficult. I think we have a long way to go on this front. For example: in engineering, it can be difficult to come to consensus on things, and because we are lacking in senior developers, some of those lessons are learned the hard way. Management, in general, is still learning how to manage such a large team - so yes, mistakes are made. Sometimes, decisions are made seemingly without having enough thought put in, or without really having the data to back it up. There are other times when we need a Decision Maker to make a tough decision for us, and without that, we spend too much effort trying to make the decision ourselves. Sometimes, when we DO make decisions ourselves, they are over-ruled. Management has struggled with communicating changes, especially when people leave the company (or when they are let go). I also think there is a small gap between how we sell ourselves as a Toronto Tech Startup with All The Perks that go along with that, and how we actually operate. We are much more careful with spending than other companies, which is understandable given we are bootstrapped. However, I can see how from the outside, people might expect that we’re throwing money around on crazy things. We DO have fun, we do things together outside of the office, but it’s not a free for all. If the budget doesn’t fully cover the outing your team wants to do, you’ll either need to do something else, or cover the extra costs yourself. Lumping in things like corporate retreats and education budgets as part of your compensation makes things confusing, but actual compensation is on par with other Toronto tech companies.

Continue reading

"Great Opportunity for Career Growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at EventMobi full-time for more than a year

Pros

EventMobi is a great place to explore your role and grow within the organization. Everyone working at EventMobi had an a great outlook on work and life and have incredible positive attitudes. Teams go the extra mile and the friendships go beyond just going for a lunch. Everyone is willing to learn and grow and the company is open to making mistakes and taking risks, analyzing these and trying something completely different. I have been at EventMobi for a year and love the people I work with, think the new office is absolutely beautiful and enjoy the bright office, standing desks and views. I know that there is good work-life balance here when 5:00pm rolls around people are leaving with their colleagues which is think is great. The company is still a start-up and is highly collaborative and transparent. Anytime there is a new product launch the whole company will attend a demo day to keep us up to date. The CEO is very passionate about his role and I always see him talking with anyone in the organization. He does not have an ego and is highly approachable. The most recent retreats of SkiMobi to Blue Mountain was amazing, the company rented a Coach bus and brought everyone up while others went up together and rental chalets and spend more of the weekend together as a group. This shows a sign of close-nit groups. You feel at home here- I have worked in other offices and I often feel that I am not working downtown Toronto. I enjoy my job, know I have had a ton of growth within the past year and am blessed to work with passionate, intelligent people.

Cons

Not every environment is for everyone. If you do not love start-ups and organizations that are willing to change and try different things this company will not be for you. If you love start-up and lean organization with leaders who will mentor you it may be the company for you. This company is fast-paced and idea generation is valued and needed- if you are someone who likes to do the bare minimum your role will not lead to growth.

Continue reading

"A Lost Cause - Intermediate and Senior Candidates Beware"

1.0

I worked at EventMobi full-time

Pros

The people are really the only pro of the company. Most people are genuine and nice and you will likely be friends with many people across the company

Cons

1. Almost all office perks have been taken away. There are no longer company retreats, a lunch program, nap room, personal education funds, snacks of any type, Thursday drinks, working from home, sports teams, or quarterly team outings. Anything that could easily be removed to cut costs has been done 2. It doesn’t matter if you go above and beyond, there isn’t really any manager who recognizes members of their teams properly. I’ve seen many people go way beyond their job scope and never seen any praise, recognition, compensation, or really anything 3. There’s a good chance you will be “asked”/told to do something entirely unrelated to your job and “take one for the team” even if it means your role entirely changing. I saw one employee who loved their role and had no choice to leave because they were given an ultimatum to take on an entirely different role or resign 4. Turnover is extremely high and there are very few Senior employees left. Over 25 fully qualified employees have left or been fired by EventMobi in 2017 alone. This includes the Co-founder/CTO and senior leaders from all departments, all of which were not replaced when I was there. One fire includes the CEO explaining to the whole company in a weekly meeting that someone was fired because they didn’t agree with everything that he said and would provide their own opinion in meetings 5. There is a severe gossip culture in the company. Everyone, including management and senior leadership casually engage in unconstrained conversation about other people in the company, including rumours about management sleeping with their direct employees 6. There is no longer an HR department as senior leadership didn’t believe the company needed it anymore. This means if you have any issues, questions, concerns, you have to go directly to the CEO or the COO. This is a lost cause because they have absolutely no sympathy for any situation. They hired an external consultant and employees have the option to call them or see them once every few months if they come by the office 7. Compensation is nowhere near competitive and most salaries are under the industry average. The reality is that employees share this information and management uses intimidation tactics in order to pressure you and keep your salary low. The only way I’ve seen employees get salary increases is by threatening to leave and bringing in an offer from another company 8. There is absolutely no regard for work life balance. If out of the blue management decides they need something done ASAP, you are expected to complete it. Often tasks which should take weeks are put on your plate and you have no choice but to stay late to complete them. People are given far too much work or forced to take on the positions of people that have left because the company has absolutely no plans to hire someone new since they can save money and force you to do it. I have seen many employees burnout from this 9. The only reason the company made Great Places to Work is because employees were literally forced to provide feedback. Multiple company wide Slack messages and manager reminders were given to ensure that you filled it out with a high score 10. I understand there are some good reviews, however there are a few reasons for this. At least 4 reviews on the site were requested by the company as senior leadership sent out emails requesting employees to write perfect reviews. I’m aware of this as I know the people that wrote the reviews. Other reviews are often entry level positions and people of which this is their first job out of school. For the inexperienced person, they do not realize all of the issues with the company as they have nothing to compare to

EventMobi Response

January 15, 2018

Dear Former Employee, thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your personal perspective with us. You certainly spoke to some of our current growing pains. Scaling up a bootstrap startup is never an easy task however, we are truly trying our best to do right by our employees and customers. Having said that I do wish to clarify a few points as you may have been unaware about the following: 1- Other than the subsidized lunch program, all other perks mentioned are still standing including Skimobi, Campmobi, departmental mix & mingles and monthly Thirstdays. Although you are right, our nap room has not been set up yet in the new office. But folks are laying on the grass soaking in the sun in the meantime :-) 2- A company can only receive a Great Place to Work certification IF & ONLY IF company wide responses match a certain threshold. This survey is sent directly to employees and conducted by an outside organization which means we have no way to modify the individual responses nor control employee ratings. Although there is always room to improve, we take great pride in being certified due to the high ratings received not just response rate. 3- Every year, we ensure that all our salaries fall within the competitive (above average) ranges of Toronto Tech salary industry reports. But ...what are we doing to improve? 1- Although we do have 2 individuals who handle HR related inquiries such as employee operations and recruiting we are also looking to hire a seasoned Director of HR and very much looking forward to having their expertise at EventMobi. 2- Given that rapid change is a reality in our business, we hear you on the challenges and will need to continuously experiment with how to best manage changes which impact responsibilities of certain teams and roles as a result. Hiring replacements unfortunately can not happen immediately. I’m sure everyone agrees instead of rushing to rehire when someone leaves, we should take our time and find the best person that is not only great fit with our culture but can also bring new experiences to the team. 3- In the past few months, we have enrolled 25 of our top employees and managers in a 6 week long leadership training program to ensure a stronger foundation of leaders moving forward. Lastly, your suggestion of the founding CEO stepping down is rather an interesting proposition don’t you think ;) EventMobi would not exist if not for the vision and rigor of our founding CEO which I think you’d even agree is never an easy job. If you are willing to share more about your experiences during your time with EventMobi, we’d welcome additional feedback. Please contact us at hr@eventmobi.com. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to offer suggestions on how we can improve and know we’re working on making EventMobi an even better place to work.

"Autocratic Organization Masked As Fun-Loving Startup"

2.0
     in Toronto, ON

I worked at EventMobi for more than a year

Pros

- Espresso machine - Snacks / breakfast food available - 'Fun' youthful staff albeit a bit vapid and sheep-like

Cons

- To the CEO 'corporate transparency' means consistently publicly shaming staff members for little reason -from CTO to Interns- in company-wide meetings & communication platforms, thereby re-enforcing dominance & effectively scaring anyone from wanting to take part in idea-sharing. Thusly mentorship & facilitation of your growth within the company is not possible unless you are 'favourited' by the CEO ( which is a fleeting & unstable relationship in which you will be bullied into disclosing details about other staff members and quickly exited if you fail to agree/comply with CEO's point of view). - Lack of trust in capability of staff from CEO is very evident in all departments - ideas are delivered to deaf ears and forgotten in seconds by management, meetings are forgotten, decisions are forgotten, emails are unanswered and ignored. Whole departments are left waiting around for CEO to just tell them what to do 'cause otherwise their hands are tied. - Promotions are title changes without the growth in responsibility and/or training that should come along meaning that staff are ill-prepared in their role and unable to find equitable work with that title when they leave the company because they didn't actually learn the skills that would be expected in that role anywhere else - which is effectively the opposite of career development and preparedness! - Unrealistic goal setting and lack of clear direction from management results in continually missed deadlines & complacency in staff because last minute re-structuring of products / features/ marketing strategy etc has become second nature - no one wants to work their butts off to have the rug pulled out at the last minute. Tenured staff are used to this and thereby become despondent and bored, yet their plates are filled with busy work. - Lack clear and of respectful HR policies, ie. no mat/pat leave policies in place and bare minimum is offered when necessitated, all levels/ages of staff will share beds with colleagues or sleep on couches / air mattresses on mandatory company retreats / corporate trips because otherwise would be too much $$, bare minimum offered to most staff for vacation allotment. - Corporate values & promised compensation structure is not delivered. Ie. things like an 'education stipend' & company retreats are outwardly marketed as 'perks' but internally they are trumped up as part of ones compensation (bandied about particularly during salary reviews) and then are not followed through with and/or heavily scaled back (re: forced bed sharing). - Everything is always late from management (CEO): last minute decisions / new directions / late to meetings, lack of conscious, well-thought decision making from top down making the rest of the departments suffer and become needlessly stressed/agitated and left feeling micromanaged/ disrespected / deflated.

"You can do better"

2.0

I worked at EventMobi full-time

Pros

When I first started at EventMobi, I was excited to wake up to go to work every morning. Some of my best friendships have been born from EventMobi and (almost) everyone you work with is welcoming. In terms of the actual job, you dabble in both the event industry and tech sphere. Your customer base is fun and EventMobi produces a product that's actually decent. If you're starting out in your career, this is a great place for you.

Cons

From the time I started to the time I left, most 'veterans' had left and the culture really took a hit. The environment feels very adolescent and the gossip is facilitated from the top down. In terms of your professional progression, once you hit 6-9 months with the company, you've probably learnt everything you possible can. The skill development and career opportunities here are very limited and the pay structure does not support progression either. The compensation structure is very poor and falsely advertises the value of the “awesome” benefits and retreats you get (and no, last year's retreat did not cost you that much per person, Bob). The money skimping doesn't stop there: travelling with the company is a joke: hello uncomfortable coworker slumber party. No boundaries are respected and your concerns for your comfort/safety while on the road are met with veiled threats to accept the status quo or ship out. Overall, management is probably the biggest disappointment. Even if you are a top performer, you do not feel that you have job security. The CEO decides who he likes and dislikes based on personal preferences (which is human nature), but he acts on his bias to determine promotions, raises, and HR decisions - rather than actual performance and merit.

EventMobi Response

August 2, 2016CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am happy to hear about the excitement and enjoyment you have had working at EventMobi. And I agree with your concerns about us needing to do a much better job communicating within our teams as to how decisions at the management level are made. Just back in April our internal anonymous survey echoed the feedback around benefits that you mentioned in your review. The survey highlighted that about half of our staff would like the benefits enhanced and resources to be focused on different programs. We have listened closely and are ready to launch a more comprehensive and flexible benefits programs, based on what our employees consider important to them. There is nothing more important than our staff and their personal and professional growth! This has been one of the pillars of success at EventMobi during our rapid growth over the past 6 years. The EventMobi management team meets on a weekly basis to discuss all things staff related. It’s clear that we need to better communicate the decisions that are made, which may help alleviate uncertainty around how promotions and performance issues are handled at EventMobi. Regardless of which department you worked at, the joy of working at EventMobi is truly that no two days are the same. This is an amazing opportunity for those wanting to push outside their comfort box and take on new challenges. EventMobi is not a small tech startup anymore and we have definitely grown up this past year. Our dramatic growth has enabled our staff over the past few years to work on bigger challenges, learn new things and continuously grow professionally in every department. In the past year, we have restructured our teams, promoted our top performing stars, hired more talented employees and assembled an accomplished management team to take EventMobi to the next level. It’s unfortunate that you feel the culture has taken a hit. Our culture has definitely matured but I have never personally been so happy to be among such passionate colleagues and excited for the future of EventMobi. In the same survey mentioned above, over 96% of our staff expressed that they feel ‘proud to work at EventMobi’, 93% mentioned they have had the opportunity to grow in the past while and over 98% cited that they ‘respect and appreciate’ the overall management of EventMobi. This is not to say that EventMobi is perfect and we have so much to improve. It is a strong sign that we are on the right track, and have heard and have acted on major concerns from our employees as we strive to make EventMobi one of the best workplaces to work in Toronto. I invite anyone reading this to get in touch with any of our staff or myself directly on Linkedin or via email to learn more about what it’s like to work at EventMobi and how you can achieve your maximum potential while enjoying every day working with your amazing new colleagues.

"Bad Management, Good Culture"

1.0
    Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at EventMobi

Pros

- Good company culture - Company perks - Great Onboarding - Some Learning opportunities

Cons

Cons - No matter how much experience you had on your resume, our team was very underpaid. Being in sales, our account framework was divided up by industry demographic, so if you got assigned a demographic that didn't have a lot of budget, it was extremely hard to make money. All teams had the same high target to hit, which is extremely unachievable for some of the demographics. - During campaigns, product launches, events, we were all expected to work overtime without any additional compensation. - After being here for a while I noticed a lot of office bullying within my department (especially from upper management and the CEO). There has also been times where the CEO would cc the entire company on an email, if an employee did something wrong. This was also done on the company slack channel. - There was a lot of travel opportunities for my position (which is amazing), but I sometimes dreaded going on these types of work trips due to the fact that the company would cheap out on a lot of things. For trade shows we were responsible for lugging the booth items with us to the airport. It's fine when you are traveling with another person, but sometimes I would attend these events alone, it was a huge inconvenience for the employee. There are no company credit cards that you can use when away, so you were expected to use your own personal credit card throughout the trip, and sometimes it would take a month to get reimbursed. Going on one of these trips, usually we would rack up $1500 - $2000, and with a low salary, this was a huge inconvenience to have this sitting under my own credit. Some of the accommodations were excellent, but there were other times where they would rent out air bnbs in unsafe areas, and one time during our busy season they forced a male and a female to share a one bedroom studio, in order to cut down costs (the beds were literally beside each other). When they complained about the accommodation arrangements, and how uncomfortable it made them feel, they were asked to be a "team player". No employee should ever be put in that type of situation, it was very unethical. - This might have changed, but when I was working at EventMobi I didn't have any mentorship opportunities, as well did not have a manager for a long period of time. There was also no formal HR department in place, so it was very hard for an employee to communicate any internal issues. To cut down on costs, the company would stay away from hiring senior management, because they didn't want to have to pay someone more than 90k. The company would just promote someone internally that has less experience, to cut down on costs. - When I received my raise, I was provided a full breakdown of what my compensation would look like. They mentioned that 8k would be allocated towards our annual retreats, and that 2k would be allocated towards learning and career development (conferences, courses, etc). When it came time to book our retreat, our budget suddenly shrank to $1000 (which is fine, but it shouldn't have been presented as our compensation). The educational and knowledge budget is currently advertised as an opportunity to help further your career, and it's up to the employee in how they would like to allocate that budget. Our teams entire educational budget was spent on an individual that was hired to coach the sales team (which wasn't communicated to our team until after they were hired). Personally I felt that this individual did not bring any value to our team, and the services they provided only benefited upper management. Also during the first three weeks of having this individual work with our team, the CEO congratulated our team that none of us got fired, and usually when this individual comes to a company 30% of the team gets let go. I was really disturbed after hearing that comment, and was shocked that it was even communicated to our team. How is this supposed to further my career, when you are bringing in a stranger to determine if I'm good enough to stay on the team?

Continue reading
  7. "Superb culture, passionate team - high growth company with a bright future."

Former Intern - Product Manager Intern in Toronto, ON

I worked at EventMobi for less than a year

Pros

- Silicon Valley perks in Toronto: Free snacks, catered lunches, office dogs, company library, team outings, company hackathons, all-expenses-paid annual retreats (Bahamas, Iceland etc) - Flat hierarchy and adaptive management: Friendly and supportive work processes to propose and work on new ideas/projects and make impact, diverse and talented coworkers to guide and promote the best in you - Family culture: The vibes are always positive and promote a sense of community and friendship, that's not found in many workplaces. This is something other startups in the Toronto scene still strive for!

Cons

- High growth means frequent process and priority changes: This sometimes impacts decision making and clarity of goals/expectations for projects with a growing team. However, this is likely to stabilize and be addressed as the growth spurts calm down.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at EventMobi full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Passionate development team dedicated to finding the best cutting edge solution to create a great product. - Tech stack which includes Docker, Ansible, Node, Redis, - Open collaborative culture - Company retreats - We went to Iceland and Costa Rica in the past!

Cons

Communication between different departments could be improved.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews