EventMobi Employee Reviews about "eventmobi"

Updated Apr 17, 2021

Found 26 of over 80 reviews

4.0
EventMobi CEO Bob Vaez (no image)
Bob Vaez
Pros
  • "Company culture - EventMobi does an amazing job of finding and hiring hard working and fun people(in 20 reviews)

• "The best company culture I've had the pleasure of working in(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At EventMobi, working with legacy products and code can mean making compromises(in 11 reviews)

• "Absolutely zero transparency from upper management and often given excuses vs(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

60 Comments

Tech

239.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=EventMobi~756405
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "eventmobi"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Interesting opportunities, amazing people!

Apr 17, 2021 - Event Success Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

During my time at EventMobi I’ve add the opportunity to work on interesting projects, travel to incredible places (pre-covid), and work with an array of amazing and interesting customer. Covid really showed me the strength and resilience of our company. Like many event tech companies, EventMobi went through a challenging time in March 2020 when Covid started spreading and events were being cancelled. Every team came together to offer customers a virtual solution and quickly launched a brand new production service. This was a challenging time and the commitment and creativity of my colleagues at EventMobi really proved to me that I was at the right place.

Cons

EventMobi is a fairly flat organization so opportunities to promotion opportunities are limited however moving horizontally and working on projects outside of your day-to-day is fairly common so if you see a project or team you want to get more exposure to just let your manager know!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, culture, and company.

Feb 16, 2021 - Senior Product Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The kindest group of people you will ever meet. Really great people to work with that are truly passionate about not only what they do, but also about the product and [events] industry. Really smart management that has driven the company to succeed through very uncertain times during covid-19. Management is great and makes you feel you have a voice at the table. You would never feel uncomfortable voicing yourself about anything. Good collaboration culture between functional groups which allows for agile workflow. Growing pains once we’ve migrated to remote work, but we’ve made it work so far and it’s great to see everyone always trying to improve the process. One thing I truly admire and don’t see often in other companies is the transparency EventMobi provides from Exec. leadership team to the staff. It’s been a constant over the years I’ve been here and one of the greatest values a company can have for their members.

Cons

There will always be growing pains with each company. At EventMobi, working with legacy products and code can mean making compromises — but also an interesting challenge to take on if you’re up for it! This is a challenge more common than not, so I wouldn’t be deterred by this. Being on a smaller team can mean working more like an Individual Contributor (IC) in a fast paced environment which is not for everyone.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A company that hires incredible people

Feb 10, 2021 - Senior Product Designer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. One of the best things about working here is that everyone cares about their work and always strives to improve our processes and share learnings with each other. The team is highly collaborative, talented, and is always willing to listen to one another. There is a great sense of teamwork even after moving to remote work. There is opportunity to grow and explore new roles if you voice your interest. In my experience, management is very supportive and does the best they can to make sure you continue to grow your career. I've seen many older reviews about bad management and micromanaging. A few years ago I might have agreed, but the investment into management the past couple years has turned it all around. There are some incredible, hard working, and smart managers here who truly care about individuals on their team. Every company has rough patches and Eventmobi certainly has had some, but what I appreciate here is that if you give feedback, there are always people ready to discuss and work with you to solve the problem.

Cons

Things move quickly and you need to be able to adapt. It can be good but might not be for everyone. Difficulties growing with legacy tech. Certainly something that has gotten better during my time here, but it can lead to some barriers and compromises with the product.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hands down the best place I've worked

Jan 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture - EventMobi does an amazing job of finding and hiring hard working and fun people. They are very focused on finding the right fit, and the company culture that they have created really does makes it feel like are you part of a family. Opportunity for growth - While every person will have a defined role and set of responsibilities, there are lots of ways to get involved in projects or initiatives that fall outside of the regular scope of your work. The leadership team does their best to get employees involved in things that relate to their interests and/or areas where they want to learn - often this is how people grow into new roles, sometimes even new ones that have not yet existed in the company. Executive / Leadership Teams- The leadership team is very accessible and available, including the VPs and the CEO. They provide the right amount of guidance and support, while also allowing their teams the flexibility and autonomy to approach their work the way that they choose to. My personal experiences with leadership have shown me that they are very open to listening, mentoring, and investing in my career growth by allowing me the opportunities that I needed to find which area of the company that I wanted to get involved with and to grow into.

Cons

This is a very fast paced company where things are changing all of the time. Some will find this exciting because it means that your job never becomes monotonous, but others may find it as a challenge if they don't easily adapt to changes or if they prefer a more defined and structured processes.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Such great people!

Mar 2, 2020 - Senior Designer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at EventMobi cares so much about the product and what they're doing. The best company culture I've had the pleasure of working in. People practice gratitude for how their team mates help them even on a small scale. The office is in a great location and it really easy to get to. If you are curious and want to learn something new, grow, change or evolve your role management is very supportive of those who are eager.

Cons

Management structure can change quite quickly so it's important you are ok with changes in processes and possibly be willing to take on new tasks as change dictates.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Opportunity for Career Growth

Mar 28, 2018 - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

EventMobi is a great place to explore your role and grow within the organization. Everyone working at EventMobi had an a great outlook on work and life and have incredible positive attitudes. Teams go the extra mile and the friendships go beyond just going for a lunch. Everyone is willing to learn and grow and the company is open to making mistakes and taking risks, analyzing these and trying something completely different. I have been at EventMobi for a year and love the people I work with, think the new office is absolutely beautiful and enjoy the bright office, standing desks and views. I know that there is good work-life balance here when 5:00pm rolls around people are leaving with their colleagues which is think is great. The company is still a start-up and is highly collaborative and transparent. Anytime there is a new product launch the whole company will attend a demo day to keep us up to date. The CEO is very passionate about his role and I always see him talking with anyone in the organization. He does not have an ego and is highly approachable. The most recent retreats of SkiMobi to Blue Mountain was amazing, the company rented a Coach bus and brought everyone up while others went up together and rental chalets and spend more of the weekend together as a group. This shows a sign of close-nit groups. You feel at home here- I have worked in other offices and I often feel that I am not working downtown Toronto. I enjoy my job, know I have had a ton of growth within the past year and am blessed to work with passionate, intelligent people.

Cons

Not every environment is for everyone. If you do not love start-ups and organizations that are willing to change and try different things this company will not be for you. If you love start-up and lean organization with leaders who will mentor you it may be the company for you. This company is fast-paced and idea generation is valued and needed- if you are someone who likes to do the bare minimum your role will not lead to growth.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to start

Jan 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work culture and people are definitely what will get you! I've been with EventMobi for a while now, and it still doesn't get old. EventMobi is a growing company with a lot of growth to be had. If you are ambitious, new to the work force and full of ideas and patience, this is a great place to be. That being said, because there is still a lot of growth, if you are experienced and well-seasoned in your career, this could be a great company to take on. Feedback is valued heavily, and Bob/Marketing and Operations are really taking initiatives to improve employee experience. There are a lot of incredible opportunities to learn and be heard at this company. Although many complain that EventMobi has "lost perks", there are still plenty of perks of working here. Staff take their time to hire the right people so that there is a strong dynamic in the workplace. There are more work activities here than any other place I've ever worked at. As for onboarding, there is also plenty of opportunities to meet new people in the company. In general, the people make it. The connections you make at work are crucial, you spend most of your day with these people. The people at EventMobi make me want to go to work every day. The massage chair is pretty great too.

Cons

There are a lot of senior people leaving, which as seen in other reviews on here is something that we can be afraid of. This change can be seen as a negative or as a positive since it means restructuring and a new direction in the company. It just depends on how you look at it- if you fear change or not. If you fear change, this is not the company for you. If you embrace change, it is.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Vibrant, energetic culture with talented people!

Dec 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Genuine, considerate, comprehensive interview process - one of the best I've seen from a Toronto tech company - EventMobi is definitely concerned about the fit for you in addition to the fit for them - Some of the most capable, dedicated, and intelligent people I've ever worked with - A genuine desire to see the entire team/company grow and succeed - Inspiring individuals that go above and beyond for *everyone* - Lots of effort to ensure that everyone understands the company goals and everyone's role, regardless of department/division - A strategic vision for their market that shows both understanding and empathy for their clients/customers - Very transparent, at all levels of management - Dedication to collecting regular feedback and opinions on *everything* with solid effort to continuously improve - The most energetic group of people I've had the pleasure of calling coworkers, an abundance of opportunities to socialize and have fun outside of work hours - Technical leadership (at the time) that can forge very effective plans for success and is supremely dedicated to the well-being of the team - Chapters and monthly meetings to cultivate new skills (job-related and other skills) and inspire personal growth and direction

Cons

- Slight and/or awkward communication at the company level (a little too much, or a little off-message, but not negative in any sense) - A growing team (at the time), which means you may have to recognize what you need and make it happen rather than relying on process to handle it (everyone is learning!) - Technology silos and an abundance of abstraction can slow the familiarization with the platform and increase reliance on individuals (rather than teams)

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee

A Lost Cause - Intermediate and Senior Candidates Beware

Jan 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are really the only pro of the company. Most people are genuine and nice and you will likely be friends with many people across the company

Cons

1. Almost all office perks have been taken away. There are no longer company retreats, a lunch program, nap room, personal education funds, snacks of any type, Thursday drinks, working from home, sports teams, or quarterly team outings. Anything that could easily be removed to cut costs has been done 2. It doesn’t matter if you go above and beyond, there isn’t really any manager who recognizes members of their teams properly. I’ve seen many people go way beyond their job scope and never seen any praise, recognition, compensation, or really anything 3. There’s a good chance you will be “asked”/told to do something entirely unrelated to your job and “take one for the team” even if it means your role entirely changing. I saw one employee who loved their role and had no choice to leave because they were given an ultimatum to take on an entirely different role or resign 4. Turnover is extremely high and there are very few Senior employees left. Over 25 fully qualified employees have left or been fired by EventMobi in 2017 alone. This includes the Co-founder/CTO and senior leaders from all departments, all of which were not replaced when I was there. One fire includes the CEO explaining to the whole company in a weekly meeting that someone was fired because they didn’t agree with everything that he said and would provide their own opinion in meetings 5. There is a severe gossip culture in the company. Everyone, including management and senior leadership casually engage in unconstrained conversation about other people in the company, including rumours about management sleeping with their direct employees 6. There is no longer an HR department as senior leadership didn’t believe the company needed it anymore. This means if you have any issues, questions, concerns, you have to go directly to the CEO or the COO. This is a lost cause because they have absolutely no sympathy for any situation. They hired an external consultant and employees have the option to call them or see them once every few months if they come by the office 7. Compensation is nowhere near competitive and most salaries are under the industry average. The reality is that employees share this information and management uses intimidation tactics in order to pressure you and keep your salary low. The only way I’ve seen employees get salary increases is by threatening to leave and bringing in an offer from another company 8. There is absolutely no regard for work life balance. If out of the blue management decides they need something done ASAP, you are expected to complete it. Often tasks which should take weeks are put on your plate and you have no choice but to stay late to complete them. People are given far too much work or forced to take on the positions of people that have left because the company has absolutely no plans to hire someone new since they can save money and force you to do it. I have seen many employees burnout from this 9. The only reason the company made Great Places to Work is because employees were literally forced to provide feedback. Multiple company wide Slack messages and manager reminders were given to ensure that you filled it out with a high score 10. I understand there are some good reviews, however there are a few reasons for this. At least 4 reviews on the site were requested by the company as senior leadership sent out emails requesting employees to write perfect reviews. I’m aware of this as I know the people that wrote the reviews. Other reviews are often entry level positions and people of which this is their first job out of school. For the inexperienced person, they do not realize all of the issues with the company as they have nothing to compare to

31 people found this review helpful

EventMobi Response

Dear Former Employee, thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your personal perspective with us. You certainly spoke to some of our current growing pains. Scaling up a bootstrap startup is never an easy task however, we are truly trying our best to do right by our employees and customers. Having said that I do wish to clarify a few points as you may have been unaware about the following: 1- Other than the subsidized lunch program, all other perks mentioned are still standing including Skimobi, Campmobi, departmental mix & mingles and monthly Thirstdays. Although you are right, our nap room has not been set up yet in the new office. But folks are laying on the grass soaking in the sun in the meantime :-) 2- A company can only receive a Great Place to Work certification IF & ONLY IF company wide responses match a certain threshold. This survey is sent directly to employees and conducted by an outside organization which means we have no way to modify the individual responses nor control employee ratings. Although there is always room to improve, we take great pride in being certified due to the high ratings received not just response rate. 3- Every year, we ensure that all our salaries fall within the competitive (above average) ranges of Toronto Tech salary industry reports. But ...what are we doing to improve? 1- Although we do have 2 individuals who handle HR related inquiries such as employee operations and recruiting we are also looking to hire a seasoned Director of HR and very much looking forward to having their expertise at EventMobi. 2- Given that rapid change is a reality in our business, we hear you on the challenges and will need to continuously experiment with how to best manage changes which impact responsibilities of certain teams and roles as a result. Hiring replacements unfortunately can not happen immediately. I’m sure everyone agrees instead of rushing to rehire when someone leaves, we should take our time and find the best person that is not only great fit with our culture but can also bring new experiences to the team. 3- In the past few months, we have enrolled 25 of our top employees and managers in a 6 week long leadership training program to ensure a stronger foundation of leaders moving forward. Lastly, your suggestion of the founding CEO stepping down is rather an interesting proposition don’t you think ;) EventMobi would not exist if not for the vision and rigor of our founding CEO which I think you’d even agree is never an easy job. If you are willing to share more about your experiences during your time with EventMobi, we’d welcome additional feedback. Please contact us at hr@eventmobi.com. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to offer suggestions on how we can improve and know we’re working on making EventMobi an even better place to work.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Save yourself the headache and look elsewhere

Nov 7, 2017 - Support Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Non-management staff are generally great people with positive outlooks - Decent selection of post work sport teams to join

Cons

- Offered promotion on "trial" basis with no increase in pay. When I pointed out the person they wanted me to train in this role made significantly more than me, they chose to get myself and that person in trouble for discussing salaries. Management refused to have that person and I sit in a room together with them to discuss and instead chose to have the other employee and I sort it out ourselves. What we were suppose to sort out was anyone's guess. - A colleague of mine was injured and required a prolonged sick leave. Management tried to force that person to resign as opposed to providing them proper support. Management then argued that this did not happen, but quickly changed their tune when it was brought up that many of us had seen the email sent to them from said employee refusing to resign. - 90% of the perks listed on their career page were gone by the time I left. No nap room, no catered lunches, a drastically over-sold breakfast (hope you like raisin bran, honey nut cheerios and plain toast), no international company outings. I still remember asking about my education bonus only to be told that because of a slow quarter that there wouldn't be one. - I'd reckon 80% of their new hires are young graduates with which this is their first full time job who EventMobi then sorely take advantage of. Requesting things like volunteering weekends and evenings because management doesn't have the capacity to plan in advance. - Be prepared to be hired for one thing and then have your job description change on a whim shortly after. Management calls this "startup life", but really it's a cop-out for them to get you to do more work while paying you significantly less. This is the number one reason people leave. - No HR department. Instead they have an outside consultant who you can call for advice. - 1 and 1/2 hour long WEEKLY town halls where nothing of value is discussed and everything is poorly, poorly executed. Literally hundreds of productivity hours wasted so the owner can, for the most part, rant non-sensibly about things and inflate his ego. Many staff members, especially from the sales team who are hurt most by this waste of time, have asked to make these happen less, but the owner persists as it stays true to his "startup" mentality. - Having previously managed before, I would offer my opinion to the management team in regards to better operating my department. Only to be told that they were already on it and, within a few days, to see a butchered version of what was discussed suddenly be presented to the team. Happened more than once. - They make drastic changes to operations on a whim. In my case, they changed my hours so that I was required to work split shifts without even discussing it with me beforehand. When I told them I was not happy about this change, I was terminated two days later for not being "flexible". - Management told me verbatim "They don't have the energy or resources to help unhappy employees." - All these positive glassdoor reviews you see are posted by request of management. I was asked multiple times to provide one for the company while working there.

32 people found this review helpful

EventMobi Response

Thanks for your feedback and for being specific about how you felt let down. Although you may be hesitant to believe it, we do truly take this feedback seriously and will use it to make improvements for the incredible team that is working so hard to provide the best technology and experience for our customers. There is nothing more important to us than maintaining a collaborative and open culture where every employee is heard and is able to do their best work. Thank you for the work you did for us and for being open about your feelings. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews