Evans Cycles Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.1
Andrew King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Head Office personnel given roles they really aren't suitable for (in 9 reviews)

• Increased workforce with reduced budgets paying minimum wage to most resulting in overworked employees (in 9 reviews)

1. "Lack of support, no progression, useless HR department"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good staff discount but that's it

Cons

No progression, useless HR department, no support, poor management, poor pay

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues with actual issues instead of brushing it under the carpet, no one in the company trusts HR, and the only way you can progress is if your a brown nose, shout a lot or cant manage people.

"Appalling leadership"

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be fair the hours weren't too bad

Cons

Several, see summary below for my thoughts:

Advice to Management

I worked at Evans Cycles Head Office for a number of years. In my time I had no formal pay reviews or increase, no real development, performance reviews were intermittent at best. Management poorly trained and no one seems to care about the fact the company is severely hemorraging staff, most of who are experienced and have a decent length of service. After handing in my notice my manager basically gave up on me (he wasn't a particularly strong manager anyway. Very secretive, disorganised and insular)... there was no meeting to discuss handover nor was there an exit interview which strongly suggests the company are reluctant to understand why their staff decide to move on. I was part of a line of people leaving for the same reason, but I assume my former colleagues didn't have an exit interview either. Now the perks, well if you're not a keen cyclist then there's not much. No holiday increase on length of service, SSP only (well there's this management discretion rule... ) there is a very weak bonus scheme. Listed perks include pension (government scheme!!!), buying holiday - that's not a perk, especially when the short days are deducted from your salary over 6 months, and a large amount of staff are on minimum wage so not eligible, ride to work (most companies offer this scheme), yellow jersey award (a silly recognition which is not a benefit it's an incentive), and so on. I wouldn't go back. The management complete colleague satisfaction surveys, but to be honest it's a waste of everyone's time as nothing is mentioned following and nothing changes. The company has slid downhill pretty quickly. Be cautious considering a career at this organisation. As for casual weekend/student work, I'm sure it's fine and good luck!

3. "Great place to work"

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time

Pros

Friendly Staff
    Diverse role
    Good staff discounts

Cons

Pay is quite low
    Not much scope for progression

5. "The worst place to work."

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

The friends I made there I still talk to them to this day.

Cons

Everything from the pay to progression.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more money and treat them better.

6. "Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount scheme, although tracked and with a limit.

Cons

Poor wage, poor management structure, zero hour contract.

"Not bad, definitely not good either"

Former Employee - Contact Centre Agent in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Contact Centre Agent in Gatwick, England (UK)

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lot of great people, company perk (bike gear at trade cost) is great.

Cons

really gone downhill, too little investment in staff and stores. company was sold off at too high a price, now owners are squeezing it dry. people are leaving very quickly now. little room for bonuses or staff perks beyond buying at cost.

Advice to Management

listen to staff, invest in stores a bit more etc.

8. "Same as any other retail store, low pay and understaffed."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you buy expensive bikes the discount is very good. Mostly great staff. Use of the workshop is very useful. Some good managers....The potential for career progression is good due to the speed at which staff leave the stores. The yearly internal bike show is excellent, it really is the highlight of a very average job.

Cons

Rude customers expecting the world from minimum wage slaves.

Senior management constantly chasing numerical targets and passing this pressure down the chain.

Training is terrible, you are thrown straight in with just enough training to put a sale through the till.

Low staff numbers faced with an impossible workload. The company is very wasteful, ridiculous amounts of damaged bikes getting moved around, issuing vouchers to customers over any complaint just to keep them quiet (the easy option).

Horrendous communication across departments and the company as a whole.

A large company feels like it's run like a small business, quite un-organised seems amateurish at times.

If you have a passion for cycling, beware, working in the industry can extinguish that very quickly. Get in, get some cheap gear and get out!

Wages - compared to other jobs they really aren't great. Yes they offer discount which is good but that doesn't pay the bills. The bonus scheme is broken you can sell all you want but if the shop as a whole doesn't meet targets you get nowt.

Feels like they are just trying to look good on paper for the investors to sell on and make their profit.

Claim specialisation but in reality very generic.

Advice to Management

Halfords are considered a joke to bike enthusiasts, do not become Halfords.

9. "not worth the money let alone the stress"

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can afford the '1' bike a year on trade discount, while being paid Minimum Wage then that's it.

Cons

Pay, your just a number that can be replaced in there eyes even if you have skills, lack of respect and care from hr,
    No sick pay, open ever day of the year besides 2 days. If you report something... guess what nothing will be done....but if your sick 3 times in 6 months your be dispilined. ..... Remember your getting paid the same as someone working in a pound shop stocking selfs

10. "Better than other sales jobs if you like cycling"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by cycling all day

You can save a lot on kit with the staff discount

I personally had a great store manager

Cons

They have been taken over by a conglomerate keen for a quick buck

You are expected to be an expert on bikes but you get minimum wage

Advice to Management

Appreciate that working in sales at a bike store is not an unskilled job and should not be paid as such

11. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet some great like minded people who enjoy cycling as much as you do.
    Great place for progression and have seen many of my colleagues progress. It is also an awesome place if you are studying. Very flexible.
    Lot's to learn and not just about bikes or sales.
    Amazing discounts and company benefits like Bike Fest.

Cons

Sometimes the operating system can be extremely painful to use and needs to be updated.
    A lot of people only review stores if they have a bad experience, not a good one and can feel like this isn't recognised by senior management.
    High turnover of managers can be difficult to adapt, as each have their own style of management.
    Also high turnover of staff can also be difficult.
    Sometimes a lot of red tape around puncture repairs and accessory fittings, even if we ride everyday.
    You do prologue (probation) than are slapped with Veloversity, even more "training" that we have to do out of work hours and all this extra learning isnt reflected in pay.

Advice to Management

Less admin, more shop floor focus, especially from managers. I never see my new manager on the shop floor at all.
    I feel you need learn how to nurture some of your managerial talent better and not let them get away.
    Never stop trade, huge benefit to work there, but a lot of retail companies do pay a lot more nowadays than Evans.
    The company needs to start acting like a big retail company and not your local bike shop, because it isn't anymore.