EtQ Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

EtQ Reviews

Updated 19 Nov 2019

EtQ CEO Robert Gremley  (no image)
Robert Gremley
Pros
  • "Very supportive work environment, very willing to work to meet your needs(in 11 reviews)

• "Excellent culture -- supporting hard work with good work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  1. "ETQ invests in employees who buy in to the mission"

Current Employee - Director sales operations and enablement in Burlington, MA

I have been working at EtQ full-time

Pros

Management does an incredible job at investing in those who dedicate themselves to the success of the business. I've read multiple reviews that say management doesn't care about the people. As a non-exec, not only am I'm extremely surprised to hear that, but I couldn't disagree more. Time and time again, they have offered me opportunities to grow and succeed, they have treated me with respect, and encouraged... innovation and collaboration. Most importantly, they have supported me through adverse events to a degree that most other companies would not. Yes, it is a challenging working environment, and management cares about making a profit, but in my opinion, that is required if you're building a successful business.

Cons

Prioritization. The company knows what it needs to do to improve, but at times, it pursues too many projects at the same time. By the same token, there is no shortage of challenging work, and at least the business is honest with itself about where it needs to improve and tries to do something about it.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote a culture of innovation and collaboration. Continue to invest in and support your employees who buy in to the mission. Continue to be honest and transparent. Entering the new year, try to be realistic about which improvement projects give us the most bang for our buck, and focus on completing those with high degree of quality and effort.

EtQ2019-11-19
  2. "Had a good experience"

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer and Testers

I worked at EtQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Testing Experience Team Work environment

Cons

Not a competitive Salary

EtQ2019-11-12

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at EtQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are friendly in the Office

Cons

Management is terrible and does not care about anyone below them

Advice to Management

Take classes

EtQ2019-11-06

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Current Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at EtQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

ETQ has a good customer base.

Cons

Our flagship product is old and tired. The web part was overhauled in the beginning of the year but the Java code remains the same and there is one word for that code - spaghetti. Everyone is trying to get everyone to work together but there are so many mixed messages that none of us engineers know to whom to listen or what to believe. The "majority are already in the Cloud" rebuttal is misleading at best. When a... Cloud provider is used to replace hardware, that move is nothing more than hosting. The "moving them to new technology quickly but carefully" quote also misleads engineers and customers alike. For engineers, the new technology is limited to a select few and this "new" technology is only new to the company not to an experienced engineer. For customers, few, if any, customers will see these "new" technologies anytime soon - before 2021 possibly but that date is optimistic. Most engineers are doing maintenance work on a 20 year old product. There is nothing to learn while at ETQ that will be useful to learn for a job after ETQ. If you are a good engineer, do you and your career a favor and pass on ETQ.

Advice to Management

Build a new product and sunset the old one.

EtQ2019-08-16

"They have management struggles"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at EtQ full-time

Pros

One management is very competent

Cons

One manager could be more involved

EtQ2019-08-13

"An alright place to work. Salary is alright, perks are good but I wouldn't make a career out of it"

Former Employee - Technical Implementation Consultant

I worked at EtQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Promotions are given based on demonstrating a predefined list of competencies and not dependent on the availability more senior positions. *Flexible work schedule and very lenient regarding working from home *Unlimited PTO as well as days off in-lieu of having to travel on weekends/spending business trips abroad over a weekend. *Very good company paid health insurance. * Matched pension... contribution * If I had any issues and reached out to management I found them to be fair and approachable.

Cons

Note that I left the company on amicable terms and the following cons are provided for the benefit of prospective employees so that they are aware of some of the issues I wish were made known to me prior to joining the company. However, also note that I still would have joined the company if I had known these issues (and in fact would have had more realistic expectations) and I left due to an unrelated matter. *... Product is proprietary and therefore requires a significant amount of in house training. This training is poorly organised and delivered. As an example, I was given out to for asking questions during my training as I received it along side customers. I was told my questions were "too technical". * Starting salary assignment appears to be arbitrary and based more on your negotiation abilities with HR rather than previous experience and education. Although this might be a pro if you are a better negotiator than me. Despite this I was still offered a relatively competitive starting salary. * Work is disproportionately assigned to senior IC's meaning as a Tech IC's you do not get many learning opportunities and it is difficult to gain the necessary experience to move up within the company * Employer pension contribution is not competitive compared to other employers * Not particularly related to why I left, nor would it have affected me, but I think prospective new employees should be aware there is a high turn over of staff.

Advice to Management

I have two pieces of advice: *Firstly the training/ on-boarding process needs a serious revamp. New IC's should receive more specialized training than what the customer receives. I understand there is emphasis on bill-able time but I firmly believe that if you invest more in employee training you will see better performance and staff retention. * As I mentioned above, work is disproportionately assigned the... (more) senior IC's and Tech IC's (at least my experience anyway) were not assigned to major projects and had to make up billable time through RC's. Your senior IC's really should be managing the projects and most of the configurations/coding should be done through TIC's. This will allow your TIC's to gain more experience in your products while simultaneously leaving your senior IC's less overburdened. To reflect this, I think as a person moves from TIC to IC to SIC their bonus should depend less on billable time and more on a line managers/HR performance review.

EtQ2019-06-28

"It used to be great"

Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in New York, NY

I worked at EtQ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product, giant customers, and challenging work

Cons

Employees are just tools to generate a revenue Their way or the high way! Micro Management

EtQ2019-05-09

"Not worth the risk"

I have been working at EtQ full-time

Pros

New headquarters in Burlington is OK. You won't be alone - there will be a bunch of other miserable people lamenting their decision to join EtQ and trying to come up with a good exit strategy just like you.

Cons

This applies to engineering in headquarters, the rest of the company might be better. Management is clearly in over their heads - I've witnessed numerous angry episodes in meetings over trivial things as stress takes it's toll. The current applications use old technology that few other employers are interested in - JSP, Custom Tags, home-grown logging and caching and nearly everything else. The new UI is better,... using Angular, but even that is old as the world moves to ReactJS. Bait and switch hiring tactics - you will be told about micro services and AWS, but it's really, really unlikely that you will work on anything like that. Better dust off that Custom Tags book from 2002. Toxic culture - most people at EtQ are good people just trying to get through their spring, but there are a few who spend most of the day deriding anyone who isn't within earshot to make themselves look better by comparison. It's not only tolerated by management, it seems to be encouraged. When the current push to overhaul the product fails, the people who cause the failure will successfully shift the blame to others - don't let that be you. Don't believe the positive reviews - most of them are pretty clearly written by management or HR, who then write responses agreeing with themselves. They surely aren't the only company that does this, but it is pathetic nonetheless. There are a lot of companies hiring in the Boston area, you can definitely do better than this one.

Advice to Management

Current management is the ultimate source of the problem. Nothing anyone says to them will fix anything.

EtQ2019-05-06
  9. "Good Growing Company to Work for."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at EtQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewards being a good strong employee.

Cons

Inconsistency of Expectations from leadership.

EtQ2019-03-20

"Start up culture married with tenured stability"

I have been working at EtQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

New to the Boston area, but making a splash. Company has a long tenure in the Quality space, and is known as a leader. And they've got the blue chip customers to prove it. Cool new office and a progressive culture.

Cons

The new office is already full, but the company is expanding office space later this year.

EtQ2019-02-01