Enel X Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Nov 14, 2019

3.5
Enel X CEO Surya Panditi
Surya Panditi
Pros
  • "great people, real innovation and great work life balance(in 20 reviews)

• "Great benefits - smart people - great teams(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Employees are so passionate about the work that they sometimes don't ensure work/life balance by setting boundaries for work time(in 17 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't really care about employees(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Job - Great Experience"

I worked at Enel X full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company had a positive work atmosphere with pro-team mentality. Lots of opportunity for advancement in the early years. It's a great place to start your career off in the Energy Space.

Cons

With all large corporations/companies, there were a lot of changes going on as the company grew. If you're not accustomed to a lot of changes in the workplace it might not be the place for you.

Enel X2018-02-23
  2. "Database Maintenance Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Entry in North York, ON

I worked at Enel X full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice working Environment, flexible to needs

Cons

growth opportunity is less, work overload

Enel X2017-10-10

"The people keep me here"

I have been working at Enel X full-time

Pros

The Vancouver office is full of young, interesting people who are all very similar so it creates a cohesive social culture. Flexible schedules, no micromanaging and generally relaxed atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Unless you have direct links to Boston I'm uncertain of how to progress your career in the Vancouver office. HR seems a bit clueless about what "remote" employees value despite attempting to demonstrate otherwise. The utility product has a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Get more people from Vancouver out to HQ. Enable employees to build the inter-office relationships that will help everyone feel more connected and valued.

Enel X2016-04-12

"Wonderful company with a great mission"

Product Management in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Enel X

Pros

My job at EnerNOC is the most enjoyable I've had in my career. The people are high-calibre and are united on a mission I care deeply about - to change the way the world uses energy. I would highly recommend EnerNOC to friends as a place to work.

Cons

The company is in a period of transition having acquired several companies and rapidly expanding the software business. This is a great challenge and environment for those that are up for it but there are still many details to work out.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow leadership opportunities in the Vancouver office and other remote offices. This can be a challenge with headquarters in Boston but plays an important role in making remote employees feel important in the larger company.

"EnerNOC"

I have been working at Enel X full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leading technology in an innovative and relevant industry Industry has a tangible and direct impact Industry and products are so varied and expansive that there are numerous avenues to grow your career.

Cons

Industry can be misunderstood Acquisitions have caused some confusion in the processes and goals with duplication of design and effort. While the corporate culture is very vibrant is does seem disjointed between teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on product and service cross training. Behavioral training can help engage our customers but without the proper feedback changes and interactive network (eg social media) we can fail to achieve our goals.

Enel X2016-04-04
  6. "Cool Tech with Green Concious"

Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Enel X

Pros

Cool technology Environmentally conscious company Solid salary and benefits

Cons

Unclear product future A lot of effort going into consolidating products from acquired companies

Enel X2016-04-09

"Great people, meaningful work"

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Enel X full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a do-gooder like me, but still want to work in a field that deal with real solutions to the world's environmental problems, EnerNOC is a great place. Our Vancouver office has a great culture, people understand the connection between personal health and professional performance. The distance between management and workers is short.

Cons

Pay. Canadian pay does not live up to Silicon Valley standards for a UX/UI designer. Especially not in a place like Vancouver.

Enel X2016-04-01

"Let's Keep It Real"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Enel X full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There's enough flexibility, autonomy, perks, professional development and good honest people to make it a decent nine-to-fiver. The Vancouver office is well within downtown with easy access to food, entertainment, culture, beer and public transit. I don't have to wear a tie. Good fit for people of different age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation... a 'everybody's welcome' mentality. And there is almost more... interest in health and fitness than work. <---That's not a bad thing.

Cons

But as a business...Honestly, I wouldn't personally use the products myself. In other words, its not that inspiring or motivating. Internal processes could be much better. Lack of professional advancement. Bottom line, this is a place you will easily grow out of.

Enel X2016-04-01

"Eminently average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Enel X full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Some talented, helpful & approachable co-workers - Working from home readily accepted; the assumption is you do not need micromanaging and you will get your work done. - Vancouver office easily accessible by public transit. - Options for training & occasional travel (if you're friendly with the right people). - As mentioned in a previous review, it's a decent 9-5 job, but the general attitude of both employees... and management seems to be "meh"

Cons

- The flat management hierarchy is supposed to encourage "meritocracy", but the reality is that only people with political connection, social capital, access to management and a loud voice have their ideas heard. Ideas that challenge the status quo are welcome here in name only. If you want to be heard and make a difference for the better, go elsewhere. - Adequate management & team coordination is sorely lacking.... Self managing teams are supposed to organically coalesce and function efficiently. Ample evidence to the contrary is routinely ignored. - Paths to promotion are poorly defined and subject to political maneuvering rather than talent. Opportunities for professional advancement are sparse and grudgingly dispensed. - Salaries below market average for Vancouver. - Substandard workspace for half the Vancouver office. If you attend an interview, you get taken to the floor with the kitchen, big windows & shiny desks. Most of product development is on the floor with poor ventilation, poor lighting (esp in winter), non-functional kitchen, loose wires, broken chairs & forgotten filing cabinets.

Advice to Management

Replace the meritocracy/self organization myth with some proper management. Promote on talent. Pay your employees their worth.

Enel X2016-04-04

"Management asked us to write reviews... so here it is."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Enel X full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young team of coders, data scientists and engineers. However, all this talent is being wasted working on useless products cooked up by MBAs lacking imagination and proper experience.

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit but on plain seniority and subduedness (exemplified by the extremely poor management of the data science team). Salaries are below average for Vancouver and are just unfair. Employees are paid the same absolute amount irrespective of their degrees and total working hours. Product development management sits in the same open space as coders and data scientists and somehow... believes that their sheer presence ensures good leadership. However, this approach (the self-organizing myth another reviewer alluded to) failed in many occasions: people do whatever they want without any vision or direction. Furthermore, their understanding of energy efficiency and of the underlying statistical concepts is clearly lacking and lead to numerous failed programs.

Advice to Management

Hire proper managers. Come up with a proper product not a copy of what already exists.

Enel X2016-04-19