WorkWave - One Foot in the Future, With "Growing Pains" of the Past | Glassdoor.ca
There are newer employer reviews for WorkWave

"One Foot in the Future, With "Growing Pains" of the Past"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)

I worked at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WorkWave is a company that believes itself to be one marching toward the future and innovating on the way, like a lean, modern start up company with great funding. In many ways, it is an ideal place to work, because it has the financial backing of flagship software, has had the ability to make aggressive business decisions with rapid acquisitions and deals, and it has a vision for the future in a unified suite of software products. These are the kinds of moves that turn a successful software company into an industry leader. WorkWave wants and is making moves toward that goal, and if you ask anyone in the company about this vision, I’m sure that it will align to that for the most part. The benefits are great, the company has regular events for its employees, offers free lunch, and generally offers kind perks to the people who work there. They’re also moving into BellWorks, a massive new office space with innovation and inventiveness at its core.

Cons

There are problems in the company’s culture, however, often attributed to “growing pains” in the recent rapid growth of the company. Whether or not that is true, there are elements of toxicity within the environment at WorkWave and sometimes, one can see cracks in the perception of a happy “Best Place to Work” that is so well-maintained. If you peruse the reviews, you’ll find plenty of nondescript short-answer praises of the company that shadow out other reviews from people with complaints of a culture that felt exclusionary and limiting for one reason or another. Engineers leaving this company have pointed out problems with management and supportability of software among other things, but when good things are said, rarely ever is the internal communication or development process particularly praised. There is reason for that. The vision that is shared from the top is having a lot of trouble in its actual implementation, and instead of getting the opinions of the people who actually do the work on these features, developers get hit with “accelerated” deadlines and “aggressive” roadmaps by proxy through middle management. Integrating products sounds really cool from the top, but when that integration isn’t well-supported by smart software development decisions, it builds a house of cards.

Not only that, but there is also a culture within engineering that smells toxic, and I’ve experienced that element more and more as I remained at the company. I can’t speak to other departments, because I didn’t really work in them. As a concrete example of this, one day I was staying late to finish up some work on a feature that was lagging somewhat (something I don’t mind doing, but building a culture of this is obviously detrimental and another problem entirely of developer superiority complexes.) Most of the other engineers had left, and I saw a group of the “old timer” engineers displaying pictures of one of the newer engineers on a projector and deriding this person, making fun them and laughing at their expense. I didn’t report this, because I’m not the kind of person who wants to cause trouble and people were already talking crap about me for being on social media in the open office environment. I was so repulsed by this that I grabbed my stuff and left to keep working at home. That, combined with a culture that thinks it’s a good idea to report new hires to management for “taking too many breaks” or “being on social media” without knowing anything about how much an employee _actually does_ should be a major red flag to any prospective or existing employee here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is in expanding their influence and employee knowledge to make smarter decisions. There is an influx of new people. If they are from successful backgrounds, and NOT just upper/middle management, try and learn something from them. If your employees have some problem and you dismiss it as a “reality of the company,” you are not doing your job, and you are not encouraging your people to do their jobs. If there is visible friction between older employees and newer employees, you are going to continue to have growing pains, and they will get worse and breed toxicity. There are cliques and they need to be broken or made more friendly and inclusive somehow. You’re doing well with the work/life balance and perks, but that is not all it takes to make a family. Not even close.

24 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're super excited about our upcoming relocation to BellWorks, and eager to share our continued growth and success with our talented employees. We're glad to hear ... More

Other Employee Reviews for WorkWave

"Excellent Place to Work"

Pros

Great atmosphere, good benefits, great work life balance, and really good people. This has been a great place to be. I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

We're not very good at crafting experiences. Chasing features and not stopping to pay back our technical and product debt will burn us when a strong competitor comes around.

People like their jobs but aren't sold on how what they do impacts customers.

Advice to Management

The feeling of coming to work at WorkWave is excellent already, but do two more things:

1. Have an Apple style "Snow Leopard" period of reflection and realize that reliability and friendliness sells products as much as new features. And that doesn't just mean marketing it better; it means building it better.
    2. To keep people engaged with their jobs try and find ways to remind them of how what they do impacts our customers.

23 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks WorkWaver! We're glad to hear that you like the environment, people, perks and culture! Since Glassdoor doesn't allow for the an open dialogue on your suggestions, I encourage you to talk ... More

"Good an bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance, laid back environment, casual dress, most major holidays off, you have the ability to work from home

Cons

The place is full of cliques. They rather higher people from outside than use the talented individuals they already have working there. They make you feel like it is a place you can build a career but there appears to be no upwards mobility. Not really sure that upper management really knows how the people are treated by middle management. If you care and speak up you may get a target placed on you. The free lunch isn't really free since you have to work while you eat it. We do these anonymous surveys where they use your feedback to make the place better but lately instead of going over the results they go over them in a one on one setting where it feels like they are trying to see who said what. The few do 80 percent of the work while the others skate by and get all the praise. The ones thy do the work don't get the promotions though. The raises if you get one are small and for all the hard work you do you don't even get year end bonuses. We used to feel like a family but now it's more like we are replaceable numbers.

Advice to Management

I have read the reviews and the responses. Maybe you should look into what is being said instead of saying they are wrong because I can assure you that they are not.

31 Dec, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Advancement opportunities are indeed available to those that work hard and embrace our core values. In fact, we had over 12 employees do just that in the last quarter alone! We are beyond proud and ... More