Volvo Car USA - Not what i expected, life changed and i got promises that the Americans could not provide | Glassdoor.ca

"Not what i expected, life changed and i got promises that the Americans could not provide"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long hours equal more money, that is a con too. Nice people, but they are getting angry daily Potential union, which i do not believe in but this location needs it. Clean locker rooms to shower in Smoking is not allowed everywhere Free coffee

Cons

Everything, no communication, little direction and we make vehicles for no one. I mean, i was fooled by the Swedish people when they said this will be a culture to stay. If you think about working here for anything other than the money, do not do it. Before you sign on, go look at the parking lot, 8,000 vehicles made, 6,000 in the parking lot that cannot be sold. Joke HR is not existent, no policies for a year... since i was hired. How many days can i miss, not sure i guess it is up to my supervisor. When i left there was still no policy book and we all just printed random information off the online site. Not sure if it is even real. What a joke.

Advice to Management

Communicate Get real Do not be an idealist, be a realist Listen to your team Be approachable Listen Learn Be nice and treat people as they are not idiots. I know i work in a factory, no education, but do not treat me like i am sum. Seriously Present me a revision of a policy book Smile and pretend like your happy, cause we on the line are not and could use the motivation. Do not work me long hours for... cars that cannot be sold Do not lie to me at noon, saying i am working until 5:40, make accommodations for my children, then at 2:30 tell me we do not have parts an cannot make the cars that no one will buy. AGH get it togther. More to say, just very sad about changing my life for an empty promise.

Volvo Car USA2019-06-06

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great potential executed poorly"

Current Employee - Team Member in Ridgeville, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and progression is more than what I’ve seen for other companies. I like my supervisor. Corporate values. Non-Union in Charleston. Opportunity for growth. Paid leave for child birth. People are great when they aren’t exhausted. Medical on site. Site is secure. Smoking Areas. Free coffee. Team leads and some supervisors are supportive and will work with you.

Cons

Long hours make it difficult to pick my children up without being late. Numbers seem to matter more than employees. HR does little to mitigate conflict. Very militant environment (anything can get you in trouble, like having your cell phone in your pocket, or using your cell phone without being stationary, and it seems outside management won’t stay in their lane). Long hours are very common, working 50-58 hours per... week for months. Seniority does not seem to matter to HR, as temps can act completely rude and your work and progression is recognized very little. The points system is very unbalanced with the hours we work. No separate sick leave from PTO, and you are charged PTO if you have it and you call in sick or need to leave early unscheduled.

Advice to Management

Remember what was sold to every employee, Volvo is supposed to be a people company. It is a numbers company in Charleston unless you work in the office. Every job has ups and downs, and the downs are outweighing the ups, and it shows from the retention rate. Work on keeping employees, not cycling them and replacing them.

Volvo Car USA2019-09-14

"Unorganized, poorly managed - leave it up to the USA to screw it up"

Current Employee - IMQ Engineer in Ridgeville, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid on payday. (Unless your leaving then they take your last paycheck which you find out on payday)

Cons

Management is garbage, no directions, no vision, no standardized work. Free for all from the management team. Company doesn’t believe in department lanes (you know, make your dept #1) Nope, so you may have been hired as a QE busy rest assured you’ll be coordinating trucks, ordering parts, reworking cars but hey, it’s in the name of “team work”. Worse place I’ve ever been. Had to hire an attorney because... the company decided they would triple the costs of my moving package and stick me with a $28k fee for leaving early. No integrity. Poorly managed. Rude & clueless.

Advice to Management

Read a book on structure. “stay in your lane” Not everything is a “coaching moment”. Leaders help others lead

Volvo Car USA2019-08-09

Discover more reviews about Volvo Car USA.