Thomas Sanderson - Sales Designer | Glassdoor.ca

"Sales Designer"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England (UK)
Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission and supportive team and technical support. Great basic payment for first 7 weeks to get you started. Good for people new to sales and good place to start career good learning curve. Good office staff very helpful.

Cons

Not very flexible, inexperienced managers using school ground tactics of manipulation & favouritism. The top sales people seem to get the best appointments, keeping the status quo

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair to new beginners and help them grow, listen to both sides of the story when there is a dispute.

Other Employee Reviews for Thomas Sanderson

1. "Took a lot of hard work to make it pay anything half decent"

Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Sanderson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are some of the best on the market and loved by most people although similar products are available from an increasing number of other sources for a lot less money, something you are not told. The commission you earn is paid very promptly but mistakes often occurred which I had to chase or I would lose considerable amounts of money.
    The training is very good but you are not told everything quite as it is in practice. There was a lot of support when the team was stable but there was a lot of manager churn. I met some lovely people which I will miss now I have moved on. Despite the short time scales, the area manager was always committed to you and the appointments involved travel within a sensible geographical area

Cons

I was recruited for my honesty and professionalism and then expected to adopt sales practices that were deceptive. I was encouraged to generate my own business which I did in abundance at substantial time (60-70 hour weeks) and financial cost (equipment and shows) to myself but found disinterest and resistance from the company both it actually tooling me to do this side of the work and in working with the own business leads generated. Sadly I found to my cost that they were more interested in calling me to pester me to cover extra company leads than appointing the ones I generated.
    The pricing tools were clunky and inflexible and made the appointment in front of the customer unnecessarily hard work and hindrance to closing the sale. The pricing was very high and therefore most sales were routinely with large promotions and high discounts to present anything but an embarrassingly high cost which left almost no commission for me on jobs I had put hours of work into. Promotions changed often and sometime were hard or even impossible to find on the pricing tools.

Advice to Management

You need to get to the bottom of the reasons for high turnover of designers which must be very costly for the company? Despite winning a number of prizes I moved onto something else primarily because of the following reasons...
    1. "it is always assumed in the first instance when something doesn't add up that it is the designer's fault" - customer's seemed to be believed before a designer
    2. the attitude to the designer is not good - being constantly referred to as "Designer" or even "des" makes you feel like a number at best. I also disliked customers being referred to as Mr or Mrs.
    3. Calls/queries always seemed to be directed at me on my day off or while I was in appointments that are clearly on the diary and then people wonder why I do not answer or respond immediately!
    4. If you recruit me for my honesty and integrity do not expect me to follow mandatory procedures that are not honest in front of the customer! I intend to keep my integrity thanks very much.
    5. When I have invested a lot of time and money in generating own business and been successful in doing so, please do not treat it as unimportant
    6. When I don't secure a sale in the allocated maximum 3 day period and with the limited discount available to me please don't say I didn't sell it and take away all my commission. I drove there and worked hard winning the customer over for 2 hours or more - so when someone calls with a heavily discounted price a week later and sells it - remember it was actually me that sold to the customer!

Finally - designers desperately need a work life balance - not knowing till 9.00 or even sometimes 10.00 at night which slots you are working the next day 5-7 days a week and driving and facing all kinds of customer in all weathers is a very tough call - try it sometime!

2. "Loved this company"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fabulous Training and support, regular meetings, amazing incentives and really generous commission structure. Products easy to sell as they are the best I have ever seen and my customers loved them

Cons

I didn't want to leave but personal circumstances said I had too. I know the door is open and cannot wait to go back : )