The Conference Board of Canada - EVERYTHING IS FINE! | Glassdoor.ca

"EVERYTHING IS FINE!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Our employees are always getting to meet and work with variety of new colleagues. We produce top of the line research into organizational performance and leadership development. We fully take these practices to heart in our offices, thereby contributing to a harmonious work environment. In-person staff feedback is resoundingly positive.

Cons

Any negative sentiments towards our organization and its leadership team must be borne from a sense of entitlement by employees who deserve to, and probably already have had their “positions terminated”. No sweat though, our compassionate HR team are experts in quickly re-hiring the same positions every year to year-and-a-half. Those who have defied the odds and managed to keep their jobs have done so based purely... on recognized merit and nothing else quantifiable. Anyone remotely critical of our employment and/or business practices clearly isn’t on board with our new direction that involves taking everything the previous administration did and intensifying it to a comical degree.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, weather the storm, some other vapid cliché. Let’s all pat each other on the back and continue to proclaim that we’re one of Ottawa’s top employers with a viable business strategy and bright future. We should also invest more in planted Glassdoor company reviews.

The Conference Board of Canada2019-04-04

Other Employee Reviews

"Disappointing experience in an unstable environment"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at The Conference Board of Canada full-time

Pros

Opportunities to work on a variety of topics with interesting, intelligent people.

Cons

Working here was a stressful experience, thanks to the quarterly mass layoffs, having unrealistic timelines in which to produce results, and low office morale. Several of the senior management and executive team members are known bullies, but HR has yet to address the issue. This job looks good on a resume but it's not worth the drama.

Advice to Management

Stop paying overtime hours at a 50% rate of pay.

The Conference Board of Canada2019-09-21

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vacation entitlement based on seniority and week-long holiday office closure; RRSP matching and supplemental/incremental contributions based on seniority; Affordable onsite parking; Compensation is good for directors and above. Rest of staff are paid at or below market rates depending on seniority; Dedicated onsite workout/gym room and shower facilities.

Cons

Do not get fooled by the re-brand, shiny new website, new mission statement or new corporate values. These were cookie cutter check box items that have been used as smoke screens to mask the real issues and give the illusion the organization cares about its employees and customers. In the last 2 years, this organization has gone from a fun, friendly and positive workplace to a quasi dictatorship that drives... fear and intimidation by a ‘fall in line’ policy upheld by incompetent management. The organization has been transformed by arguably the most incompetent group of executives to be assembled. If not for the not-for-profit charity status, a company run by these ‘executives’ would have gone under several months ago. But let’s not fret, as the president keeps re-affirming: 'we own our building!'. Bottom line, the organization is in rough shape and management will do anything to hold on to power and chase the next dollar. I used to think the research conducted by the organization had meaningful impact in shaping policy for the country. It’s sad to say that the Conference Board has become an organization of hypocrites and gravitates to trendy hot topics, with little to no in house expertise, in order to generate a quick dollar. As examples, they actively promote mental health initiatives, work/life balance, workplace well being and culture while treating their own employees as follows: 1) Managing employees as if they are teenagers by mandating a work schedule that requires employees to be physically present in the office between certain hours and by abolishing any workplace flexibility or family friendly policies/lenience (remote work, odd hour work etc.) 2) Instilling a culture of fear by tolerating, encouraging and promoting bad managers that bully and intimidate employees. 3) Reprimanding and/or terminating employees who have a diverging opinion than that of management and who speak up about workplace issues to their superior, senior management or via Glassdoor. 4) Terminating employees that are on or have just returned from maternity leave, stress or sick leave. It’s been alluded to in other reviews, but I would like to re-iterate it because it is representative of my experience with this organization. The president, executive team and a hand full of loyal subjects run the company like an incompetent dictatorship. Dissidents are sought out and are purged (terminated) on a regular basis, which creates a culture of fear and paranoia throughout the company. If you strive in a chaotic/yes man work environment, love to play corporate games and sell your soul for career advancement, the Conference Board is for you! Don’t say you weren’t warned!

Advice to Management

Who are we kidding here? Advice to management? They have most likely tasked the ‘Employee Engagement Department’ along with Human Resources to try and suppress this post and continue to snuff out authors of negative reviews in order to complete the purge. Keep solving those wicked problems by taking a Board wide approach. The ship looks great at the bottom of the ocean.

The Conference Board of Canada2019-10-16

Discover more reviews about The Conference Board of Canada.