Starbucks - If You're a People Person, this Job is For You | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
Cons
  • "They dont let you have work life balance" (in 411 reviews)

• "If you don't like fast paced environment then its nor for you" (in 538 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"If You're a People Person, this Job is For You"

Current Employee - Barista in Toronto, ON
Current Employee - Barista in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team, and most teams, are amazing. I have made genuine friends in the two stores I worked at. I made amazing customer connections, and I look forward to seeing my regulars. You get a free drink before, during, and after your shifts. The benefits are amazing- tuition reimbursement , bean stock, and it's easy to move up in the company. It depends on your manager, however. I work at a store with high-turnover so my boss encouraged me to become a barista trainer and told me if I ever had the desire to become a shift supervisor that all I had to do was ask.

The company takes their values extremely seriously- the diversity training that followed this year's incident was legit. In my experience, I can say Starbucks is genuinely committed to being welcoming to all. I like working for a company that doesn't push the kindness/be good to everyone stuff just for sales- it is expected of every employee because those are the company's core ideals.

Cons

As with all jobs in customer service, your experience can be completely altered by your interactions with customers. During the summer it gets extremely busy as you have to make more labour intensive-frappuchinos. If you get easily stressed, you won't enjoy how fast-paced it can get.

If you aren't outgoing or bubbly, you probably won't get hired. My manager hires based off of her first impression. Not experience, but on how friendly you come across. Sometimes it feels like you are putting on a show as you are constantly expected to make quality customer connections. If you're having a bad day, it can be hard to put on this act.

Baristas are expected to act as janitors as well. You're responsible for cleaning bathrooms and occasionally we have to act as security. Due to our "third space" policy, homeless people often use the bathrooms and stores and this has led to issues involving smoking, shaving in our bathrooms, and making other customers uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Hire more shift supervisors! I can't tell you how often shifts have to work overtime or work weeks in a row without a break because we don't have enough shift supervisors.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Very fast paced environment with lots of advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Barrie, ON
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Barrie, ON

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and fast paced work place. Free drinks and pretty decent discount. Weekly coffee or tea markout is awesome

Cons

Can be stressful if you work in a high volume store. Lots to memorize when it comes to drink making.

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good company for summer job

Cons

not enough shifts or benefits

Discover more reviews about Starbucks.