1. COVID-19

"Needs new leadership"

1.0

I have been working at Skillz full-time

Pros

- This company is one of the few that benefitted from people staying home during the COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders. There were layoffs, but I'm almost certain those people were cut for reasons other than revenue impact. - We're still doing fine while working from home (employees have proven they're able to be remote and productive) - Some managers are really great at their jobs - If you're not coming from another tech company, the benefits are okay.

Cons

I'll do my best to keep this as concise as possible, though there are quite a few topics to cover. I can start with the hiring process because it's probably why you're reading this review. - Hiring at Skillz is deeply flawed. There are too few recruiters, no people of color on the recruiting team, and third-party agencies are often contracted to do hiring. I'm assuming this is due to lack of recruiting resources. - The real issues are with the interview process which, if you've read the interview reviews, can be brutal. My interviews took approximately 2 months and ~10-12 hours of my time, prep included (make sure you actually play games, they'll ask for your username and check # of games played). If you'd like a reference point, the process is similar to interviewing at Google if Google didn't care at all about respecting interviewees and had basically nothing to offer. - The founders still do final stage interviews, which is honestly weird at this point. Mental health is not taken seriously at Skillz. - Many people work 8am-7pm during the week. There's a "digital blackout" policy to not work on weekends, but a large portion of Skillzians are working weekends to catch up on the excessive workloads likely resulting from new edicts passed down from leadership on a near weekly basis. - If you're interviewing, ask how many days we've been given off (outside of PTO) to take a break from this pandemic. [it's zero] - Mental health days do not count as sick days, they're counted as PTO. Since we're on the subject of PTO, let's talk about benefits: - Employees are given 15 days of PTO a year (scraps compared to other tech companies, especially startups). - Until June 2020 we had three personal days to take per year. For some reason, during the pandemic, those were taken away. - Health/dental/vision are standard. You'll have choice of HMO or PPO providers for healthcare, a regular or premier dental package, and one selection for vision. There are bi-monthly all-hands meetings (called Town Halls) which are just... a mess. At most companies, all-hands are a time to hear how the company is doing and what people are working on, with time set aside for employees to ask questions of leadership. That is not the case at Skillz. - Town halls occur after business hours and are generally just the CEO giving us quick updates about the company as a whole. We do have team-by-team updates at the beginning and end of each week, so it's not as necessary at these meetings. - Many times, these meetings lack substance (because the CEO lacks substance). We get a pre-written speech and never hear anything genuine - the answers to questions have been either ambiguous or nonexistent (some are skipped). Recently the CEO said he wasn't going to answer any questions that week because they weren't constructive. - We probably won't ever know what those questions were, but we OWN part of this company and are constantly reminded that we are responsible for the growth and culture here, but we're not allowed to ask for genuine answers. - It's well known that being critical here can lead to retaliation. Leadership does not like to be questioned. Let's move on: This company did not start caring about diversity until June 2020. There are no Employee Resource Groups or diverse communities, no people of color in leadership or the board, and very few people of color at the actual company (check the Skillz career page for a picture of the employees - it's not recent but should give you an idea). - The CEO made a statement about protests that basically said "we stand with those fighting for equality because we believe in fairness". Did not mention who was fighting or elaborate on how we were supporting anything. - As far as I know, we did not donate a single penny as a company to any organization related to the protests. We instead had employees donate (which was multiplied 5x, I think by our benefits partner?). These are most of the cons, but a few more I won't discuss in detail: - No stipend for office equipment while WFH until at least January - No trust from leadership. - It took far too long for us to declare mandatory WFH - We're saving a ton on rent in SF but not putting that money towards employees health/benefits at all

Continue reading

"Exciting, fast paced and high growth company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Skillz is a fast- paced and exciting place to work. The company and the technology is cutting edge. It is really rewarding to work for a company whose platform is growing quickly and already powers games that are played by 10's of millions of people across the world. The company is very data driven and employees set goals by which they are measured on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis. The environment is collaborative and fun, supported by frequent group and team building events at the offices. While the high growth environment can be intense, there is a healthy level of work/life balance. Finally, the company provides a strong set of employee benefits (health care, 401k, vacation accruals, commuter, etc).

Cons

The workplace, like many high growth companies, can be intense, as there is a high degree of accountability. So, for some people the fast paced nature of the workplace may not be an ideal fit.

"Skillz is an odd company, just a weird place to work."

1.0

I worked at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are good people there. There is a lot to do, you won’t be bored. When we were in the office, food, snacks and drinks were good. There is some hope it will go somewhere.

Cons

It’s just a super odd place to work, really bizarre culture. Getting mundane things approved like normal expenses was a monumental task. They preach being frugal but it’s way more like being cheap. There is an overwhelming sense of paranoia, like someone is going to tell on you and you’ll get in trouble or fired. So very little trust or autonomy. It’s a culture of micromanagement. Like, REALLY micromanaged. And the leaders show little value in people under them. Candidates have to go through a crazy interview process, which ends up turning many, if not most good candidates away. We had to ask questions with these scripted outlines and rarely spent time getting to know people. We also had to be very guarded in what we would tell people since we knew if that got to a manager we would get in trouble. Glassdoor reviews came up a lot. It is just a really odd strange culture. Very segmented. Not much teamwork. The competitiveness makes its antagonistic and some teams seem to get pleasure out of other teams screwing up. You have to play 35+ games a week or you get in trouble. They track it and call you out on slack. It is just not a professional place to work. You can do much better, even in this economy. I wish I had given more weight to previous reviews on here.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Skillz.