Silicon Valley Community Foundation - A Culture of Fear | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Four weeks of PTO, volunteer time-off, smart co-workers (the individual contributors), nice office setting, interesting donors with interesting causes

Cons

Although upper management promotes a "culture of candor" and says they encourage employee feedback and questions, this simply is not true. Unfortunately, it's more of a culture of fear. If an employee speaks up to question a process, a decision, or anyone in authority, they are quickly ridiculed and even publicly humiliated in staff or division meetings. There is also no true transparent process for promotions, with perceived favorites of the "chiefs" usually being promoted (without having to interview or apply for positions), often after having only worked at the foundation for mere months.

The three chiefs who report directly to the CEO are afraid of him and tend to act more as "bobble-heads" than as true leaders and managers. Everyone is afraid of the CEO and making him mad. Employees are truly seen as replaceable, and the turn-over rate is extremely high. More than 80% of the employees have worked there less than one year. HR has little power to address the real issue, the chiefs. One of the chiefs is extremely insecure and will likely be sued for sexual harassment one day. There might be hope, one day, for the foundation, after the four top managers leave.

Advice to Management

Respect all employees. Embrace the word community in community foundation and show compassion and concern for both your internal and external communities. The nonprofit community simply doesn't care that you hold $2 billion in assets. What are you doing for the community?

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Best Non profit I've worked at."

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and sincere people

Cons

possible can be better pay

Advice to Management

Hold Chiefs Accountable if warranted

"Overworked staff with Rude, abusive leadership"

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employee benefits for a nonprofit, Very committed colleagues that believe in the mission

Cons

Board is not informed of high staff turnover, leadership claims that staff is like a family but blatantly abuses staff. My supervisors took personal anger out on me for no reason, dismissed my ideas in meetings, and was often rude and critical of my work, while offering no constructive ways to improve it.

Advice to Management

Be honest with board about staff turnover. Invest more in professional development and do more than monthly coffee & pastries for staff.

Discover more reviews about Silicon Valley Community Foundation.