Employee Review

Former Intern, more than 3 years

Great Culture; Sometimes Incremental Work

May 2, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

The human focused culture at Shopify is second-to-none in Canada, in my opinion.

Cons

The work that I was doing was relatively incremental and I had to zoom out pretty far in order to understand how it might impact real people which is why I chose not to pursue fulltime.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Jul 13, 2021 - Technical Sourcer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- It's the only company that's ever truly valued my skillset and actually taken my feedback into consideration. - Unlimited PTO isn't just lip service. I'm going to end up taking ~5 weeks this year and that's not including Holiday's or summer Friday's (we've been given all summer Friday's off...it's great) - Remote first. No plans to return to an office (this can definitely be a Con for some people) - Business is booming. I don't worry about getting laid off. My role continues to grow as the company grows.

Cons

- We probably aren't paying top of market in the US. I can almost certainly get paid more working at a FAANG. I believe we're revising comp right now, but I don't have particularly high expectations. Pay certainly isn't terrible, but there's room for improvement. - Senior leadership can sometimes come across as callous when addressing employee concerns. I get it to some degree (people complaining about work from home still when we've known about it for over a year, for example), but I think they could strike a softer tone sometimes. - There's a handful of people who have been promoted into positions that they simply aren't equipped for anymore. We've scaled quickly and hired a ton of great people in the process. As a result, you sometimes have really strong teams led by really weak Managers. This has definitely contributed to some (not all) of the attrition we're seeing

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee

Not the old Shopify anymore — what made it great is slowly disappearing

May 18, 2021 - Product Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most people are nice and friendly to work with which makes the job bearable. Really brilliant folks in some corners of the company that are smart and inspiring. We get some remote benefits but not a lot for a remote company.

Cons

Mass exodus of folks who have been here for 3-10 years ever since fall of last year. Leaves you with a lot of new people trying to get their footing with not a lot of people to show you the ropes. Shopify magic is disappearing with the offices gone and these tenured folks leaving. They know when it’s gone. Be prepared for constantly changing teams and management structures. No UX Researchers, every team has to do their own research and you can imagine how that is going. Product researchers do research for product directors and not for teams.

Continue reading
    17 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Shopify.