Employee Review

1. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A good employer if your team likes you

Feb 3, 2021 - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay package, perks, and other financial benefits. Working here will surely help you evolve into a better software engineer.

Cons

I'm not saying that all teams/employees are like this, but here are some negatives I found from my experience. Some employees/teams can be very judgemental, i.e. one wrong move on the wrong day and you're out. At the same time, some teams are more lenient and even take syntax errors lightly. Work-life imbalance, especially after they went remote. Some employees/teams have strange expectations. Say, your task depends on a senior member from another team. You might be blamed for delays caused by that member. Unequal treatment of employees in certain teams, e.g. a lead or a senior developer can break prod with their mistake and the team laughs it off, while a junior developer can be criticized for small things like code-style preferences. When I needed help understanding some vaguely described issues, nobody was available to reply to my messages. However, I was surprised to see that even the busiest team member would take time to help the other noob that joined. Not only by replying to their messages, but by even jumping on a pair-programming session. Some teams are not open/ready to accept new members, e.g. if they don't like you, they won't reply to your messages or GitHub comments, they'll take weeks to review even the simplest PR you write, they won't hesitate to make a big issue out of any small mistake you might make. Doesn't matter if you get your work done and work hard to meet the team's expectations (growth mindset), if you don't have a certain "je ne sais quoi", the team will not cooperate with you. Some teams are not good at communicating, e.g. vague comments on PRs which might take 15-30 mins to decipher. E.g., someone might post a vague comment about something and if you try to address that comment by changing your code, they might post a follow-up comment saying, "you don't have to change the code just because I suggested". Additionally, delay in PR reviews can make you feel useless and makes it look as if you're taking more time to do your work. Improper feedback might lead you down the wrong path, e.g. I was always told by my lead that I was "on the right track", until the last month when they suddenly sent me a warning to terminate my employment. Finally, if they put you on probation, chances are that they've already decided to terminate you. I did my performance-evaluation task way before the deadline that was assigned to me, but I was terminated despite that. And... I wasn't even asked for my feedback when I was being terminated. In summary, I've never had such a strange experience in the 10+ years of my career. Again, maybe it's all my fault. Please don't be discouraged by the points I shared above. I'm just saying that a series of unfortunate events is probable.

Continue reading
    17 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 3 years

Great Culture; Sometimes Incremental Work

May 2, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

The human focused culture at Shopify is second-to-none in Canada, in my opinion.

Cons

The work that I was doing was relatively incremental and I had to zoom out pretty far in order to understand how it might impact real people which is why I chose not to pursue fulltime.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee

Not the old Shopify anymore — what made it great is slowly disappearing

May 18, 2021 - Product Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most people are nice and friendly to work with which makes the job bearable. Really brilliant folks in some corners of the company that are smart and inspiring. We get some remote benefits but not a lot for a remote company.

Cons

Mass exodus of folks who have been here for 3-10 years ever since fall of last year. Leaves you with a lot of new people trying to get their footing with not a lot of people to show you the ropes. Shopify magic is disappearing with the offices gone and these tenured folks leaving. They know when it’s gone. Be prepared for constantly changing teams and management structures. No UX Researchers, every team has to do their own research and you can imagine how that is going. Product researchers do research for product directors and not for teams.

Continue reading
    12 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Shopify.