Employee Review

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, poor execution

Jun 22, 2021 - Anonymous
    Business Outlook

Pros

Riipen has a mission that the entire team believes in, and the company is full of great people who care deeply about their work. The company is trying to solve graduate underemployment, which is exciting to be a part of. It is a wonderful place for new graduates and interns to gain experience. The founders and senior leadership are accessible and genuinely want to help people succeed. Flexible remote-first culture and 4 weeks of vacation.

Cons

Compensation is low for a tech company, and talent retention is a problem. Equity is not available to most of the team. The company reorganizes departments and changes employee titles every quarter. There is a lack of diversity among the leadership and a lack of transparency from the founders and management regarding compensation, decision-making, departures, and company direction. The business model only seems to work with government funding and grants. Customers love the team, not the product.

Riipen Response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of working at Riipen and I am so sorry that there were some things about your time with us that didn't feel great. Your comment about compensation is well timed; you must have just left before we re-launched our compensation program (including sharing all of our salary bands, really tackling transparency) at Riipen in late June which also included a new program granting ESOP to every Riipeneer. Thank you for being a part of Riipen's story and we wish you every success as your forge your path forwards. - Sarah

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great culture, hardcore sales expectations

Sep 15, 2021 - Industry Partnerships
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is amazing here and they value your growth

Cons

Lack of funding and HR department is a bit messy. Claims there are new role and even interviewed for it, but they informed me (after I asked) last minute they are no longer offering this position due to budgeting reasons.

Riipen Response

Hi there - thank you for sharing your experience working as an intern on our Employer partnerships team. I always appreciate sharing with your community the good and the not so good, it helps us know where to focus our efforts. We are thrilled that the culture resonated with you - it is something we are so so proud of, and you as an intern made a huge contribution to that culture, so thank you! I am not quite sure what you are referencing with the lack of an HR Department - we have a team of 3 (of which I am one) and as any start up, sometimes what we think we need as a role, transforms and is no longer required, or turns into something else, although we try and mitigate that wherever possible. Once again, thank you for sharing your Riipen experience with the world, internships are such an important part of Riipen and thank you for being a part of our story. - Sarah (Head of P&C)

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Entry Level Starting Point

Sep 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Excellent introduction to Ed-Tech at the entry level - Good people first culture for the most part - Diverse team from across Canada/US - Good product market fit on educators side of the marketplace - Competitive salaries at the entry level, less so in more senior positions

Cons

- Some inexperienced leadership - a few excellent department heads with industry expertise to learn from, but certainly in the minority with turnover by key hires to these roles. - Lacking product market fit on the industry side of the platform - Lots of fire drills and changing direction - expected for a startup but excessive at this stage in the company's growth. Extremely counter productive and causes massive spikes in workload. - Lack of growth opportunity. Easy to outgrow your role and hit a ceiling.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Riipen.