Employee Review

1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

It WAS a great place to work

Sep 30, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

They compensate employees really well. Having catered lunches was nice. I learned a ton there and worked with some great people before they left.

Cons

The senior management made a lot of big bets that never paid off. There has been tons of turnover, those who stayed got promoted, even if they weren't qualified to perform the task. They treat their product managers poorly, give them little leeway to make meaningful change. Office politics were rampant if you wanted to change anything you had to back channel everything, have meetings before meetings. Decisions were not made in meetings, all discussion in meetings was futile, it was always a formality. Managers would tell you what you wanted to hear, then renege on it later. Life at RetailMeNot evolved to process without purpose, and became a total drag.

5 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Work Environment

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture and team environment.

Cons

Nothing right now - things are going well

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ain’t what it used to be

Nov 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on the department, pay is competitive and overall benefits are standard for tech, better than the average job outside of it. Upper management can be very transparent which is a breath of fresh air compared to previous companies.

Cons

This is a completely different company from the one I joined in 2017. I used to say I would never leave, and if the org hadn’t been through so many acquisitions I would definitely still be there. The integrations with Harland Clarke and Ziff Davis took away so much of what made this place special. Turnover is so high I barely knew anyone by the time I left. So sad to see from a company that had incredible employee retention. Hiring got to be so slow as well, if anyone on your team (or even your manager!) left you would be expected to take on their work without additional pay or a promotion. This company is slowly wearing its employees down. The new management is difficult to please and often asks for unimportant work to be prioritized over necessary maintenance and progress. I had extremely negative interactions with new management being closed to feedback and dismissing ideas and historical knowledge from tenured employees, assuming they know more.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about RetailMeNot.