Cover image for Rakuten

Software Engineer -2
      Former Employee
      Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work in.

Cons

Every thing is great . Go for it,

1. 5.0
        Aug 28, 2023
        Former Employee
        Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed all the people here

Cons

No cons that I encountered

1. 4.0
          Aug 13, 2023
          Software Engineer
          Current Employee, more than 5 years
          San Mateo, CA
          Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch for the major campuses. Free food. Free beverages. Half day off on Fridays between Memorial and Labor Day. Actual vacation days (15 minimum), not the all-you-can-take BS. The company really cares about diversity and many other PC causes.

Cons

The company cares too much about diversity and PC causes. Way too much time is spent on the weekly all-company meeting "Asakai" on these topics. It is sometimes useful and often is a total waste of time. Please I just need to know how the company is doing financially, and get back to do my work. Information is very siloized. One big reason is because everyone still spends most of their time WFH, at least on the engineering side. Oh, sure, we are all supposed to come to work 3 days a week, but this is not enforced at all. A natural consequence is the rank-and-file seldom talks to their peers and only the managers know what's going on. This is great of you are one of those people who just likes to take orders and march, but it makes a very frustrating experience if you want to have a say on what you are doing and decide whether you are doing the right thing for the company. If you have been in the company for a long time, you will be fine, because you know who to talk to and where to find stuff, but if you are new, you'd better be extra-motivated.

Discover more reviews about Rakuten.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

192.7K

Case Analyst

Just venting: Is anyone else fed up with the usernames, passwords, authentication codes, email verification, etc.? Most hiring companies use workday, items, and Taleo but each company on those sites requires a different password. It is just another layer to the job search process.

0 Comments

Project Coordinator

I recently had an interview with a hiring manager. The conversation went well in my opinion and they ended it by saying they would “like to schedule a day for me to meet their team and get a feel for the projects they’re working on and then have the conversation about what I’m looking for as far as compensation.” I’m not sure what to expect from this, a part of me feels like this means they might want me for the role, but the process is a little unorthodox from my experience. Any thoughts?

2 Comments

Durham University

Does anyone know the competency based questions you’ll be asked for a Business Development Analyst role at Aon? I have an upcoming pre-recorded online video interview that I have to submit within 7 days.

0 Comments