QIAGEN - You have to practically cozy up to your manager to get promoted | Glassdoor.ca

"You have to practically cozy up to your manager to get promoted"

Current Employee - Scientist in Manchester, England

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working and good work life balance. Diversity is being addressed

Cons

Politics at line management level in Manchester tends to reward themselves. Promotion is not objective, its very subjective to the whims of the line manager. Very few women at the top, hardly any ethnic minority above middle management

Advice to Management

Get on with it. You tend to pat yourself at the back more often than you reflect on mistakes.

QIAGEN2018-05-01
  1. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at QIAGEN full-time for more than a year

Pros

my boss was awesome and made my time over there very enjoyable , the products were the best and I had the best colleagues. teamwork is a core value.

Cons

Have a very hard time understanding the Canadian market. We presented over and over again what made the Canadian maker unique but they were trying to assimilate us to the US maket...

Advice to Management

Adapt! Look at the potential for growth, give it time and success will come. Canada is not the 51th US state. It is a country with it's own culture and traditions.

QIAGEN2016-08-03
  2. "Great Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Technical Assistant

I worked at QIAGEN full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people are amazing, really helpful, hardworking and friendly - The type of work carried out is rewarding - Good training opportunities - Good company benefits - Lots of charity events - Flexible working

Cons

- Work is really up and down, either really busy or have long quiet periods, if not re-resourced. - Flexible working can mean having to wait for colleagues to start work.

Advice to Management

Utilise people when they are free and offer their services.

QIAGEN2019-08-15

Discover more reviews about QIAGEN.