Opencare - Great place to work for passionate people who want to learn! | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to work for passionate people who want to learn!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Opencare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working on the Opencare engineering team for less than a year and I'm happy to say that everything that was sold to me in the interview process is true (and then some). It's an incredibly dedicated team of passionate people who want to do things the right way and are constantly looking to improve. We have a great product that solves an interesting problem the business vision is clearly defined so its easy to feel proud of and excited about what you're doing.

Pros:
- really flexible work from home and vacation policy as well as the ability to set your own hours help promote a great work/life balance and allow you to make sure that when you're at work you're performing at your best

- the leadership team openly encourages/accepts feedback from employees. what's more is they take our feedback seriously and turn it into action items

- the company takes DIBs (diversity, inclusion & belonging) at work seriously!!! we've been doing a lot of work with bright + early and have recently started an internal dibs guild to ensure that we are always improving. the founders and leadership team talk about diversity and their hiring plans very openly as well which is really unique for the toronto tech start up space, i.e this is NOT the typical bro-y startup culture focused on drinking.

- we're a small team so there's a huge opportunity to make an impact as well as learn from all sides of the business. as an engineer i get to regularly interact and collaborate with designers, product managers, customer success managers and even sales and marketing to ensure we're delivering the best product. this has lead to a lot of unique learning opportunities for me!

- lots of career growth and development opportunities! there isn't a cap on learning, if you want to take a class or purchase a book or whatever it is you do to learn the company will support you. the leadership team is dedicated to your professional development: your manager will have regular check ins with you and help you define in set goals to drive you closer to your overarching career goals. recently we've done some cool initiatives to help people find mentors in the field as well

Cons

It's a start up so things move fast and you have to juggle multiple priorities. for some this is an exciting challenge and an environment in which they can thrive and for others this can be overwhelming. If you want to work here recognize where you are on that scale but if you're passionate about what you do and are eager to learn and grow then know you'd be joining a team of like minded people who want to support you and help you reach your goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the things you're already doing - you've created such a special little pocket in the toronto tech scene! I believe in the future of this company and product and i'm excited to see what else will happen in my time here (which will be long)!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Talented, thoughtful, and true to their values"

I have been working at Opencare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team at Opencare are some of the most thoughtful and talented individuals I've ever met! A lot of people speak about "hiring people that are smarter than you" but Opencare is the first place I've really seen this become reality.

Everyone is involved in major decision making from day 1, and there is complete transparency about all aspects of the company (including the full financials) to ensure everyone is a true stakeholder. New hires are quickly entrusted with high-value, high-impact projects with lots of autonomy and support from leaders; a very refreshing change to previous organizations.

The values that are articulated on the website are strictly adhered to in hiring so the culture really does match with what the Founders wanted to build. This makes hiring slow but the calibre of individuals that join allows them to integrate and contribute very quickly.

The leadership is committed to building a long-term sustainable company and really emphasize the need for the team to take time for rest, recuperation, and a focus on wellness.

Overall, I have a tremendous sense of excitement heading to work everyday and look forward to learning and growing with the team around me.

Cons

Hiring does take a long time (due to the focus on hiring people that add to the culture) which means there are some gaps on the team for a while. This can place strain on teams but the managers do try to provide insight and visibility into the work being done to address it.

The fast pace of work can lead to rapid changes in direction and de-prioritized work. This is to be expected in a start up but can be frustrating if you are not used to it.

Advice to Management

Continue to think and look critically at the business and avoid getting swept up in your own hype. You're building something very special and we're excited to be along for the journey!

Continue to share freely and speak openly about decisions and changes, it makes a huge difference to the team.

"Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love what I do any more than I did before..."

I have been working at Opencare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is by far the most intelligent, genuine, and passionate group of people I have had the chance to work with. Being at Opencare has been inspiring, and has made me fall in love with what I do more than ever before. Highlights:

*incredible personal and professional growth opportunities eg access to a performance psychologist on a regular basis, hard work is rewarded (promotions as early as 6 months in)

*the company is growing rapidly and is very healthy, the runway and potential for for Opencare is amazing (this is going to be something big)

*Leadership is outstanding - the founders are very experienced, focussed, 100% transparent about all aspects of the business

*Ownership from day one, all the resources you need to help you reach potential you didn't realize you even had

*very competitive compensation, equity, great benefits and perks (including in-office massages, daily catered organic lunch, unlimited vacation and PTO)

*great work life balance - taking a proactive and holistic approach to your own health and well being is engrained in the culture, and leadership practices what they preach - if you look tired, you will be asked to take time off to rest.

*every decision made in this place is data driven, deliberate, and well thought out.

Cons

*typical startup growing pains - every day presents a new challenge, process is constantly under construction, and you have to be scrappy

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Discover more reviews about Opencare.