NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Low pay, few benefits, no career growth | Glassdoor.ca

"Low pay, few benefits, no career growth"

I worked at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are passionate and very intelligent. 9/80 schedule is great.

Cons

Some inflated egos, incompetent people remain here forever because it’s a cushy gig with a respected name, which leads to problems with career growth (there is no where to grow to if no one ever leaves) and with innovation (clashes with the new classes of employees and new ideas aka asks for completely normal modern processes, tools, and etc. ). Pay is not competitive. Treatment of non-engineering staff is very poor.... They really do not value non-engineering much at all. This includes science. Very little lateral movement for anyone interested in exploring new areas of lab. Not a diverse workforce. The same bad ideas just reverberate.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2019-04-27
  1. "The ideal workplace for space enthusiasts"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Great, academic work environment, with plenty of opportunities to talk and work with innovators and industry experts. Probably the perfect place to work for anyone who really cares about humanity's future in space! My supervisor was a really valuable mentor, and everyone I worked with was friendly and taught me something about their field. Plus, the 9/80 work schedule is really nice.

Cons

The various directorates can be difficult to navigate if you're looking for a contact in a certain group but aren't certain of the group's name.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2019-10-20
  2. "Summer 2019"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Pasadena, CA

I worked at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere full of people driving hard for a mission.

Cons

My mentor was great, but if you have a bad mentor, it is a bit tough to get help from others who are not your mentor.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2019-11-02

Discover more reviews about NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.