"Oh what a difference a year makes"

1.0
    Former Employee - N/A in Ottawa, ON

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The employees. The most talented, dedicated and supportive people I have ever worked with. Hard working professionals devoted to the company, their craft and the success of our clientele. Collectively focused on consistently raising the bar. A unique work culture that was more like a family than anything else. Quirky, unique, loving and fun. Always willing to help each other succeed and to celebrate together.

Cons

The incompetence of the owner and executive in general. A complete management disaster. Expensive senior acquisitions that didn't pan out. Taking key employees for granted and letting them walk. Multiple attempts at reorganizing work structure and process that only resulted in confusion and a lack of cohesion. Manipulating creatives to work overtime with the promise of compensation, which was woefully inadequate. Firing client teams to appease clients, which only made everyone feel expendable. Inept and completely ineffective business development. Promoting people to roles that they were clearly not suited for. The arrogance of executive perks while people are being laid off. And then finally the almost complete collapse of the firm. Dozens dismissed without warning or severance or any hope of ever being justly rewarded for years (or in some cases decades) of dedicated service. A 23-year legacy, due primarily to the hard work of the employees, gone in 12 months.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unique, supportive and well-balanced culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The agency was founded in 1996. So it is young enough to be fresh, exciting and open to new ideas. But it is established enough to have a solid HR function, well-trained and supportive managers, and an excellent work-life balance. As an agency, the clients' needs can often tip that balance during busy times but the agency is very accommodating to balance things out appropriately. It is a very fun, laid-back yet professional environment. And with clients across the US and Europe, there are opportunities for more global exposure--and from time to time, travel.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are actually consistent with any creative agency of that size (80 people, +/-). Internal communication can be challenging and the inherent 'tension' that can exist between clients and creative pops up now and again.

Continue reading
  2. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Account Coordinator in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan for less than a year

Pros

As someone who just finished school, McM has been a great place for me to start off my career. I learn so much from my co-workers everyday… these guys are so talented and aspiring. The support and mentorship has been amazing. I never feel as though I can’t ask a question and they’re always there to help me out when needed. They continue to challenge me with assigning me to new tasks that is unfamiliar ground, but check in on me along the way and offer all the support! Awesome company culture. With Covid 19, I was only in the office a few days before we started working from home, but the office atmosphere is so fun. They definitely work hard, but are not afraid to let loose once and awhile. Constantly tossing joking with one another, dogs are always welcome to visit, beer cart comes out on Fridays and snacks for all! Even with Covid, McM set up a Friday social hour and we recently have been meeting in the park for lunches A lot of their clients are international which is not something you get to experience so often in Ottawa and definitely makes a work a little more fun and interesting. The new office is beautiful. Right in the heart of downtown Ottawa. Brand new, lots of windows and plants, close enough proximity to everyone in the office so you can collaborate easily and feel like a close knit group. Did I mention dogs are welcome in the office?

Cons

Not enough dogs not that we're working from home

Discover more reviews about McMillan.