McMillan - Opportunities and Dangers | Glassdoor.ca

"Opportunities and Dangers"

Former Employee - Strategist in Ottawa, ON

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful office, great peers, above-average pay, and international exposure. You'll find some of the most talented writers and designers in Ottawa, and the sense of camaraderie is strong. You'll learn a lot in the first two-three years from experienced and passionate colleagues. But leave before you get complacent...or fired unexpectedly.

Cons

- Consistent track record of tolerating toxic personalities in management, firing them long after the damage is done - Poor communication from the top. Your coworkers might disappear (one-at-a-time over a week or two, or all at once, like recently). Clients might disappear. The company strategy changes regularly without clear goals that everyone can get behind. - Creative teams are treated well, but account,... development, and administrative staff are often left felt like second-class citizens with few opportunities to advance - Mid-level managers, including creative directors, often complain that they have little control, with most decisions dictated from the top.

Advice to Management

- The strong proportion of B2B work means that most clients don't value marketing or want to spend much money on it. This takes a toll on staff, in all the ways. - The top-heavy corporate structure leads to more layoffs than necessary. Thinning out the management and keeping just the best would make the company much more resilient in lean times. We're in a bubble now, leaner times are certainly coming. - Connect... more with the surrounding creative community. Fewer people in Ottawa know McMillan than ten years ago. The time that McM could coast on a previous reputation is done - too many people used to work there.

McMillan2019-04-21

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Positive workplace with a growing performance culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

No egos Competitive salary and benefits Friendly and supportive working environment Not hierarchical Focused on positive growth and performance Respectful Fun Locally owned and operated No micro-management styles

Cons

Opportunity to improve and formalize some processes for how teams can/should work together. At times teams people can become silo'd and lack clarity roles and expectations for projects. Opportunity to become firmer with regards to performance management to help demonstrate clear and defined expectations.

McMillan2019-01-09

"Identity crisis?"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented people, accessible execs, wide range of experts from who you can learn from, great office spaces and openness to new ideas, fun no-drama colleagues, events outside of work.

Cons

We position ourselves as a brand experience agency, but we often accept work/projects that are disconnected from our strengths. It takes a lot of time to even know where we are going in terms of projects or processes. People are strong-willed, committed to great work but disorganized to make it happen. Nobody really knows who owns what, roles are unclear so too much time is taken before we do what we do best.

Advice to Management

Clarify roles. Simplify processes. Reduce the number of communication channels with clients but make them better. Roadtest all this more quickly and communicate results more often, even informally. Don't take months cooking something up before even communicating or testing it with us, in the loop. All the right people are here, all the right elements are in-house but a good team without roles will somewhat always... suffer from an identity crisis.

McMillan2019-05-15

Discover more reviews about McMillan.