1. "Positive workplace with a growing performance culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

No egos Competitive salary and benefits Friendly and supportive working environment Not hierarchical Focused on positive growth and performance Respectful Fun Locally owned and operated No micro-management styles

Cons

Opportunity to improve and formalize some processes for how teams can/should work together. At times teams people can become silo'd and lack clarity roles and expectations for projects. Opportunity to become firmer with regards to performance management to help demonstrate clear and defined expectations.

McMillan Response

May 1, 2019CEO

Thanks for your positive input. We’ll strive to keep it up as we move the needle. I appreciate your comments on structure and process. As part of our growth plan, we’re transitioning to a model that allows for more flexibility, higher creative value, and better client responsiveness. It’s a constant juggle that requires patience and adjustments along the way, but we know we’ll land it. Best, Pierre Paul

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unique, supportive and well-balanced culture"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The agency was founded in 1996. So it is young enough to be fresh, exciting and open to new ideas. But it is established enough to have a solid HR function, well-trained and supportive managers, and an excellent work-life balance. As an agency, the clients' needs can often tip that balance during busy times but the agency is very accommodating to balance things out appropriately. It is a very fun, laid-back yet professional environment. And with clients across the US and Europe, there are opportunities for more global exposure--and from time to time, travel.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are actually consistent with any creative agency of that size (80 people, +/-). Internal communication can be challenging and the inherent 'tension' that can exist between clients and creative pops up now and again.

Continue reading
  2. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Contractor - Account Coordinator in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan for less than a year

Pros

As someone who just finished school, McM has been a great place for me to start off my career. I learn so much from my co-workers everyday… these guys are so talented and aspiring. The support and mentorship has been amazing. I never feel as though I can’t ask a question and they’re always there to help me out when needed. They continue to challenge me with assigning me to new tasks that is unfamiliar ground, but check in on me along the way and offer all the support! Awesome company culture. With Covid 19, I was only in the office a few days before we started working from home, but the office atmosphere is so fun. They definitely work hard, but are not afraid to let loose once and awhile. Constantly tossing joking with one another, dogs are always welcome to visit, beer cart comes out on Fridays and snacks for all! Even with Covid, McM set up a Friday social hour and we recently have been meeting in the park for lunches A lot of their clients are international which is not something you get to experience so often in Ottawa and definitely makes a work a little more fun and interesting. The new office is beautiful. Right in the heart of downtown Ottawa. Brand new, lots of windows and plants, close enough proximity to everyone in the office so you can collaborate easily and feel like a close knit group. Did I mention dogs are welcome in the office?

Cons

Not enough dogs not that we're working from home

Discover more reviews about McMillan.