McMillan - Great culture and people! | Glassdoor.ca
  1. "Great culture and people!"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no gossiping - the culture is very positive. Work culture is non-toxic - it's refreshing! Executives are approachable, friendly, real people. They have earned people's respect. All the employees are talented, inquisitive, and hard-working - we frequently share inspiration with each other. Projects have well put-together teams - there is a sense of collaboration, and feedback is encouraged which... makes working with people really easy. There is a lot of participation in terms of social activities (of which there are a lot!) and the social committee works hard to make sure the events are unique and exciting. There is free fruit in the kitchens daily and candy in all the meeting rooms - and people bring in their dogs frequently!

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, and benefits package could be greatly improved: there are only 2 weeks of vacation to start and no group RRSP matching plan that is common in other workplaces. There is a lack of an established process for some things which can be hectic at times. They are aware and this is being worked on. Employee reviews are frequently held late. HR has set up the software to require an... explanation for any time off booked (including personal appointments and vacations), which can be sensitive in terms of privacy. The company can do more in terms of establishing itself as a thought leader and involving itself in the community. Use social media more frequently!

Advice to Management

HR policies should be reviewed to ensure that they make sense and are competitive. Other than that - keep it up!

McMillan2018-11-01

McMillan Response

January 15, 2019HR Coordinator

Hey there, thanks for your feedback. It sounds like overall, you’re happy at McMillan. And that makes us… well, happy! In the spirit of maintaining all this happiness, we’d like to address some of your concerns. In terms of salaries, benefits and time-off: it’s important to us that we’re a competitive creative agency, so we did a salary study last year. The results showed that employee wages exceed the national average for our industry. As you know, we also offer ample opportunity to work from home, unlimited personal appointment time, fun monthly events hosted by the company, end-of-year profit-sharing, and other great benefits. Still, there’s always room to do better, so we’ll take all of your feedback into consideration and are always open to hearing more. Thanks for you feedback.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Onwards and upwards!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constant personal and professional growth, new challenges every day, and upward momentum. Very talented and passionate coworkers and supportive, transparent leadership. New CEO showing excellent business acumen in navigating the ups and downs of our highly volatile industry with a great sense of integrity and foresight.

Cons

Because the nature of our industry is very fast-paced, sometimes it gets very overwhelming and requires some serious time management and organizational skills to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Possibly leverage and use the skills of middle management more often to sharpen business skills and create more fluidity and autonomy throughout the organizational hierarchy. Hire more talents from out of town who have more competitive industry experience and are hungry to compete with global talents. We need more people with a certain level of maturity and perspective that comes with “big cities” background and... experience.

McMillan2019-04-17

McMillan Response

May 1, 2019CEO

Thanks for your input. I genuinely appreciate your advice about leveraging the skills of our management team. We have a talented cast across the board with the potential to grow at all levels. I also believe that we’ll grow with the right mix of local and international talent. Our focus is on gathering and leveraging different perspectives to create unique and distinctive work that’ll help us move brands that matter. Best, Pierre Paul

"Identity crisis?"

I have been working at McMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented people, accessible execs, wide range of experts from who you can learn from, great office spaces and openness to new ideas, fun no-drama colleagues, events outside of work.

Cons

We position ourselves as a brand experience agency, but we often accept work/projects that are disconnected from our strengths. It takes a lot of time to even know where we are going in terms of projects or processes. People are strong-willed, committed to great work but disorganized to make it happen. Nobody really knows who owns what, roles are unclear so too much time is taken before we do what we do best.

Advice to Management

Clarify roles. Simplify processes. Reduce the number of communication channels with clients but make them better. Roadtest all this more quickly and communicate results more often, even informally. Don't take months cooking something up before even communicating or testing it with us, in the loop. All the right people are here, all the right elements are in-house but a good team without roles will somewhat always... suffer from an identity crisis.

McMillan2019-05-15

Discover more reviews about McMillan.