McMillan - A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A place that invests in making mid-management into emotionally-intelligent leaders"

Current Employee - Art Director
Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Provides intensive leader training and small-group workshops for mid-management
- Offers plenty of outlets for creative thinking if you are proactive
- Is attentive and very responsive if you are get "burn out"
- Brilliant, stylish, and fun teams to work with
- Senior executives have a open door policy, and frequently seem to have mid-management drop by for informal advice and boosts.
- Industry standard salary, but with good benefit package (and you get your birthday and a volunteer day off)
- Offers annual personal improvement for conferences or training

Cons

- Some people are usually or always busy, while others seem to have quite a lot of free time
- Interesting and highly-creative projects are often treated as extra-curricular, and little or no time is allotted on your schedule for them.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Surprisingly edgy agency in such a sleepy city"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is inviting, friendly and family-like. No-one has an ego or bad attitude. New hires seem to be vetted at the door for cultural mesh.

Cons

Some teams need to work MUCH harder than others (due to client demands or resource shortages, or both), which for sure is draining. Its ok once in a while, but if it becomes the new norm it will take its toll and may be contributing to departures.

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful incentives and internal team empowerment you're doing. I'm extremely grateful to be part of the McMillan family.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McMillan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've loved working at McMillan. The people are great - hardworking, fun and caring. I have always felt supported by the management team. My direct manager has my back and has coached me through many situations. She's always available to listen and offer advice. We do work overtime every now and then, but McMillan definitely strives for a good work-life balance. I know that if someone raises the flag that they're overwhelmed, support will be provided and people will work together to find a solution. We work hard but are compensated in many ways - end of year bonuses, offsite trips, free drink cart/lunches, fun events. The office is closed between Christmas/New Years and on holidays. McMillan also invests in their employees' growth through counselling and conferences.

Cons

Some of the managers do not follow process. It's difficult to keep things moving along while some of the key decision makers in the campaign process are doing their own thing. Also, of the Creative Directors can be very difficult to get ahold of for direction or answers.

Advice to Management

Enforcing process among managers and creative directors. This will also cut back on people working additional overtime, as the account team/studio team can work to balance workload.

Discover more reviews about McMillan.