LoveToKnow - Cushy Writing Job, But No Autonomy | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Cushy Writing Job, But No Autonomy"

Former Freelancer - Writer
Former Freelancer - Writer

I worked at LoveToKnow (Less than a year)

Pros

I love LoveToKnow's emphasis on well-researched, expert articles with authoritative, reliable sources

Pay is not bad. They seem to appreciate their writers enough.

You get to choose which articles you'd like to write from a list, and when you pitch an approved article, they pay you an extra $15 on top of the base pay per article.

Feedback from the editor is usually helpful

Cons

A lot of micromanagement. It feels like the editor is breathing down your neck at times.

Each article that you choose from a list comes with a set of instructions that are many times unclear and vague, so when you write up the article, you're required to make several revisions.

Editors usually edit for clean copy, grammar, and overall readability, but at LTK, it seems as if they will ask you to re-write the article if they feel it's not "funny" enough or the direction you took with the topic doesn't fit their personal tastes - even though you followed instructions to the T.

You do not get paid a dime for revisions.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your writers. By doing this, you will stifle their creativity, and also promote creative fear. I'll bet they have trouble with retention due to this reason.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Great company!"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at LoveToKnow (More than 3 years)

Pros

My overall experience with LoveToKnow has been very positive. They make me feel part of their team, even as a freelancer. They have a supportive and accessible editorial staff. Their editorial process is flexible yet efficient.

Cons

The only con is the pay rate for writers is on the lower side for the amount of work, research, and expertise expected. This forces me to take on less assignments with them compared to higher-paying clients and makes me more selective about the assignments I take. Having said that, I continue to write for LoveToKnow because I enjoy the types of articles available in my niche and their editorial staff is one of the best I've worked with.

2. "Best employer overall"

Current Employee - Production Designer in Redmond, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Production Designer in Redmond, OR (US)

I have been working at LoveToKnow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Flexible work schedule
    2. Great pay
    3. Paid on time always
    4. Terrific management team
    5. Terrific engineering team
    6. Best editorial team
    7. Most outstanding writers
    8. Outstanding CEO
    9. All team members professional, engaged and highly interested in their work

I've worked at LoveToKnow for the last 9 1/2 years. The management team is the best around. The whole LoveToKnow team including the CEO have great attitudes, are dedicated, are flexible, dive right in to help solve problems, are accessible, very talented and more. I've enjoyed working with LoveToKnow more than any other employer I've had.

Cons

Absolutely no cons. This is a dream company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Discover more reviews about LoveToKnow.