Liberty Mutual Insurance - Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT | Glassdoor.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liberty is a huge company with a huge IT organization. If you get your foot in the door and you do well, you can be guaranteed that you'll be able to move around and try different things you're interested in. Also, the majority of the workers in IT are *very* nice. I worked in Portsmouth, NH and Dover, NH and the majority of those I interacted with daily were great people, I ended up making lots of good friends there. The compensation is also good and you get a lot of time off.

Cons

I worked in IT, and you can tell that the business does not appreciate or understand the value that IT provides to their business. I believe that this is in part caused by the fact that middle management in IT (not necessarily executive management) hides the truth about IT operations in order to save face.

Another consequence of middle management doing this is that if an IT project is going badly, instead of explaining why things are going wrong and asking for help, they instead expect IT employees to make up for this by working overtime to make up for it. I especially saw this with system administrators - they have no say in how IT projects are run yet are simply expected to be on at all hours of the night to make changes so they don't impact systems during business hours. On top of this, there is no recognition when these employees have to do off hours work with no notice, in addition to their normal business hours work.

Also, the health insurance could be better, it's a bit expensive for what you get.

Even though this cons section was long, it's really a good place to work!

Advice to Management

Try to create a culture where honesty is rewarded instead of punished. Reward your employees if they have to do off hours IT work. Better yet, if 24x7 support is needed, create more shifts. Even better yet, invest effort into solidifying IT processes so that the fear of doing changes during business hours isn't there anymore.

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Leader in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of jobs of all types across the globe. Many opportunities to move around and up.

Cons

Undergoing major reorganization and downsizing (end 2012 and start 2013) which provides opportunity for some, job loss for others.

Advice to Management

Employees feel management has fumbled the reor, that no job is safe and that work-life balance is a thing of the past.

2. "Great exposure, good company culture, maybe a little tedious at times"

Former Intern - Summer Intern
    Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for professional development (workshops, webinars, etc.), genuine concern from manager.

Cons

Work could get repetitive after a while, not sure if there are a lot of opportunities for advancement