"Kraken has completely completely changed by view on employee/employer relationships"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Support

I have been working at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

At first playing around with cryptocurrency was my hobby, then it became my passion, but when I started at Kraken it also became a career and an all encompassing lifestyle. The entire company is fabricated around the crypto ethos. When I started at Kraken it was extremely obvious that this company was different than anywhere else I had ever worked. First off, I work from home. That might not mean much to everyone out there, but it means the world to me. I’m watching my child grow up first hand. I can take a 10 minute break to read some books with them and it’s just absolutely life changing. Secondly, it’s so casual! Not in an “unprofessional” way, but in a way where no one is talking down to anyone else and it's super easy to send anyone a message and introduce yourself (then immediately ask for help of course =D). Third of all, I’ve noticed that the entire team wants to hear people thinking critically. Management wants you to call something out if there’s a better way to do it. It’s a startup! All of the answers haven’t been found yet because a lot of the questions haven’t even been asked! With a team of almost 800 worldwide agents, someone out there has something to contribute on every subject. Lastly the team. If you’re online there’s someone else online. Any day of the week, any time of day. That’s what a truly worldwide team looks like. It’s strange at first to wake up and feel like you’ve missed a 12 hour work day, but you get used to it. Crypto never sleeps. Neither does the Kraken. The team here is extremely diverse, with so many different backgrounds, experiences, countries of origin, languages etc. It’s truly amazing to work for Kraken. I bleed purple.

Cons

It can be hard to manage your own work-life balance. Usually the brick and mortar building you work in takes care of that when the lights are shut off and the door is locked. You need to be able to turn it off yourself when working remotely. Not everything is documented because the company is so new. Learning is mostly done via word of mouth or reading, so it can be hard for a visual learner (although that's already being fixed). Things get done a little slowly sometimes. The understanding is that it's because the backend has so many security precautions but in an ideal world something would be recommended, done up and implemented in a few weeks. Instead it can take weeks or months.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "TOP"

5.0

I have been working at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time

Pros

great job, really worth it!

Cons

no cons for now. will sync in the future

"Chaotic neutral"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fully remote company. Lots of nice people. Lots of individual responsibility. Good intentions.

Cons

Company grew fast, tried to steer into a more consolidated "big tech" company. Hired a ton of C-level executives that didn't pan out. Pivoted like crazy. I saw 3 or 4 HR leaders getting kicked over two years. Crazy recruiting manager also got kicked. Chief Marketing Officer lasted one year, didn't deliver anything meaningful, got kicked. Saw big firing waves. Support, HR, Recruiting. These growing pains make your really paranoid of working at Kraken, you keep wondering if you're gonna be the next one. The company structure is too stiff and you can't find another department easily if you think you're not at the place you'll produce the most meaningful work. Your boss will fire you because your performance will make him look bad. Chief Branding Officer loves micromanaging, god know why. You barely know what the CEO/Founder (Jesse) has on his mind, as you can see him answering or questioning day to day stuff, but you only see things when they effectively have happened and he announces it. It doesn't really feel too humane.

Continue reading

Kraken Digital Asset Exchange Response

May 12, 2020People Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While we are proud of our exponential growth, we also recognize that the growing pains associated have been felt on many levels. It is our ultimate goal to provide a safe and supportive environment for our employees to flourish with us. With dynamic, ever improving HR and Management strategies in place, we are confident that we are on-course to achieving it. We remain motivated in continuing to address the inevitable turbulence associated with rapid growth. Sending our best wishes.

Discover more reviews about Kraken Digital Asset Exchange.