Employee Review

Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Great exposure

Jul 27, 2015 - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of travel with the reporting services. Access to international negotiations on environment and development.

Cons

Very short term contracts.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

International Institute for Sustainable Development Response

Director of Communications

Thanks for your feedback - so glad you're enjoying the exposure the job provides. We're brainstorming ways to address your concerns on consultancy. Our consultants enjoy flexibility, independence and tremendous opportunities. At the same time, people who accept consultant work agree they're not permanent staff with some of the related benefits (like a dedicated HR person). We're building some clear, robust communications material that will accompany future contracts, laying out the options consultants have when they find themselves in different situations. We hope they'll be a great resource in the future.

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 5 years

Punches above its weight

Oct 15, 2017 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a truly non-ideological organization that promotes research and informed policy making about sustainable development. You will work with great, intelligent, concerned people.

Cons

Salaries are quite modest, so you will be tempted to leave.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

IISD

Dec 18, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible academics, friendly colleagues, and making a real difference in the world of international affairs and sustainable development.

Cons

Not much interaction between the different offices, and there is sometimes tension between them.

3 people found this review helpful

International Institute for Sustainable Development Response

Director of Communications

Thanks for your feedback. So glad you're having a five-star experience :) We agree about the incredible team who work here and the impact they have in the world. We also agree we wrestle with silos. It's a natural result of having offices spread across the planet with people focused on ambitious objectives in very different fields. We've recently added to our comms team to improve internal communications. Weekly emails and a more robust intranet are helping celebrate the work across our organization. The leadership team is also raising awareness of the different programs's grant proposals, so more of our teams collaborate across offices and time zones. And breaking down silos is -very much- on the leadership team's minds.

Discover more reviews about International Institute for Sustainable Development.