InVision - There are better places to be an engineer, avoid InVision | Glassdoor.ca

"There are better places to be an engineer, avoid InVision"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I worked at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fully distributed and remote culture Free coffee Nice laptops Some really good people

Cons

The culture is toxic. Upper management has no idea how they are going to do all the things coming down. Constantly being berated for the mistakes of the upper management. Teams would constantly be at odds with each other. Communication is terrible. My priorities were changing weekly (no joke!) because someone decides that x is more important and needs to be done now and is communicating to the relevant stakeholders... at the last possible minute. Career mobility is stagnant. I kept asking what was my promotion plan and nobody gave me a straight answer. I feel like my career regressed here. What's worse is that all the people who were senior to me were hired during the time I was at InVision and almost nobody was promoted. Micromanaged to the nth degree. I was given technical designs to implement with obvious flaws in them and when I would try to propose a better solution I was constantly shut down. The pay is below market rate, but the emphasis is on hiring top engineers so we seldom got great engineers. If they were great, they were working in a remote area where the pay was higher than the local market, but for most major metros the pay was not close to market rate. The work itself was not challenging. At one point it was, but toward the end it was mostly fighting with other teams in the organization and less actual technical achievement. Half the time engineers were told that they would have a staff or principal engineer be assigned to the project to get it back on track and they would perform just as good as anyone else would in that position. InVision prides itself on being a design company, but doesn't care about the engineering behind it and thus it is always neglected.

Advice to Management

Figure out long term plans for once. Slow down. Fix the management culture. Figure out how to grow your people.

InVision2018-12-23
  1. "Amazing Company - And Only Going To Get Better"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at InVision full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Although I worked in Finance, my job was to build relationships and work closely with leaders across the organization - including Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Product and Design - right up to the COO and (occasionally) the CEO. There has been a lot of change in the past 6 months - and really in the entire 2.5 years I was there - which is fairly common for a company growing so fast (it tripled in size during my... tenure). This can create some growing pains but I honestly believe the leadership and team they have in place now - particularly in the departments named above, that I was closest to - are the strongest I saw in all my time at the company. The future is extremely bright for InVision and I look forward to now supporting them as a shareholder. As for the Finance team itself, it's one of the strongest I've ever worked with - largely due to the leadership of the VP of Finance building an amazing team, almost from scratch.

Cons

Although I personally see it as a pro - since I loved it - the learning curve for getting used to a fully remote organization can be tricky. Managing an even bigger team at scale - as the company continues to grow - is going to put more pressure on this model but I have a feeling they are going to make it work.

Advice to Management

Look after your Finance team, they're the best!

InVision2019-06-20

"Completely Remote - Completely Connected!"

I have been working at InVision full-time

Pros

Day to day: InVision has been the most unique work culture I’ve ever had the pleasure of working in. I’ve worked remotely throughout my career, but never like this. The entire company’s workforce is distributed, and it’s different. You’re not missing out on talks at the watercooler, you don’t have to book a meeting room! We all work from our homes. We all understand the benefits and the necessity in being... proactive in our communications with one another; we feel more… connected. From the moment I had my first interview, to on-boarding, to my first day, to today I continue to be impressed by the attention to detail and design centricity that has cultivated a level of engagement, productivity and community I wouldn’t have thought possible in a 100% distributed workforce. Personal Growth and Opportunity: This is a company that really cares about the development and well-being of its employees. From personal growth to professional career growth and opportunity, the option is always there to expand one’s horizons. In the time I’ve been here, I’ve seen promotions, and lateral moves, as well as significant career shifts. Global Perks: I love that InVision’s perks are offered to employees globally and we can all benefit from the same sweeteners that enrich our day to day. The “people team” comes up with great ideas to benefit employees and their health and wellbeing. Communication: From all levels of the company, open communication is a very regular occurrence. At our all hands meetings the content is candid and genuine. I love that Clark and David talk about ‘snacks’ when we’re on the line with one another to kick of the calls, it’s fun. We don’t have an ‘office’ to eat together, why not share what we like to eat from the comfort of our own homes? It’s light-hearted and informative at the same time! Leaders: Leadership cares. Boom! I said it. I have not met one leader at the company that I wouldn’t feel completely comfortable reaching out to. The door is always open. I’m proud to call myself an InVisioner and look forward to being with the company for years to come. Best company ever!

Cons

I guess remote culture will not be for everyone but InVision does it better than anyone I've ever seen.

InVision2019-04-15

Discover more reviews about InVision.