Employee Review

Former Employee, less than 1 year

do NOT work here.

Aug 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- discount - great co-workers - get to meet cool customers

Cons

SHADY OWNERS. They not only blamed COVID for their atrocious mismanagement of the companies finances, but they finessed their way out of paying employees who were let go during COVID severance, and paying multiple companies they owed money to. This information is available to the public. They have zero sympathy for royally screwing over other people. I've contacted them multiple times about my severance and they've given me every run around possible, rudeness, and brushed me off. To further back up my point, they also didn't make a single mention of the BLM movement, and one of the higher ups visited the location I worked at and was rude to a homeless person who was minding his own business out front of our shop. They hide comfortably behind the love for Canadian owned businesses, but I recommend you do your own research on this company. From a former employee, DO NOT WORK HERE. The staff in store are lovely people, but the head office/owners are shady capitalists who only care about money and not about photography in the slightest.

7 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Manager

Oct 27, 2016 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

GREAT Team to work with. Lower management really cares and tries hard to do the right thing. When we had District Managers it felt like family all around. Then the company terminated both DMs and the VP of sales. The new VP/Sales is as cold as the ice he constantly boasts about playing on each weekend. The biggest pro is that the people in the stores and middle management really care and it shows. The buyers pay attention to trends and the product mix often shows good judgement. Henry's is a good stepping stone into the next employer. If it wasn't for Henry's I wouldn't have found the photo company I'm now with, so doors opened because of my time at Henry's.

Cons

The new CEO isn't at all as people or business-able as the father. Cold, demanding, management by spreadsheet, people simply don't matter. Employees were once venerated as the pride of the company. The company no longer focuses on employees and certainly not customers. It's simply about the margin. There is no training. Period. Products come in and we're expected to learn it on our own. The softwaretools for training are terrible. There once was a terrific way to be rewarded for having good product knowledge. There no longer is. They killed the program that rewarded employees.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Old-fashioned ways

May 7, 2021 - Head Office Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Casual setting - As long as the work is getting done on time you can pretty well do whatever you want

Cons

- Industry lacks stability (both photography and retail in general) - No room for growth - Don't ask for a raise unless you want to be laughed at by HR - They laid off a good chunk of corporate staff so there's no one to back you up if you want to take time off

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Henry's Cameras.