Handy - You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 23 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 21 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA"

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

"Free" lunch and snacks (really just included in salary) are very convenient.

Some smart/fun people in the office.

Company has desire and means to grow really fast so new projects can spin up really quickly.

Cons

I personally was lied to to about my role to get me to accept, and I found out later that this is a regular, well-known practice at Handy--tell them anything to get them to say yes, then switch things up on day 1.

Unbelievable cliqueyness around and insistence to hire Harvard and other Ivy MBAs (despite the fact that both the founders dropped out of HBS). Clear internal hierarchy and preferential treatment for those folks.

CEO is completely unwilling to either cut or educate senior team members who don't know what they're doing, and HR is unwilling or unable to provide effective management training to those people.

Advice to Management

Give up this Harvard obsession. Be willing to either educate or fire those managers who make their team members miserable and unproductive, instead of just "failing up" and promoting/shuffling them to other roles.

14 Nov, 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. While this review is not representative of our culture, the points you bring up are concerning and I will share your words with our management team. It... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Shady"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule is the only pro

Cons

pay, general practice, job support

Advice to Management

I started working on the platform being told the rate was $XX with the possibility of and increase of $XX+$5 per hour with good performance, X amount of jobs, etc. That is fine. After a few months I see that jobs are being offered $2 less per hour than the standard flat intro rate. When I inquire I get a response that the rates in my city could be changing. My rates could be changing to be LESS ? The cost of living in my city has not gone down, if anything it increases every year. The minimum wage in my city increases every year, but handy has decided to pay less! I am also aware that they take a cut of as much as 50%. I know they have other less than desirable practices.

7 Nov, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We care about doing research about the market to ensure we're paying pros fairly and as much as possible. While we do our best to pay pros as much as possible we also have... More

2. "Bad company to contract for"

Current Contractor - Hand Pro in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Hand Pro in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The challenges that come with assembling new and interesting items, meeting new people and the tips.

Cons

They continuously come up with ways to cheat you out of your money and when you complain (through email only because there is no phone number to call) they just stop talking to you.

Advice to Management

Pay people what you owe them, DO NOT cheat people out of money that they’ve worked for. Field representatives are the skilled, hard working, problem solving face of your business and you need to treat them as such.

Train your customer service personnel better so they can take care of the field personnel better or make a customer service division dedicated to just working field personnel to streamline the experience and take care of the pros. It would be great if there was a hotline to call.

Make customer information accessible earlier so that Pros can work with customers to better suit their needs and schedules and to get more information on the job so they can prepare better for the upcoming job.

Make Pros information available to other pros when jobs are booked for multiple pros so they can coordinate details regarding the job.

Have the app upgraded with a tab or link to make it easier for customers to quickly and easily request time for pros.

Create a network for Pros to communicate with each other so they can choose other pros to team up with on jobs that require two or more people.

7 Nov, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for all your hard work on the app. We offer email support because this is how we can efficiently help the tens and thousands of pros and customers using the app. We never ignore emails, if... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.