Handy - You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 22 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA"

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

"Free" lunch and snacks (really just included in salary) are very convenient.

Some smart/fun people in the office.

Company has desire and means to grow really fast so new projects can spin up really quickly.

Cons

I personally was lied to to about my role to get me to accept, and I found out later that this is a regular, well-known practice at Handy--tell them anything to get them to say yes, then switch things up on day 1.

Unbelievable cliqueyness around and insistence to hire Harvard and other Ivy MBAs (despite the fact that both the founders dropped out of HBS). Clear internal hierarchy and preferential treatment for those folks.

CEO is completely unwilling to either cut or educate senior team members who don't know what they're doing, and HR is unwilling or unable to provide effective management training to those people.

Advice to Management

Give up this Harvard obsession. Be willing to either educate or fire those managers who make their team members miserable and unproductive, instead of just "failing up" and promoting/shuffling them to other roles.

14 Nov, 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. While this review is not representative of our culture, the points you bring up are concerning and I will share your words with our management team. It... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Why You Shouldn't Work For Handy"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You get to pick when you want to work and what region within your city.
    You get to meet new people.
    Most times you get tips.
    Sharpen your current skills and impress your clients.

Cons

Too many cancellations.
    Because of the cancellations, it's nearly impossible to earn higher pay tiers.
    Some clients have really dirty homes and expect miracles within the time frame given.
    No incentives-you buy your own supplies, pay for your own transportation, work numerous jobs, get multiple 5-star ratings and Handy gives you nothing.
    The rate at which the clients pay and the rate that the cleaners get is absolute robbery. Imagine you're working for 4 hours for $60 but Handy charges the client $130 for the job.
    Customer service gets more perks than the contractors. They get free food and booze with a third of the energy used that the cleaners and handymen put forth, not fair at all.
    I would not recommend for anyone to work for Handy. It is not worth it. You lose more than you gain.
    I only gave them 1 star because you can't rate them any lower but if I could, I would.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives to your contractors and stop spoiling customer service when it is the cleaners and the handy men that break a sweat here. We don't get free food or alcohol, not even a free shirt or apron. We buy our own supplies and pay for transportation. Handy takes too many fees from contractors. It is practically impossible to make a living wage from Handy even though some of us actually like what we do. If a pro reaches a certain pay tier, that pay tier should be locked in and not set to change because it was earned. Cleaning is a tedious job and deserves more than the $15 an hour you offer, especially if we're buying our own supplies and paying for transportation. You should offer bonuses for working a set number of jobs and for obtaining a set number of 5-star ratings and it shouldn't be based on a weekly or monthly basis either. You know that Handy has way too many cancellations to keep ratings based on time. It's not fair to the pro and you know it. You should be ashamed of how you do business and need to improve your business model, period.

18 Dec, 2018 – Customer Experience Manager

Hello and thanks for sharing your feedback with us as an active professional on the Handy platform! We're always working to improve the platform for all professionals and we'll be sure to pass along... More

"Disgusting!!!!!!!"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    The only pro I have

Cons

No jobs
    Awful customer service
    Can’t reach anyone
    Takes hours, sometimes 24 hours to get a response
    Pay doesn’t match the jobs
    Customers lie to receive free or discounted cleanings and you’re charged without an investigation of any sort
    Customers book the bare minimum and refuse to extend hours so you end up working over and not getting paid because if you don’t stay you’ll receive an awful review.
    Customers hate this service and take it out on the cleaners
    Handy doesn’t take any comment into consideration
    Reps don’t properly answer questions that you’ve waited hours for a response for. They’re incompetent! They say enough to get you not to respond.
    Rules constantly change
    Customers are allowed to cancel appointments and you’re not paid unless it’s 12 hours and under meanwhile workers are charged for cancellations up to 48 hours.
    No one knows where the cancellation fees go and you have to work to cover these fees and pay taxes on that money although you didn’t receive it
    Liars and thieves is what Handy is!!

Advice to Management

Hire enough reps so we don’t have to wait for responses, by the time you guys respond the jobs are over and whatever problem remains unsolved

14 Dec, 2018 – Customer Experience Manager

Thank you for your hard work on the Handy platform (over a year!) and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. We have a professional support team available to assist... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.