Handy - Not the worst boss I've had, but close. | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Worst company ever they will rob you and fire you"

Former Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Former Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to make private clients, work when you have time

Cons

They will over charge you for canceling a booking and there is a absolutely nothing you can do about it. If you try to email them about it they won’t fix the problem or admit it. As a cleaner, the money you make is literally your blood and sweat so when someone else claims it and snatches it like a thug it can hurt so much and make you feel very angry and disappointed altogether. This company has robbed me of 200.00 dollars if I add up all the times I was wrongfully charged and overcharged. They fired me when I asked for my money back. I will never forget this experience my whole life because I cleaned 6 people’s apartments at my expense. I usually never give ratings but I had to warn everyone out there. if your considering working with handy, please be cautious.

Advice to Management

I am extremely regretful that I worked for a company that are robbers in disguise. Please stop stealing money from us. We work hard for our money and you should be ashamed of yourselves for stealing from hard working cleaners. I hope you guys can find it in your hearts to change .STOP stealing our hard earned income.

Handy Response

4 Jan, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

You can follow up with our team over an email to team@handy.com. We'd be happy to review your deposit information. There are fees for a professional if they do not show to a job on their schedule... More

"They are not lying handys the worse"

Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Puyallup, WA (US)
    Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Puyallup, WA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You can set your sechefule

Cons

But my jobs canceled allot.. N they arent charge for it. But handy doesnt allow the hoysekeeper to doso eitj out cgarging them allot of money no matter why they need to cancel. They also never call you there customer service suck they dont help with any problems and they let the costomer lie about the job we did or let some rate you whom handy charge them a no show fee. They shldnt allowsomeone to rate you after they wasnt even home for the apointment. My apountments kept disappearing offmy svheduleall the time with no explaination at all.

Advice to Management

Get it right or let it go

Handy Response

4 Jan, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We're sorry about the experience you had on the Handy platform. You were a professional in one of the new cities we operate in, due to this, there will be competition for jobs in your area. We're... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.