Handy - Not the worst boss I've had, but close. | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 22 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Don't waste your time"

Current Freelancer - NONE in Henrico, VA (US)
    Current Freelancer - NONE in Henrico, VA (US)

Pros

None whatsoever. Impossible to get jobs

Cons

Fierce competition, jobs gone within minutes.
    Low pay for jobs
    Policy states you have to stay min of 3 hours, even if job only takes ten minutes!

Handy Response

12 Jan, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

You're working in one of the new cities that we started operating in so there will be competition with other professionals on the platform for jobs. We're so glad you're interested and we're working... More

2. "Cleaner"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

You work your own hours

Cons

Terrible pay and not enough work

Handy Response

10 Jan, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. If you applied to be a professional in one of the new cities that we operate in, it will be competitive for jobs. We're aware the professionals want more work which makes us... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.