Handy - Not the worst boss I've had, but close. | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 23 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "The best of housekeeping"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule

Cons

Sometimes the clients have big Dogs but overall its great

2. "handyman"

Current Contractor - Handyman in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Handyman in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a way to make supplemental income, nothing you can live off of could be better.

Cons

They won't talk to you, no support system, only scripts via email. Unfair to the workers, dishonest customers scam their system and sometimes try and use you like a slave adding items to the invoice without paying extra. Hard to make money Handy takes 40% of your pay. They hide the customer reviews so you wont know who lied or gave you a bad review to get their money back . They hold your money for no reason and won't let you cash out making up excuses. .

Advice to Management

Don't be so shady with the handymen and don't be so greedy and take so much of a percentage, 20% is fair anything more than that is not fair.

Handy Response

14 Dec, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We primarily offer support over email, if you notify us to any situations you have while on the job we will do our best to help you. We keep reviews anonymous but provide all positive and negative... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.