Handy - A Fun Challenge | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 23 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A Fun Challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work in a fun environment. Plenty of autonomy and freedom to work in the manner you want, provided you get your work done and focus on targets. It's a goal driven company with little to no bureaucracy. The liberal vacation policy and free lunch/dinners don't hurt either.

Cons

Less formal structures for onboarding, so a lot of initiative and persistence is required to get comfortable. Typical hours start a little later than 9 & end after 6, so early risers/finishers might have a hard transition.

Advice to Management

An assigned mentor for new hires might be helpful - someone who the new hire could reach out to at any point to ask questions, or steer the new hire to the best resource.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"They breached me from their app."

Current Freelancer - Housekeeper in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Freelancer - Housekeeper in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Handy (More than a year)

Pros

It allows you to find many jobs; and get paid a fair amount. Reasonable time frames.

Cons

Lack of communication. No way to get in touch with customer service.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication. I cleaned someone's apartment recently; the woman said that she had tenants who ruined her apartment and it was horrible inside. There was pet/feces on the floor and tons of clothes. I cleaned the apartment and bagged up all of the clothes to throw away. I couple days later I got a call from Handy saying that the lady reported me for stealing designer handbags. I'm a woman but handbags aren't my thing and all I did was carry the clothes out in trash bags to take to the dumpster. Handy kicked me out of the app indefinitely; and I couldn't get paid and now can't make any money. You have to do better with communication. I've never had bad reviews so my side of the story is just as important as the customers.

"HORRIBLE COMPANY TO WORK AT!!"

Current Contractor - Housekeeping Pro in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Housekeeping Pro in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, and SOME of the customers are nice. Besides that nothing else is a "Pro".

Cons

EVERYTHING!! HORRIBLE company! They charge us housekeepers OUTRAGEOUS fees and penalties for NO reason, WITHHOLDING our pay for NO reason, no support for employees and only way we can get in contact with anyone is email only in which we rarely get a response! When we do get a response it's literally copied and pasted into the email from the troubleshooting site, in which does NOT help at all! We are REQUIRED to provide our own cleaning equipment and supplies but NEVER received any reimbursement for what we paid even though we are PROMISED to receive reimbursement!!

A few times I was injured on the job, in which was NO fault of mine, and when I left the job to go to the EMERGENCY ROOM I was charged a fee for it, which was more than I would have received for the cleaning!! Customers lie about their locations and the tasks that they want done in order to pay less, then after we complete the job they lie and say either we never showed up or didn't do what we were supposed to and Handy would NOT pay me for the work that I actually did! Even though after this happening a few times, I started taking before and after pictures and would send them to Handy, they would still withhold my payment!

Advice to Management

Get all new workers and GIVE ME MY MONEY OWED TO ME!! How can you treat people like this!?! HORRIBLE COMPANY AND EVEN WORSE PEOPLE!! STOP having people write fake reviews!!

Handy Response

2 Nov, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Certain fees apply if a professional doesn't show up to a job, arrives late to a job, or leaves early from a job. Pros can always follow up with us to learn why a fee was received or to dispute fees... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.