Handy - A Fun Challenge | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A Fun Challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work in a fun environment. Plenty of autonomy and freedom to work in the manner you want, provided you get your work done and focus on targets. It's a goal driven company with little to no bureaucracy. The liberal vacation policy and free lunch/dinners don't hurt either.

Cons

Less formal structures for onboarding, so a lot of initiative and persistence is required to get comfortable. Typical hours start a little later than 9 & end after 6, so early risers/finishers might have a hard transition.

Advice to Management

An assigned mentor for new hires might be helpful - someone who the new hire could reach out to at any point to ask questions, or steer the new hire to the best resource.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"50/50 split"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Handy (More than a year)

Pros

Independent contractor with ability to make own schedule

Cons

Limited technology being used. Needed 2 phones to do anything. No local office or no extended hours for west coast support

Handy Response

21 Sep, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We offer 24/7 support via email and we strive to respond to urgent emails as quickly as possible. There shouldn't be a reason that a Professional would need 2 phones. Downloading the app to one iOS... More

"Downward Spiral"

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I liked that it gave me flexibility.

Cons

I haven't worked for Handy for several months, but I feel compelled to write this review to counter what I can only be certain are the many fake reviews on this site that seem to have been written by Handy itself. When I first began working with Handy, I was happy with the job and the flexibility it gave me. But not long after, I found that I was getting more cancellations than I was getting jobs. I don't blame the customers, but Handy which it seems tricked the customers into signing up for recurring cleanings they didn't want and then be unable to cancel them. The rating system is also terrible. All the ratings are totally anonymous, so if I got a negative rating, I would never have any idea of who gave it to me and often it would come right after a job where the customer tipped me generously. This led me to believe that Handy was manipulating the ratings, since it's all anonymous anyways, in an attempt to bring me to a lower pay scale. None of it sat right with me. When I contacted Handy to inquire about this and why all the ratings were anonymous, I received canned email after canned email. Not once did I feel like I mattered to Handy, or that my concerns were being listened to. In fact, I almost doubted I was talking to a human at all, that's how canned and unrelated the responses were. I felt used and dispensable and worthless as a cleaner for them. I left and picked up work with TaskRabbit who I'm much happier with.

Advice to Management

Learn from TaskRabbit and how they operate and treat their employees and clients. They're not a perfect company, but they have their act together while Handy doesn't. And listen to the people who work for you, don't treat them like garbage, and make an effort to actually reply to their issues.

Handy Response

16 Oct, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Most of the reviews on this site are made by contractors, like yourself, none of them are fabricated. We take the feedback we receive off this site very seriously, and appreciate you sharing your... More

Discover more reviews about Handy.