"A Rapidly Declining Culture, Values and Environment"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Career development & growth: I have been working at Glassdoor for 3 years and have been promoted 3 times which is amazing because once you build your internal brand and perform well, chances are that you will get promoted. Like any other organization you need to play your cards well and build the right reputation and relationships to speed up your promotion track, but overall, movements do happen frequently. Great benefits & work life balance: Free catered lunch (amazing), dog friendly office (it helps owners and other employees to feel emotionally supported with so many cute dogs in our teams), 401K match (this took a few years but it's amazing that we have it now), very flexible PTO policy as long as you are performing on your numbers, awesome health/dental policies and an ok working from home policy. Office location: This is tough for people that live in the city or if they don't have a car to drive to the office, but being right on the water in the Marin county has elevated the company culture and it's refreshing to work in this beautiful "suburb" only 4 miles north of SF/Marina neighborhood. Lower Management: I have had 4 different managers here and every single one of them were amazing human beings, very empathetic, always supporting reps, passionate about our career and personal development and overall very hard working people that is extremely hard to find in the bay area especially in Sales.

Cons

Upper management & executive team: Leadership is very removed from the needs and struggles of the lower end of the workforce - with the most recent news of Glassdoor HQ moving to the city, I was expecting a more reasonable announcement to get employees more excited and pumped about moving to SF. But, because they are so disconnected with what we need, it was a very disappointing announcement in our monthly all-hands meeting and actually quiet insulting. Yes, we all understand that moving to the city is more beneficial to attract new talent and grow our company. However, just being located in the city doesn't get Glassdoor the "top talent" we are looking for - it certainly makes it easier but if we are not considering a competitive perks & benefits package in addition to our "hot new office in the city" this will only get us the average candidate that can't get hired at other hot companies/startups in the city. This is not the first time that upper management has made announcements without reasonable preparation or understanding of employees needs and concerns. In fact, during the all hands meeting, when we were raising our hands to share our concerns/ask questions, a few leaders were laughing at our comments and making it sound like we were ridiculous for surfacing these concerns which was both insulting and disappointing. Additionally, for a company that always preaches "transparency" and "culture" they didn't consider for once how people will react to these not very well presented announcements and made it very obvious that ultimately the decisions will be made regardless of the impacts they may have on people's lives and there is no room for review, hence why I am very disheartened by leadership and their decision making process. Priorities: If you are an engineer or a technical talent looking for a job at Glassdoor, this is the right time because literally that's all they care about - if you are in Sales or Customer success, think twice because we are not given the right resources or teams to help us success in our roles. Customer Success:

Continue reading

Glassdoor Response

June 14, 2019President & COO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m happy to hear you’ve found Glassdoor to be a place where you can grow and advance your career. And, I appreciate hearing that you believe we have amazing people, I couldn't agree more. However, I'm disappointed to hear that you feel leadership is removed from the workforce. Rest assured the leadership team and I are committed to understanding and hearing the needs of our employees. I take this very seriously. My door is always open and I'm also available anytime via our “Ask the COO” slack channel. I also appreciate your feedback about our recent announcement on our move to San Francisco. We wanted to share this news as soon as possible, while balancing excitement for our new HQ with the fact that we'll also still be staying in Marin too for those employees. On our end, there are still many things to be confirmed, but there is much to be excited about that we'll take into account for the next update. But, I do hear you and what I can promise is that we will relay updates regularly over the next 18 months before we move in. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Christian President &COO

1. "Great while it lasted"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR)

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Very supportive group of people to work with, outstanding culture

Cons

I can’t think of any, if you work hard you will do great

2. COVID-19

"A Tough Day. A Tough Day, Indeed."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned more and achieved more in my time at Glassdoor than I did anywhere else I have worked. Amazingly, one of the worst things about Glassdoor made me a stronger sales professional than I ever thought I could become. I suppose I can address those things in the cons section - so there’s your stay tuned. Selling Glassdoor is one of the hardest sales I have experienced. I genuinely believe that if you can sell Glassdoor, you can sell almost anything. That belief will serve me and my 300 laid off colleagues very well in their search for their next play. I will be forever thankful for the amazing friends I made at this company when it still existed as the Glassdoor we knew. Even though that company absolutely died stone dead on May 7th, it felt like a special place. The people on the floor are what made it special. We carried this place on our backs. Invested years of emotional labor in ourselves, our teammates, and our direct reports. We cared more than anyone should have about a company that sells pictures and videos to people for 1000s of dollars. The number of truly talented and wonderful human beings that I worked with and are now unemployed is staggering. I cannot express just how badly Glassdoor messed up by letting these people go.

Cons

The reason I was able to achieve even one thing at Glassdoor, is because there is no standardized sales process nor a true enablement team. A sales rep has to hope for a leader who knows how to sell, and that rep had better be a curious person who wants to learn and be willing to lean on your peers. Glassdoor is such a difficult sale with prospects usually upset about ratings, calling it a “rant site”, saying people don’t look at jobs on Glassdoor, claiming users just want to see negative reviews. Those preconceived notions were very hard to sell against. Thankfully, with the help of my great colleagues, I was able to develop my own sales process that helped me overperform and begin seeing success. Eventually, mastering that process and building great internal relationships allowed me to get into leadership where I truly got to see the stunning level of incompetence and miscommunication up close. I’ll try and go department by department. I would post a gif of a tumbleweed for sales enablement if that was allowed. We were each other's sales enablement team. Ironically, not having a true sales process - one where someone can ask “What is the Glassdoor sales process?” and get a very quick, short, concise answer - is what forced me to fend for myself and learn to sell. Enablement was really good at delegating what should have been their responsibilities to the reps and managers. They were also great at being able to string together what few sales events we did have because there was very little budget pretty much constantly. Why didn’t Glassdoor commit to building a world class sales enablement team and roll out a standardized sales process for reps and managers to follow? I’ll never know. But they’re still employed so they must be doing something right. The product itself barely changed in four years. Eventually prospects will stop falling for “we have more traffic this year” when they ask what’s changed since the last time we tried to sell them Glassdoor. Once every year, the product team would tell us about very small changes they were planning to roll out at some point within the next five years. I can’t wait to see the color of the button in 2027. I’m not sure where to start with Sales Development. The name of the org is Sales Development. Develop sales reps. Nurture them. Don’t bully them into low paying jobs that are somehow even harder and more work than hunter and growth roles. The SDR org was a total mess that rewarded good SDRs by “promoting” the most promising inbound reps into a tier where high Enterprise reps belittled them, refused to flip their meetings, and blamed them for any shortcomings that they refused to do anything about themselves. The amount of amazing AEs that came through that org did so through their own sheer will and talent, and frankly not knowing their own value - because these reps could have been making 2x the pay at literally any other sales company. Sales ops is rough at almost every company but I cannot fathom a more inept ops team than the one we had at Glassdoor. Their hallmark was consistently building out nonsensical books, bizarre quotas, and never, ever, ever doing any data refreshing. Here’s an idea - consult the actual front line reps before building out plans that 70% of the reps are going to miss. They finally managed to bring in one very awesome person, who we all loved, and I hope she still has a job. I can’t say her name but anyone reading this knows who I’m talking about. Wingman of the Year and well deserved. Senior Leadership, I just wish I could understand what value you bring. It honestly feels extremely silly that all of the conversations about promotion paths, job families, and arguing attainment vs. competence were something that occupied so much of our time and energy - and they just took it away from us with a snap of their fingers. When I say senior leadership, I mean sales senior leadership. And I mean VP level and up. I could not have asked for a better director who cared more about our people - but above the director was miscommunication, non-communication, false promises, and patchwork solutions. You and ops combined to set us up for failure. A fiscal year where less than 30% of reps and managers were able to hit quarters. The rep participation rates quarter over quarter were shameful. Was it the business or the product? It damn sure wasn’t the people - the managers and reps worked tirelessly to try and bring success to an organization that consistently underpaid and undervalued the talent they had. And now we’re all gone. What a shame. The CEO. Where to begin. When I started at Glassdoor we had Robert. And while Robert wasn’t the business person some CEOs are, Robert was a human being. He spoke his mind. He spoke with conviction. He was entertaining. I found myself wanting to work for him. That’s the very least a CEO can be. When he spoke, everyone listened. At sales kickoff, he was a highlight every year. He even came out to get drinks with the sales team despite his insistence that “sales people are the absolute worst.” Robert, cheers man. I hope you’re enjoying time with League of Legends - but when the decision was made to sell to Recruit, it seems like the writing was on the wall. Enter Christian Sutherland-Wong. When he wasn’t talking about his mum in literally every single all hands address, he was hiding. I don’t know where - maybe hanging out with Indeed executives. He showed up to the Chicago office maybe 2 or 3 times total in his entire tenure as CEO of what used to be Glassdoor. He showed zero ability to command an audience, bragged to us about inventing LinkedIn’s corporate culture when he was there, and did not remotely understand what we do on a daily basis. It’s no surprise he was able to make the call to fire all of us so quickly. I remember (maybe 3-4 months ago) when he came to Chicago to speak to our sales team as we trained our reps how to effectively reach out to CEOs at companies in our books. He stumbled his way through a couple sentences of complete gibberish before exiting the room to a bunch of confused faces. He then came back and read off some words that seemed like they were straight off a marketing slide. He was always saying “people need us now more than ever” as he was putting GD on a hiring freeze of its own and eventually, swiftly, and without warning liquidating the jobs of 300 talented, wonderful people. Not more than a month ago, Christian told us that this was the beginning of our journey of becoming the best tool in the world for job seekers. Either he didn’t know that this was coming, while COVID was already in full swing mind you, or he’s just a liar. Either way the lack of transparency at a company that stresses transparency for OTHER companies has forever been shocking. CEOs are supposed to be able to navigate current times and be able to set up a company for the future. Apparently asking Christian to look a few weeks into the future was too tall of a task. He’s had a very eventful run as CEO of what used to be Glassdoor. If his mission was destroying a company in less than a year, then kudos to you my friend. Job well done.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Glassdoor.