Fairmont Hotels & Resorts - Fairmont gulag,favoritism, mass dysfunction, zero support, lots of stress. Started out lovely, ends terrible. Be warned | Glassdoor.ca

"Fairmont gulag,favoritism, mass dysfunction, zero support, lots of stress. Started out lovely, ends terrible. Be warned"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, commissions, good colleagues, free lunches, destination rates, nice properties, fun to meet people from all over the world.

Cons

Management is aloof, incompetent and distant. Very much an us and them culture. HR is confrontational and bumbling. Most "managers" are actually interns still in college who are under contract and run departments with zero work experience. Employees are very disposable, very high turnaround , very high burnout. Your hours are routinely cut due to managers getting a bonus for coming in under budget for work hours . Meaning you lose money. You will be dealing with complaints of angry , rude and insulting "budget" guests CONSTANTLY during your 8 hour shift and held directly accountable to resolve their issues however reasonable or unreasonable. This place is a meat grinder for workers. Internal theft is rampant and you WILL have confrontations with the homeless who frequently wander the property. You also will be asked to complete several different tasks relating to housekeeping, luggage transportation and parking cars regardless of your job title .

Advice to Management

Sell the property to a 3 star company. With the current formula , management has presided over a 50 percent loss in revenue for this year. Those figures are avaliable online. Staff is overworked , disrespected and retaliated against for complaints. Majority of guests are low wage , low information and socially inept, due to the lowering of rates to an average of about 100 dollars. Not a "luxury" brand at all with over 800 rooms, 3 bellman and 2 front desk agents at a time.

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts2017-08-29
  1. "Very well run company"

Current Employee - Owner Services Supervisor in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training processes and support systems far surpass other hospitality chains I have worked for. High standards of service and very professional upper management.

Cons

Now under the umbrella of a much larger company, Accor Hotels. Enormous size can make it difficult to please everybody.

Advice to Management

I can't speak for other properties, but mine could use more oversight to keep middle management on track.

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts2019-11-07
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Conference Services Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, great employees - a lot of room for growth

Cons

I had a bad experience but nothing to do with the company - only the employees specifically in the location where I worked

Advice to Management

None

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts2019-12-20

Discover more reviews about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.