1. "Teaching Teachers"

4.0
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have loved working with the students. EF gives me the opportunity to work with a wide range of ages and abilities. EF also provides wonderful continuing education through in-center and city-wide training, supporting teachers to develop themselves. Many of the 'foreign' teachers (native English speakers living in China or another country with EF schools) have no prior teaching experience, so this gives everyone necessary teaching skills. It is beneficial for the teachers attending and volunteering to lead the training. There are lots of opportunities to take on more roles within the center. At various times I've taken on technology specialist, content creation, in-center trainer, holiday party coordinator, teacher test invigilator, schedule creation, pod manager, and more.

Cons

This is a business and it is focused on making money. It values educating the students, but mainly in terms of making parents happy, with less interest in the students' long term success. As a career teacher, this can be disheartening. Teachers are only expected to stay for a year or two, so it can be hard to keep forming and maintaining relationships with new co-workers. This also means constantly having to train new co-workers and being pushed into management roles before feeling ready.

EF English First Response

July 19, 2019Teacher Welfare Director

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and your experience at EF. We are glad to see you have taken the opportunity to learn different roles at your center and continue your professional growth. We value your feedback to reinforce both where we are excelling and in those areas where we can improve, such as teacher retention. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

"I love this company"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Adult Education Teacher

I have been working at EF English First for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule, good management, freedom to work at own pace

Cons

Pay is on the lower side

Continue reading

EF English First Response

May 15, 2020Vice President

We love to hear that you love EF and we are glad to see that you’ve been with us for so long! We strive to offer quality resources to our teachers by providing consistent support, classes and innovations in the classroom. And while we know we don’t offer the highest pay in the market, we hope that you see the value of getting regular classes, which allows you to earn a stable income. A bonus is that you get to work with motivated students from across the globe while earning. Thank you again for your feedback.

"ok"

4.0
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Japan, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

good location, nice worker and atmosphere

Cons

leverage low salaries, not good promotion

Discover more reviews about EF English First.