Employee Review

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Work Smart, Go Home

Jun 8, 2021 - Senior Developer in Saskatoon, SK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros - Truly People-First Culture - Inspirational Founders - Focussed on Real Problems Coconut collaborates closely with local businesses to solve problems real humans have. The credit union I personally use is a customer of Coconut, and it always brings me immense joy to use the software I helped write in order to easily book an appointment with my advisor, rather than relying on the arduous process of telephone/email tag you have to go through with other businesses. Regarding company culture, it's one thing to talk the talk and say you're 'People-First' and another to walk the walk, especially as a company scales beyond a small startup. That being said, I am continually amazed at how Coconut commits itself to improving the lives of its employees. Coconut takes direct steps towards tackling complex matters such as: mental health, diversity, equality and maintaining a healthy work/life balance (especially throughout COVID). I imagine this is largely due to Coconut's inspiring CEO Katherine and the core values she has instilled throughout the company. Katherine is just as (probably more) ambitious and driven to succeed than her male CEO counterparts I've worked for, while also caring deeply about how that success comes to be. There is no 'winning at all costs' mentality that I've seen a lot of other companies fall into, and I just generally feel like a better person having worked here for the past couple years.

Cons

Cons - Some Anti-Agile Customers - Complex Competitive Market - ??? I'm genuinely struggling to think of cons or negative experiences I had at Coconut, so I'll nit pick a few things. In short, some of Coconut's customers are slow moving dinosaurs (from a technology perspective). That isn't meant to be a criticism necessarily, I understand financial institutions operate in an extremely risk-averse business domain, leading them to be more cautious around new technologies in general. But it can be frustrating to require a 3rd technical onboarding call with the same customer because some 'Associate Vice President of Cybersecurity' wasn't on the previous calls and has a question about Kubernetes that could've easily been an email. These large enterprises also typically use older or custom technologies which comes with its own integration challenges (some good, like containerizing your applications to run in someone else's cluster securely, some bad, like integrating with their own in-house legacy email client). The business domain Coconut operates in is growing increasingly more competitive (FinTech), resulting in rapidly changing product strategies. This can lead to a feeling of disconnect between the engineering work being done and any metrics or results the company cares about. Neither of these are really criticisms of Coconut, more so of the businesses they've chosen to work with, but I honestly can't think of anything else to complain about. The only reason I left Coconut was to pursue a startup opportunity, and if it fails Coconut will be the first place I apply to.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Wonderful

Feb 26, 2021 - Administrative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome great , fantastic ,wonderful, classy

Cons

Wish there was more time there

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Great Place to Work

May 25, 2021 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

-excellent company culture -inclusive -great leadership -great pay

Cons

-time from first interview till start date took awhile but was worth it.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Coconut Software.