Canadian Blood Services - Donor Care Associate | Glassdoor.ca
Pros
Cons
  • "Employees strengths, ideas or hard work are not valued, not much room for advancement" (in 4 reviews)

• "Work full time(6 days a week ) in a part time world" (in 6 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Donor Care Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Winnipeg, MB
Former Employee - Anonymous in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great rapport with colleagues and donors. Pay and benefits are good. Always extra shifts available over assigned hours as always people calling in sick. When travelling for training purposes, mileage, hotels etc are covered. Plenty of training offered.

Cons

Management do not care about staff morale or well being. Standing for 8 hour shifts and not allowed a stool to sit down. Expected to do set up in certain locations which involves backbreaking heavy labour. Threatened with termination if do not meet stats. For example during one clinic you may do 5 phlebotomies. One person may faint, one may clot part way through and one may say they feel unwell. All will result in the donation ending which affect your stats. At the end of each month you will be brought to management and asked to explain yourself which is unrealistic and distressing. Working hours are not guaranteed. Could be scheduled anywhere from 5-20 hours per week. If less than 20 hours per week you will not be entitled to benefits. High turn over of staff - Management would rather employ 20 staff members to work 6 hrs per week than employ 8 staff members at 20 hours. Sneaky way to avoid paying benefits to staff. Always check pay stubs as you will frequently be paid an incorrect amount.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more humanely. Employ less staff and give them more hours. These people need to qualify for mortgages, car loans etc and can't when they are contracted non guaranteed hours. Allow staff a stool to sit down when necessary and employ manual labourers to "set up" equipment. Be honest with staff members and be more realistic when looking at stats. There are many reasons for incomplete blood donation units that are not the fault of the phlebotomists.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "In-Clinic Volunteer"

Current Employee - In-Clinic Volunteer
    Current Employee - In-Clinic Volunteer

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time

Pros

They're super flexible with shifts and the job isn't too difficult. Great for gaining volunteer hours!

Cons

Can't think of a single downside.

2. "I love it here!"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

The first place I've worked where everyone is good at their jobs. I know I'm getting the right answer (have no reason to doubt) when I ask someone else a question.
    Managers are great. Internal promotions are preferred versus external candidates. Have contributed greatly to career development.

Cons

Old school web development (not agile)

Discover more reviews about Canadian Blood Services.