"great coworkers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BuildDirect full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation time. Coworkers are awesome people and great to work with. Positive working environment when I first started at BD. Felt part of a team in the big picture. Many opportunities to interact with various departments. Free fruit delivery twice a week.

Cons

Flexible working hours and can work from home only for select employees. The more people who leave (layoff or quit) the more work is dumped on those who remain, mostly with a lack of a thank you or compensation. Lack of timely and honest communication from the executive team. Frequently changing leadership also meant inconsistent company direction. Compensation is below standard. Work environment went from an awesome team environment to walking on egg-shells due to so many staff leaving (mostly not being their choice). Benefit is unlimited vacation time, but in reality, some managers started restricting approving time off, which was not fair to those who were not abusing it. Felt like a double standard of time off being approved depending on who your manager was. A challenge to grow within the company as they usually hired from outside before promoting up or moving up internally. Didn’t improve morale with this action as it repeatedly happened even with qualified internal applicants.

BuildDirect2019-09-13

BuildDirect Response

December 30, 2019Manager, People Team

Thanks for the feedback, it was great to see that there were some areas that you enjoyed during your time with us, despite not getting a positive recommendation from you. We have a community of former colleagues and always strive to give people an experience that they'll remember fondly, and I am sorry that it is not that way for you. I hear your thoughts and suggestions for areas of improvement, and definitely understand your perspective. 2018 and 2019 were challenging years for us, which included hard decisions with recruitment selection and matching the needs of our redefined business focus to the skill set of our coworkers. 2020 gives us a lot of indications that the stabilization of the business will lead to a great future, and we are excited at what the future may hold. I agree that two way communication and transparency are important parts of a great place to work, and we are looking to build on some of the successes we've had in these areas. We have great people and believe that we are building the right base for success for our company and our colleagues, and part of building that great base takes from looking at our operation from all points of view. Your perspective, while critical, helps us to improve and for that I thank you. Cheers, Vonn - Manager, People Team

Other Employee Reviews

"Poor business model, going nowhere despite new investment"

2.0

I worked at BuildDirect full-time

Pros

Great view from the office, unlimited vacation, some good people are left, they have exited CCAA successfully, have received new funding

Cons

The business model for this company is flawed, they have been losing money for a long time and despite a reduction in burn rate I very much doubt they can turn it around. The company has recently focused on sectors of the market they think will save them but have failed to differentiate themselves from competitors. Talent and senior leadership left in large numbers after they went into official financial restructuring (CCAA) The plan towards profitability is pure fantasy, I feel sorry for the investors and employees.

BuildDirect2018-06-02
  2. "Crossing off my Bucket list while working at BD"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administration

I worked at BuildDirect full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked with a leader that recognizes success, welcomes and offers feedback that encouraged me to become more engaged, effective and fulfilled at BD. A work/life balance that afforded me to work flexible hours and off-site was supported. Seeing the world is really important to me and with BD's unlimited vacation benefit, I was able to cross off a lot on my bucket list. Thank you BD!

Cons

Like many companies, BD have always survived tough economic times, however, this has not stopped employees to feel insecure with its stability.

BuildDirect2020-01-27

BuildDirect Response

January 29, 2020Manager, People Team

Thanks for your advice, it is on point. We're continuing with some of the great communication processes we've put in place, and we're going to try to implement a few new ones in 2020. We believe the future is bright and want to make sure we're all on the same page. Thanks for your 5 years of service and we wish you all the best, and we'd love to see you back at some staff events.

Discover more reviews about BuildDirect.