1. "Solid tech team, job stability can be a bit of a worry though"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Note that I can only speak from the perspective of the tech team: - lots of really great people on the tech team; smart, friendly, care about their work, committed to improving - opportunities to learn interesting tools and frameworks (AWS lambda, serverless, docker/Kubernetes, react-redux) - great work-life balance; generous with vacation time and benefits, very little crunch time

Cons

Again, this perspective is limited to my experience on the tech team: - flip-flopping on internal tools to use causes throwaway code and sometimes feels like we waste our time developing things that end up being re-written anyway - recent financial troubles have lead to a slightly uneasy feeling of job instability in the back of many of our minds - workplace culture has degraded slightly in recent years; this is in part due to the financial difficulties (hard to have parties when you have no money), but also because the company has failed to hold on to some key people who helped foster a great culture in the dev team. Important to note that the overall workplace culture is still good, just not as great as it has been in the past

BuildDirect2018-09-13

Other Employee Reviews

"Poor business model, going nowhere despite new investment"

2.0

I worked at BuildDirect full-time

Pros

Great view from the office, unlimited vacation, some good people are left, they have exited CCAA successfully, have received new funding

Cons

The business model for this company is flawed, they have been losing money for a long time and despite a reduction in burn rate I very much doubt they can turn it around. The company has recently focused on sectors of the market they think will save them but have failed to differentiate themselves from competitors. Talent and senior leadership left in large numbers after they went into official financial restructuring (CCAA) The plan towards profitability is pure fantasy, I feel sorry for the investors and employees.

BuildDirect2018-06-02
  2. "Crossing off my Bucket list while working at BD"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administration

I worked at BuildDirect full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked with a leader that recognizes success, welcomes and offers feedback that encouraged me to become more engaged, effective and fulfilled at BD. A work/life balance that afforded me to work flexible hours and off-site was supported. Seeing the world is really important to me and with BD's unlimited vacation benefit, I was able to cross off a lot on my bucket list. Thank you BD!

Cons

Like many companies, BD have always survived tough economic times, however, this has not stopped employees to feel insecure with its stability.

BuildDirect2020-01-27

BuildDirect Response

January 29, 2020Manager, People Team

Thanks for your advice, it is on point. We're continuing with some of the great communication processes we've put in place, and we're going to try to implement a few new ones in 2020. We believe the future is bright and want to make sure we're all on the same page. Thanks for your 5 years of service and we wish you all the best, and we'd love to see you back at some staff events.

Discover more reviews about BuildDirect.