A & B Rail Services - Track Protection Foreman | Glassdoor.ca

Employee Review

"Track Protection Foreman"

Current Employee - Track Protection Foreman in Toronto, ON
Current Employee - Track Protection Foreman in Toronto, ON

I have been working at A & B Rail Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I now have 47 years service on Various class l railways as well as consulting contracts and working at A and B Rail. Therefore I am qualified to say that in all of those years I have never been treated better than I have atA and B Rail.

Cons

Although not their fault, the scheduling being day by day owing to changing customer requests can be frustrating

Advice to Management

I have naught but accolades for PhilHutton, Dave Wilfong and Pat O'Neil. They are all awesome bosses.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "a Trackman perspective"

Current Employee - Trackman in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Trackman in Surrey, BC

I have been working at A & B Rail Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked with A @ B for about 3years. It started out good.In the second week of employment I was on the high rail dump truck. The work was steady. Pay is now with my level 3 First Aid $30.11 per hour. Having blue cross benefits is also a bonus. During the winter I may also go to take my Thai wife to see family for up to 2 months .

Cons

Our company did a tie gang job in Surrey awhile back. I was not pleased with having to use a hand jack all day to put plates in. I asked for a plate jack before but to no avail. Many of our tools our broken and it is very difficult to work when you have to do more than it should. It burns out many trackman. Many have left.

Advice to Management

I strongly would suggest to have enough trackman on the ground who will pull their weight. It seems everyone new and young only want to run a loader so the work load gets put on the older crew.It should take at least 5 years of labour before one may become a full time machine operator and even then they should help on the construction and maintenance.

2. "Track Operator"

Former Employee - Track Operator in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Track Operator in Edmonton, AB

Pros

Good benefits compared to non- union job

Cons

Weak union,nepotism,fault-seeking C.P.R. supervisors will write you up on petty infractions because of infraction quotas laid down by their supervisors. The on the road lifestyle during work season in motels with with no kitchenettes and substance abusing roomates isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Inform employees of wage you're offering them before annual orientation in Edmonton. On the fly training for operators doesn't suit everyone.

Discover more reviews about A & B Rail Services.