A Thinking Ape - A Company That Cares | Glassdoor.ca
  1. "A Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many pros for this company! - The Founders, Directors, and Leads care about the people of ATA and strive to create a healthy and inclusive work space where everyone can be themselves and do their best work. - Flexible work hours: Incredible work life balance - Extreme ownership / freedom on projects. - Support and resources from various sources (team leads, annual professional development budget, studio... library, company wiki etc.) - Perks: studio snacks, weekly catered lunch, monthly celebrations, monthly in-studio massage clinic, annual fitness benefits, active design open workspace, dogs allowed, games room, patio parties, the list goes on. - Fun, super smart people to work with everyday! - ATA is a company that lives true to the company core values.

Cons

Obviously, as the company has grown over the last year there are certain pain points that come with many new hires coming onboard. However, it’s clear that the leadership team has been very proactive in addressing these issues and adapting to protect the amazing culture in the studio.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work!

A Thinking Ape2019-08-20

Other Employee Reviews

1. "A gr-APE place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

Be part of a stable, growing startup with beloved products, exceptional culture, visionary leadership, hard problems and real opportunities.

Cons

Typical startup challenges and opportunities: is it a bug or a feature? Running successful games as a service means we're providing support 24-7.

A Thinking Ape2019-09-25
  2. "Good tech. startup oriented culture, albeit varies vastly by team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people/HR team is great, led by a very capable individual. They put in a lot of effort to make employees comfortable and cared for. It’s a product focussed company that’s experienced good traction, thus being able to invest in future product growth. Engineers, visual designers and artists seem to enjoy their jobs here.

Cons

The cultural values of ‘ownership/autonomy’, ‘best ideas win’ and ‘having wonderful arguments’ is actually resented by the senior folk within some teams - the commercial ones in particular. This leads to a very pronounced form of micro-management that stifles original/critical thinking. The job descriptions for some roles are also dressed up to signify wider scopes than they actually encompass.

A Thinking Ape2019-10-11

A Thinking Ape Response

October 17, 2019Head of People & Culture

We appreciate the kind words about the hard work our People Team puts into making sure the studio is an enjoyable and comfortable workspace. Our team is hugely important to us and we have big ambitions for making ATA an even better place to work for our employees. Our core values are guiding statements that we try and live every day and ideally everyone should be using them to influence their decision making. Within the last year we’ve experienced a lot of growth and the added resources have been great for our teams. However, we recognize that with our strong focus on hiring we may have not done the best job of educating people around the importance of our core values and making sure that everyone has clarity around their meaning. We’re currently working on training materials and new ways in which we can re-engage the team around our core values and ensure that everyone from the CEO to our co-op students are using them to produce outstanding work.

Discover more reviews about A Thinking Ape.