Elemental Data Collection Employee Reviews about "5 hours"

Updated Oct 9, 2020

Found 5 of over 113 reviews

2.4
Elemental Data Collection Partner Colin Kiviaho (no image)
Colin Kiviaho
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, good with school schedule(in 11 reviews)

• "flexible schedule - pick the days you can work a week ahead(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Oh and your doing all this for minimum wage, to my knowledge they do not offer raises or any chance to improve your wages beyond working more hours(in 7 reviews)

• "You will literally jump around from 5 hours one week to 44 hours the next week and then back to 5 the week after(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "5 hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

very boring

Oct 9, 2020 - Call Center Representative in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

the hours are pretty good

Cons

it was really boring having to sit in one place for 5 hours and the supervisors didn't make it any better. they keep complaining without providing any solution to fixing your mistake. they also talk to the teammates with a tone

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Formative, but difficult to praise.

Oct 16, 2017 - Dialer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fascinating conglomerate of human life in a single workspace, flexible hours, reasonable pay, relatively accommodating for students, easy work. I (perhaps foolishly) made friends here who are still in my life today, and I learned a lot about customer service and professionalism that has helped me get other jobs in the Ottawa area since my departure from Elemental.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, incompetent supervisors, high turnover rate, mediocre working conditions, and overall an inescapable air of negativity. Section A of the call centre is kept freezing cold in the winter, contract loopholes keep you from taking 30 minute unpaid breaks on a 5 hour shift, and it's boring, relentlessly static work; you arrive, you halfheartedly dial, you get screamed at, you read, you go home. It's a cycle, and for some, that cycle is probably a comforting constant to rely upon at the end of the day, but for me, I found this environment truly oppressive. Seeing supervisors whose entire lives revolve around the completion of inane surveys is disheartening. Work here if you must, but do not let a job at Elemental become a career - you leave a different person than you were when you began. It has been over six months since I left, but not a day goes by that I don't think about this job and the people I met there.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Garbage job, don't even bother

Jul 20, 2017 - Interviewer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easily accessible by bus, nice coworkers, in downtown Ottawa

Cons

People over the phone are unnecessarily rude, management also rude, absolute minimum wage, the most boring job you could ask for. Awful hours, unable to vent after dealing with a terrible person over the phone (got kicked out for venting just an hour into one of my last shifts. Never worked a 5 hour shift after the incident and I'm kinda happy about that. If the supervisor in question reads this at all, I still hate you and probably forever will.) It's one of the worst jobs you could ever ask for and they pay you for peanuts. I hope this scummy company goes under, like it deserved to ever since I put my foot into that 4th floor. Good god damn riddance, HELLemental.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible Workplace

Dec 15, 2015 - Market Research Interviewer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

They let you pick your own availability on a week by week basis. Some of my coworkers seemed like good people. It's pretty close to a Tim Horton's.That's pretty much the end of the good.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage. Hours are sporadic. You will literally jump around from 5 hours one week to 44 hours the next week and then back to 5 the week after. Even though surveys are probably better than sales calls you still suffer the same abuse from the people you call. The people you call will scream at you, swear at you, and generally treat you like garbage. Shifts are grueling and go by at a snails pace. You only get one 15break + unpaid 30 mins even if you are there for 10-11 hours.They *will* try to short you on hours so make sure you keep track of every minute you log there. The supervisors treat you like children. For example they have "hall passes" that you have to carry around on your 15min break to prove you are allowed away from your desk. Surveys are awkwardly written, incredibly biased and invasive. Scheduling is so insanely slow. They don't release the schedule until the NIGHT BEFORE it comes into effect but they will expect you to fill out your availability every single week on time. Supervisors all fit the " aggressive greasy car salesman" stereotype. They breathe down your neck all day long. They listen to all your calls and pressure you to put respondents on the spot and even outright lie to them. For example I had one supervisor basically tell us to pretend we were a government agency when calling for a particular survey. They have quotas and rates that you are expected to reach even when you have little to no control over whether or not someone decides to participate in the survey. Most people hang up before you even say anything. You'll share a tiny, dirty bathroom with around 50 other people. It never has paper towel and constantly reeks of farts and BO. Staff room is overcrowded and often has overflowing garbage cans. I was told that 80% of new hires quit within the first two weeks and I can totally see why. By the way if you quit without notice you will have $100 docked from your pay. Be warned that this workplace is terrible. Don't believe that one positive commenter above.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible

May 4, 2015 - Market Research Interviewer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Shifts; good coworkers (some at least that chat with you mid calls); good job for those that dislike sales - base pay;

Cons

All supervisors and major human resource filled with power tripping folks. Expect no positive feedback, and bullying techniques for mistakes made. No training whatsoever, provided. Rules changed often, and no respect for management. Terrible ownership. You need decent rates otherwise you don't get approved for shifts the following week. Supervisors don't get paid a lot but have major power issues. Everyone in power with any contact with the interviewers seem to have power issues except quite a few. Management is filled with unclassed unprofessional folks. Noticed it right away at the interview and orientation with the receptionist. You work 44 hours a week on some days and maybe 5 hours the next. Really terribke, mainly depending on the amount of projects they get.

1 person found this review helpful