Element AI Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2020

3.3
Element AI Founder and CEO Jean-François Gagné
Jean-François Gagné
Pros
  • "The office is spanking new, Montreal a great city, free food(in 5 reviews)

• "Smart people, great ideas and possibilities(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "A formidable machine thrashing in all directions without creating anything of value(in 3 reviews)

• "Element AI is now the shadow of what it could have been(in 3 reviews)

"We're headed in the right direction"

5.0
    Current Employee - Applied Research Scientist in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Making products out of AI is tougher than one would imagine. I am so very proud to be part of a team who works super hard to figure out what it even means to build AI products (as opposed to AI-powered products). The business understands that innovation is key in our domain and isn't shy in investing significantly in it. Obviously, the Montreal office is also very attractive, although I wouldn't say this is why anyone should stay around.

Cons

Making AI products is hard, which leads to confusion and (too?) quick pivoting. 2019 was a rough year on that front, but 2020's outlook is much better. We lack domain expertise in AI application domains. Nobody knows how AI solutions should be built: we're figuring it out as we go. Leadership could be better.

Continue reading

"Cool startup, lack or organization"

Former Employee - General

I worked at Element AI full-time

Pros

Smart people, great ideas and possibilities

Cons

Lack of structure and organization

"AI is a buzzword, don't fall for it"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Montreal, QC

I worked at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, snacks, and that's about it

Cons

Bad managers, bad management, bad CEO, and crappy projects.

Continue reading

"Was a dream job...until it wasn't."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist

I worked at Element AI full-time

Pros

You get to work with incredibly smart, talented and driven colleagues.

Cons

Bad money management caused painful, and mostly underserved, layoffs.

5. "It's a good company to work at."

Former Employee - Designer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people work there. Lost of brilliant minds.

Cons

Volatile, job security is not high. Leaving a lot of teams to overwork to have more job security.

"No strategy whatsoever"

2.0
    Former Employee - Applied Research Scientist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool campus and free food

Cons

No strategy whatsoever and chaotic environment

7. COVID-19

"Plenty of work to be done"

Current Employee - AI Developer in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Element AI full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of work to be done building products for clients. We use the latest technology as we are building new products from the ground up, so there is no legacy code or technology to be dealt with. I've been fortunate to be in a team with good chemistry. We have a good division of responsibilities and we have good direction for our product. The lunches at work are absolutely fantastic, with lots of healthy choices. Lunch time is a great time to strengthen relationships with other colleagues and breakup the work day. Hopefully we can get back to the office to take advantage of this once all the coronavirus stuff has settled down. Good culture of security to make sure we are protecting people's data as much as possible. The IT team does a good job a bringing awareness to security best practices.

Cons

Haven't been able to ship a high quality and high impact product yet. Hopefully that changes this year. There are some promising things in the works in terms of products being built for clients.

8. "Exciting to work at Element AI"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Element AI full-time

Pros

Being very busy! Good busy!

Cons

Since it’s a startup, things are moving too fast. Need to adapt rapidly.

"CEO is dysfunctional and arrogant!"

Former Employee - Dev/Team Lead in Montreal, QC

I worked at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, nice office, good pay

Cons

There are so many cons to unpack about this company; lack of ceo accountability and transparency, execs that need arbitration to make basic decisions (worrying sign), far too much middle management, misogyny / boys clubs, pivoting every three seconds, ignoring fundamental issues with intellectual property company wanted to keep as part of business deals (impressively stupid this one) and finally, weirdly, a lack of data to build the AI products (guys you should focus less on lunches and more on data feeds for your models). Most of these issues stem from or are made far worse from a CEO who believed his company’s own hype, and so ignored all those who told him these issues. Company doesn’t have exec talent to pull off the tricky task of bringing AI products to market. They’ve squandered away so many millions on vanity projects. My advice stay far away, and write to your local MP to tell them to stop using QC pension funds to fuel this lunacy.

Continue reading

"There is not much hope after all the hype!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at Element AI full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. There are still several good engineers and researchers (however many good employees recently left) 2. Free food 3. Beautiful office space 4. Many holidays

Cons

1. Lots of talks about values but no actions. 2. Most managers have no background and knowledge on software development and/or machine learning and as the results the direction changes every week. This causes so much disappointment in employees. 3. Speaking up about issues is nearly impossible. Speaking up about issues make employees the next target for the next layoff, so many just leave on their own. It seems they just want employees who fully comply. 4. Employees find out about decisions made after they have been implemented. 5. Poor morals have impact on the high turnover rate among employees. Many employees leave without having jobs lined up for them.

Found 53 reviews