Eastman "decision making" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Eastman Employee Reviews about "decision making"

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.6
Eastman CEO Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
Pros
Cons
  • "Decision making is a very lengthy process, an employee needs to have a champion to have a career(in 42 reviews)

• "Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult(in 40 reviews)

Reviews about "decision making"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Decent"

Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent and Benefits are decent

Cons

Work to life balance. Rotating schedule. Lack of true leadership and decision making.

Eastman2019-09-25
  2. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance for the most part, great fitness classes on premises during lunch and after work, good salary especially considering cost of living in area can easily afford one income living, numerous interesting projects to work on

Eastman2019-02-11

"A Cultural Advantage Makes Eastman a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture is very collaborative, ethical and caring, but still high performing. Strategy to move towards specialty products seems to be working with lots of upside.

Cons

Tend to be too conservative in decision making

Advice to Management

Continue current strategy and don't get impatient

Eastman2018-05-03
  4. "Highly Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I have been working at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great compensation, flexible schedules. Of course, most of this depends on the area you go into and your manager. If you find yourself in a job that does not reflect "great" then certainly look into transferring into another job within the company.

Cons

No job is perfect, but the only cons I can think of are that we have a LOT of management--layers upon layers of management. This makes it difficult for decision-making and communication. You don't know who is responsible for a decision or who needs to be involved, which ultimately leads to time wasted and people upset over not being "in the loop". Also, our bonus system is nice, but causes drama. For instance,... when individuals are rated well and receive a nice bonus, it's hard to enjoy because you hear others very upset about their ranking and we are told that people ranked well get their bonus from the people that are not ranked well (take from the "low" performers and give to the "high" performers). This makes good performers feel a bit guilty, despite how well-deserved the "high" ranking is. No Paternity leave, which is critical to the health of our families. I struggled with adjusting to life with a newborn and my husband had no paternity leave (he works for the same company) which made my situation much more stressful being home alone with a newborn and no support.

Advice to Management

Maybe the bonus system has been misrepresented, but we are told that management must rank us 1-10 (or however many are in a group) and regardless of how well the individuals have done, the bottom rankings have their bonuses reduced. If this is a communication issue the I would recommend communicating directly with employees about how it works instead of allowing word-of-mouth to be the only explanation. Research... the benefits of paternity leave and consider adding it.

Eastman2017-05-15
  5. "Accounting Manager"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Ghent

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Corporate culture, good work-life balance, career opportunities

Cons

Complex hierarchy, slow decision-making process

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas of the people in regions

Eastman2017-04-06
  6. "Specialty Chemical Company"

Current Employee - Technology in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The strategy to develop into a specialty chemical company makes Eastman an extremely exciting place to work. Every business team supports a balance of productivity and growth initiatives and focus to deliver results. The people are talented and work with sense of urgency. I really like working in the technology organization at Eastman.

Cons

There are some of the usual big company issues at Eastman; specifically, the two biggest complaints are some activities can be process heavy and decision making can sometimes be slow. People need to develop some process knowledge and political savvy to get things done or they become very frustrated.

Advice to Management

My advice is mostly to keep up the good work. Your people are a great asset to continue to provide a work environment that attracts and maintains talent.

Eastman2017-01-21

Eastman Response

March 17, 2017Communications Rep.

Thanks for your review. We agree that Eastman is a very exciting place to work and that we have great people! There's a lot going on and our team members will help us be successful! Eastman has changed a lot over the past few years, but change is a good thing. The market is changing and our customers expect us to change with it. It's an exciting time and we have to change to stay competitive! We see that as a good thing!

"Great Employees, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

The strength of Eastman will always be the boots on the ground. Coworkers are friendly and genuinely motivated to help you succeed. Front line management is focused on providing their employees with the tools they need to do their jobs. They also excel at mentoring and growing their employees. Driven and successful people are highly rewarded.

Cons

There are many layers of middle management, and from the bottom it is unclear how much value they add. Lower middle management (just above front-line supervisors) tends to be populated by yes-men that have little understanding of the processes or people they manage. Ineffective managers who have impressed somebody in the past are shuffled around to where they can do the least damage. Kingsport is a small town, and... those who's parents work at Eastman get promoted with uncanny regularity. Decision-making is slow (except in the case of a manager's pet project!) such that most good ideas are not commercialized until the market has moved on and the product will no longer be profitable. The Executive Suite like to talk about the strength of Eastman's employees and how they are the reason for the company's success, especially before and after announcing layoffs or benefit reductions so the company can meet its earning growth targets. Layoffs are often done quietly. What was once a very paternalistic company where "Uncle George" Eastman took care of his employees is quickly becoming an investor-focused profit machine.

Advice to Management

To the executive team, remember that a company's stakeholders need to win in order for the company to succeed. Pursuing profit at the expense of employee benefits damages moral and hurts the company just as much, if not more, than neglecting maintenance on equipment. To non-executive management, continue to advocate for your people. Give them the room to thrive and reward them for meeting company objectives. Make... those objectives useful and achievable.

Eastman2016-11-14

"Customer development program will reap benefit in the long run."

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1- focus on commercial excellence, winning with customer by focusing on win-win for both parties. 2- working team is encouraged to work closely with customer's technical organization. 3- bad news is allowed to travel up in the organization to potentially allow for course correction.

Cons

1- need to expand product portfolio in selected industry segment so that we are more relevant to our target customers. Expansion could be done through organic or inorganic bolt-on. 2- need to decentralize decision making unit and allow team to experiment, course correct and, as long as the long term vision is correct, this flexibility will allow for pragmatic and quicker approach to reach our stated internal goal.... 3- focus on listening to customer need. It is ok to tear down our own hypothesis if multiple customers stated their preferred approach because sometimes not every hypothesis that we originally had is the right hypothesis. Be flexible.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on win with customer. If we select the right customer segment, and deliver on our promise, our customer will see the benefit of working with Eastman vs other suppliers. Some customers come to this realization quicker than others, but some will be slower, but let's continue this spirit and it will pay off. Focus on developing your talents, especially your best talents by stretching them with good... assignment, and at the same time allow them to experiment, they will find ways to succeed and thrive.

Eastman2016-10-31
  9. "One of the best places to work"

Research in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities, lots of learnings of new fields, businesses and skills. One of the best and ethical management. Safety oriented, very good work-life balance. Employees are valued and provided with lots of training classes useful for future positions. Generous base salary and fair benefits. Best of all, I made lifelong friends and coworkers at Eastman.

Cons

The location is not for everyone. Can be slow in decision making process and immigration support. It will really be hard for you to adjust to another company after working for Eastman (probably the reason people boomerang).

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first. Be more willing to innovate and explore out of your comfort zone (technologically)

Eastman2016-09-17

"Good work life balance but limited career progression"

Current Employee - Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good and reasonably big US MNC company. Great colleagues. Nice office and flexible working hours. Good travel opportunities. Good regional exposure.

Cons

Slow in management decisions. Limited career progression. Too many layers of decision making process. Current boss is too micro managing.

Advice to Management

Do not just focus on meeting shareholders expectations. It's the people that makes the company.

Eastman2016-09-22