East Side Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua Nilson

"Progressive and Inclusive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people!!! Everyone contributes a unique kind of awesomeness that is celebrated and welcomed.
     - Strong commitment from execs to push for more female representation at the studio (currently at ~25%) and for women's rights in general.
     - Sincere concern for individuals' health and wellness. Promote mental health awareness around the office, pay for 1 yoga and spin class per week, 2 crossfit type class per week, and 1 meditation and Floathouse session per month.
     - A genuine interest in corporate social responsibility #ESGcares...supporting women in the Downtown Eastside (Crabtree Corner), SPCA, LGBTQ rights, fostering community within the indie tech scene.

Cons

- For feedback, at times you hear more "Things you can work on" rather than "Things you are doing well." It would be nice to be given more positive feedback on a more frequent basis.
     - The office space is becoming a little cramped. There are only 2 meeting/boardrooms and for a studio of ~75, only 3 washrooms. The line ups can be a bit ridiculous. They are currently looking to relocate to a bigger space, but probably not until 6+ months away.

Advice to Management

Continue to push #ESGcares and set new standards for what a company can do and accomplish outside of products and revenues. Encourage managers to give up some more kudos more often.

2. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is super amazing to work with! Never loved a group of people that I've worked with more.
    - The studio layout is very open, making communication incredibly easy and efficient!
    - There are many incentives promoting health and wellness in the studio.
    - Regular opportunities to be kept in the know of what's happening on current and upcoming various projects

Cons

- There are a few projects that were made using older technologies. (Thankfully, this is changing!)
    - There are a few projects that feel as though they have been forgotten with no updates on their future.

Advice to Management

While all the projects that we are working on are fun projects to be on, it would be nice to see a little more focus on existing projects given the size of our studio. Just feels like resources are being spread out a bit too thin.

3. "Great environment for growth!"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the most amazing things about working at East Side Games is their overall attitude if enabling everybody on the team to push the studio forward. One of the guiding principles of ESG's company culture is to be fiercely independent and that doesn't just count for the studio as a whole. Anybody who want to make a difference is able to do so as the hierarchies are actually as flat as most other places just promise.

Cons

As most of the studios which started really small and grew to a size of just under a hundred employees, ESG is still within a maturing process and you can expect that you sometimes experience the company being confronted with all those problems a growing video game studio can have. Nevertheless you can be assured that if you are a driver for change and aim for making things better, you'll be in the right environment to get it done.

Advice to Management

Look for senior talent in all capacities and make sure to have a close look at how the competition is getting things done as well.

"An Open, Inviting Environment to Learn and Innovate"

Current Employee - Community Team in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Community Team in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people! They are incredible, and the HR team does a great job hiring people who fit the company value and culture. We have a strict 'Be Kind' policy that everyone respects. People are open, accepting, and willing to help one another out.
    - The culture. It's the perfect mix of fun-loving and hard-working. They organize tons of events for us -- Lunch and Learns, Senior Outings, Quarterly Team Outings, Holiday Parties, Ladies Nights. They have a learning credit as well and constantly push you to grow to your fullest potential.
    - Their commitment to women in tech. I've been in tech for a long time and have felt that pain of sexism and stunted growth many times in the past. I truly think this comes down to the CEOs in the end, and the kind of sentiment that trickles down from them. I have never felt like my sex comes into play at ESG. I'm included in important decisions, given great feedback, and feel truly empowered.
    - The autonomy. It's an environment where you have to be a self starter, and create your own structure a lot of the time. However, as a lead you're often given full autonomy and feel as though you are trusted. If you want to implement change you don't have to jump through hoops to do so.
    - Their support of others in the gaming industry. I've never worked for a company that fosters these kind of positive relationships in their own industry. It's refreshing. We are always involved in gaming events, and have friends at many studios in the Vancouver area and elsewhere. Everyone is supportive or one another, and have a lot of open dialogue to learn from each other's trials and triumphs.

Cons

- The neighbourhood. It has its pros and cons! A lot of great culture and food surrounds the studio which is a huge plus. There are some areas nearby however that you try to avoid as it can take its toll seeing the DTES social issues on a daily basis. We do get involved with a lot of great charity initiatives but it would be awesome to see that kicked up a few notches. I'd love to see us implement programs where studio members can go out and make a difference -- serve at a soup kitchen, hold clothing drives in the winter, buy lunch and coffee for the hard working people at the emergency medical tents set up nearby. There are so many ways we can make a difference!
    - Communication. This is something that plagues so many companies, and I know it's tough when you reach a certain size to really tackle this issue. There are still silos in the company and departments that should be communicating more to one another.
    - Feedback. We don't hold reviews (their reasoning for this does make sense though!) However, sometimes it's really hard to tell how others think you are doing in your role. It's not very often you will receive positive feedback or affirmation from above and that can be a bit tough sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep your strict hiring policy when it comes to only bringing on team members that fit our culture and values. Make sure everyone in the studio is well aware of our pillars and stick to them as often as possible. Get out into the neighbourhood and try to make positive, personal changes to the DTES. Continue working on breaking down those silos and ensure there is more cross-department interactions on the day to day.

6. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Outstanding environment
    - Growing company
    - Strong culture
    - Good relationship among co-workers
    - Good benefits and treats
    - Excellent Work/Life balance

Cons

- Company is growing a lot and the current office is not big enough (soon we'll have a new one)
    - Sometimes business goals are unclear
    - Lack of career plan
    - Unbalanced skills (some people have a lot, while others lack it.. )

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong leadership and culture, but should better align the business goals with sprints

23 Mar, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We're nestled in the heart of the DTES in Vancouver and have grown from a team of 14 to almost 80! As we continue to maintain and build more mobile games, we understand the ... More

7. "East Side Games"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Lots of freedom to make an impact on teams
    - Strong culture
    - Small team sizes

Cons

- Freedom can also mean lack of high level direction

Advice to Management

- Repeat high level business direction more than you think you need to and present to the studio if we are on track to hit our high level goals more often than quarterly

21 Feb, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate the advice to management as we continue to grow as a studio. Our focus is to make our employees involved in the direction of our goals, as everyone has a voice ... More

8. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at East Side Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, talented people, and super friendly management that tries to accommodate life events as best they can.

Cons

When I first started the company was entirely dependent on a single title for its survival, which created a lot of pressure. But once they got traction on mobile things improved considerably.

Advice to Management

My advice, which they seem to be following now, is to focus on Unity for their new projects, and to consolidate their resources on a single new game at a time.

21 Feb, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We are a Unity focused mobile studio with a series of new titles emerging. We pride ourselves on the success of our titles from the past & look forward to our future ... More

9. "Awesome people, awesome culture"

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch every Wednesday.
    Free alcohol and snacks every Friday.
    A bunch of people who have passion in making games.

Cons

Technology that used to build games is old.
    Games are mostly related to weed. If you don't like it, don't apply to it.
    Not enough senior software engineers at the moment

Advice to Management

Need to start thinking of new technology.
    Need to look for good, solid and experienced software engineers.

23 Feb, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate your input as we move forward using various technologies, both old and new, that make most sense for the types of games we build.

10. "Awesome people and work culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- some really great people to work with. If you are a gamer/geek, you will fit right in
    - a strong passion towards not only the games they make but also the players that play their games
    - very well structured benefits program including budget per employee for taking training (including classes or seminars)
    - very loose job assignments allowing you move to a project that you really enjoy after the training period. I have seen staff from community support move to QA and QA moving to game design. Programmers move to another team to work on either new games being developed or get to work on a game of their own idea.
    - there is a swill and spill event, pitch you game idea and if its well received - the company puts in resources to get a prototype up and running
    - heavy emphasis on team/company events. There are the weekly Lunch n' Learns. Board Game nights and Snack n' Learn
    - very little occurances of "crunch" times

Cons

- some tech is a bit "old" but there has been a push to update where appropriately. Key priority has been about keeping the games running smoothly than using what is trendy right now
    - if you have concerns with working with weed/pot related themes, you may not work out here. Their key games are around the Pot Farm games

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the already great people and work culture

6 May, 2015 – HR Manager

Thanks for the great feedback! While our legacy Facebook game was built a few years ago, we're now a mobile-first studio building exciting games across multiple platforms. To support our continued ... More

11. "Epic."

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth, invested management, strong culture.

Cons

Location can be difficult to get to / find parking.

24 Feb, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We've been fortunate to promote & develop a number of key players in the studio. Starting from Community into other divisions like QA, Game Design & Production. We're ... More