East Side Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good"

Current Employee - Game Data Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Game Data Analyst in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Nice people are here to work with.

Cons

I cannot come up with anything yet.

2. "Great company, but not enough emphasis on hard work."

I have been working at East Side Games full-time

Pros

Good work / life balance, good benefits, fun IP's.

Cons

Low level staff feel very entitled.

3. "Growing Pains"

I worked at East Side Games full-time

Pros

-Inclusive progressive team and environment

-Great people on game teams

-Decent transparency

Cons

-Favouritism to teams performing well, and the opposite

-Lack of structure, processes, methodology

- Founders don’t understand some of their departments

Advice to Management

- Founders still treating a mid-sized company with people trying to achieve their own creative goals as a startup where they can come in last second and change things to their preference without impacting the processes the game team set into place. Do less, listen more.

"Progressive and Inclusive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people!!! Everyone contributes a unique kind of awesomeness that is celebrated and welcomed.
     - Strong commitment from execs to push for more female representation at the studio (currently at ~25%) and for women's rights in general.
     - Sincere concern for individuals' health and wellness. Promote mental health awareness around the office, pay for 1 yoga and spin class per week, 2 crossfit type class per week, and 1 meditation and Floathouse session per month.
     - A genuine interest in corporate social responsibility #ESGcares...supporting women in the Downtown Eastside (Crabtree Corner), SPCA, LGBTQ rights, fostering community within the indie tech scene.

Cons

- For feedback, at times you hear more "Things you can work on" rather than "Things you are doing well." It would be nice to be given more positive feedback on a more frequent basis.
     - The office space is becoming a little cramped. There are only 2 meeting/boardrooms and for a studio of ~75, only 3 washrooms. The line ups can be a bit ridiculous. They are currently looking to relocate to a bigger space, but probably not until 6+ months away.

Advice to Management

Continue to push #ESGcares and set new standards for what a company can do and accomplish outside of products and revenues. Encourage managers to give up some more kudos more often.

5. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is super amazing to work with! Never loved a group of people that I've worked with more.
    - The studio layout is very open, making communication incredibly easy and efficient!
    - There are many incentives promoting health and wellness in the studio.
    - Regular opportunities to be kept in the know of what's happening on current and upcoming various projects

Cons

- There are a few projects that were made using older technologies. (Thankfully, this is changing!)
    - There are a few projects that feel as though they have been forgotten with no updates on their future.

Advice to Management

While all the projects that we are working on are fun projects to be on, it would be nice to see a little more focus on existing projects given the size of our studio. Just feels like resources are being spread out a bit too thin.

6. "Fiercely Independent"

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ESG is a truly independent studio!

The games we make are what pay our bills, which allows us to work on the games we want! ESG also provides an amazing culture both in the industry and in the local community. The studio still has a small company vibe which is great, and actively encourages employees to take ownership and actively move forward.

Cons

Historically older technology was used for previous games, which has turned around now; however, as new technology is implemented and used there will be inevitable (but necessary) growing pains.

Advice to Management

Being independent often leads to the feeling of needing to try many projects at once. With the size of the studio, I would suggest focusing more people on less projects at a time.

7. "great environment and supportive company"

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is excellent. Company events are scheduled during work hours. Many free perks such as meditation, floats, spin classes, and yoga. Very flat hierarchy and the company is always asking for feedback. Best on-boarding process I've ever experienced. Culture is excellent, the people are great and the work environment is open and fun. I feel very supported by my manager as well as HR. Flexible benefits is a nice bonus.

Cons

The only con is ESG is outgrowing their studio space. Looking forward to a larger studio in the future with enough bathrooms to accommodate us!

Advice to Management

Continually seeking feedback from employees is great, but anonymous feedback/questions would improve upon that. Some people may fear they can't give negative feedback with their name attached to it.

8. "ESG"

I have been working at East Side Games full-time

Pros

It's so great coming to work and feeling like you are part of a community and thriving culture. There are so many wonderful incentives and perks that you can look forward to, it makes it feel more like a second home then just an office to work at.

-Great benefits

- Issues don't remain stagnant. Management is always looking for ways to improve processes, communication, etc.

Cons

-Tons of growth in the last year, which is great in some ways but I worry about lack of space in our current office.

9. "Great environment for growth!"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the most amazing things about working at East Side Games is their overall attitude if enabling everybody on the team to push the studio forward. One of the guiding principles of ESG's company culture is to be fiercely independent and that doesn't just count for the studio as a whole. Anybody who want to make a difference is able to do so as the hierarchies are actually as flat as most other places just promise.

Cons

As most of the studios which started really small and grew to a size of just under a hundred employees, ESG is still within a maturing process and you can expect that you sometimes experience the company being confronted with all those problems a growing video game studio can have. Nevertheless you can be assured that if you are a driver for change and aim for making things better, you'll be in the right environment to get it done.

Advice to Management

Look for senior talent in all capacities and make sure to have a close look at how the competition is getting things done as well.

"An Open, Inviting Environment to Learn and Innovate"

Current Employee - Community Team in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Community Team in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at East Side Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people! They are incredible, and the HR team does a great job hiring people who fit the company value and culture. We have a strict 'Be Kind' policy that everyone respects. People are open, accepting, and willing to help one another out.
    - The culture. It's the perfect mix of fun-loving and hard-working. They organize tons of events for us -- Lunch and Learns, Senior Outings, Quarterly Team Outings, Holiday Parties, Ladies Nights. They have a learning credit as well and constantly push you to grow to your fullest potential.
    - Their commitment to women in tech. I've been in tech for a long time and have felt that pain of sexism and stunted growth many times in the past. I truly think this comes down to the CEOs in the end, and the kind of sentiment that trickles down from them. I have never felt like my sex comes into play at ESG. I'm included in important decisions, given great feedback, and feel truly empowered.
    - The autonomy. It's an environment where you have to be a self starter, and create your own structure a lot of the time. However, as a lead you're often given full autonomy and feel as though you are trusted. If you want to implement change you don't have to jump through hoops to do so.
    - Their support of others in the gaming industry. I've never worked for a company that fosters these kind of positive relationships in their own industry. It's refreshing. We are always involved in gaming events, and have friends at many studios in the Vancouver area and elsewhere. Everyone is supportive or one another, and have a lot of open dialogue to learn from each other's trials and triumphs.

Cons

- The neighbourhood. It has its pros and cons! A lot of great culture and food surrounds the studio which is a huge plus. There are some areas nearby however that you try to avoid as it can take its toll seeing the DTES social issues on a daily basis. We do get involved with a lot of great charity initiatives but it would be awesome to see that kicked up a few notches. I'd love to see us implement programs where studio members can go out and make a difference -- serve at a soup kitchen, hold clothing drives in the winter, buy lunch and coffee for the hard working people at the emergency medical tents set up nearby. There are so many ways we can make a difference!
    - Communication. This is something that plagues so many companies, and I know it's tough when you reach a certain size to really tackle this issue. There are still silos in the company and departments that should be communicating more to one another.
    - Feedback. We don't hold reviews (their reasoning for this does make sense though!) However, sometimes it's really hard to tell how others think you are doing in your role. It's not very often you will receive positive feedback or affirmation from above and that can be a bit tough sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep your strict hiring policy when it comes to only bringing on team members that fit our culture and values. Make sure everyone in the studio is well aware of our pillars and stick to them as often as possible. Get out into the neighbourhood and try to make positive, personal changes to the DTES. Continue working on breaking down those silos and ensure there is more cross-department interactions on the day to day.