Earls Kitchen + Bar Reviews

Mo Jessa
  1. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender/Shift Leader

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time

Pros

Great place to work for a short or long time

Cons

Competitive shift allocation, have to work there for a long time

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-05-04
  2. "Overall a fun place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Hostess/Cashier in Vernon, BC

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time

Pros

A fun work environment with nice people

Cons

The unpredictable hours made it difficult to make plans.

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-05-05
  3. "Great company with great values"

Current Employee - Server in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really love the company culture at Earls, and the opportunity to grow within the company. The management is very involved and cares a lot about the partners.

Cons

None that I can think of

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-05-01
  4. "Average Restaurant Job"

Former Employee - Floor Manager - Key Holder in Calgary, AB

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fast paced, social environment with plenty of opportunity to learn new skills and work your way up into senior positions.

Cons

Promotions may be handed out too liberally or given to people who are unqualified and underprepared. Generally high employee turnover rate.

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-05-12
  5. "Fancy sit-down Mcdonalds"

2.0
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Penticton, BC

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time for more than a year

Pros

-organized, clear cut hierarchy in kitchen modelled from successful fast food chains -geared to hiring high school students with no prior skillset, training is effective as far as kitchens go -staff is typically close-knit and become a “work family” even after hours -servers are hired based on attractiveness which is nice -transferring to another Earls location is an easy switch if they like you

Cons

All pros are not in place to benefit you so much to entice you, any and all attempts to push the envelope or assert yourself outside the desires of management will be met with troubling resistance - if you are not a social person or do not take to the MLM style kitchen culture, you will not enjoy working here - if you run into issues with your hours, training, management - you will be considered the problem - tips are dispensed via a nebulous and unexplainable system that dilutes all tips you receive through the pockets of higher ranking employees in FOH and BOH long before you get them -management is akin to club or deluxe bar management in that their values often stem from how much they personally like you rather than appreciation of your work ethic. They will notice if you aren’t working your butt off, the opposite is considered bare expectation which is a little goofy for the wage they pay - Earls is a large chain with a manufactured sense of prestige that is designed to work on a high turnaround. Their prime employee demographic are young people who have never worked anywhere else and can take sustained exploitation in various ways. Invariably employees are hit by the system at one point or another and find that all the crap they tell you about taking care of you and family only applies if you don’t actually need consideration. They force out people who rock the boat and typically a “career” at Earls ends in total disappointment at some point or another, usually within a couple years. Even for low level management.

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-04-19
  6. "Great culture, not ideal hours, great people."

4.0
    Former Employee - Line Cook
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time

Pros

People, food, atmosphere and training

Cons

Hours were sometimes difficult to accommodate while in high school

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-03-31
  7. "Kitchen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Busy restaurant. No down time.

Cons

Shifts can be for some odd hours.

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-03-15
  8. "Excellent People, Poor Pay"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Saskatoon, SK
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoy working at Earls, and have made some true lifelong friends there. What they say is true, everyone is just one big family. The dinner rush, while sometimes stressful, is fun to take on when you’re surrounded by the right team. Everyone has a fun personality and is always making jokes, including the managers. The job isn’t too difficult, and if you put in the effort, it’s not too hard to move up line over the course of your time there. I’ve learned a lot over the years and wouldn’t trade my experience for anything.

Cons

As much as I love the atmosphere at Earls, the pay is terrible. I’ve come to the decision that I have to quit and get a new job because I am now a senior person on line, and I still only make $12 per hour, which is not a livable wage. Many around my with the same (or higher) seniority all make between $12 and $13. The extra responsibility and stress that goes along with being a senior employee isn’t worth the pitiful wage Earls pays, especially when it’s equivalent to the people we’re literally training. Earls is great if you don’t care about the money aspect.

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-03-13
  9. "Great people, great atmosphere, challenging work"

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome staff, fast-paced environment, good tips

Cons

Unpredictable hours, intense vibe, lots of walking

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-03-04
  10. "Great place"

Former Employee - Server in Calgary, AB

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees, great management, good schedule

Cons

Used to be mandatory to wear heels

Earls Kitchen + Bar2020-03-05