EF English First Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2021

Found 668 of over 813 reviews

3.4
EF English First President 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren
Pros
  • "People in EF are very nice, nice working environment(in 39 reviews)

• "Salary is always paid on time every month(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Diet in china is bad as i have allergies(in 60 reviews)

• "Production schedule isn't aligned with Chinese National holidays so cannot plan holidays in advance(in 35 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good first school

Feb 17, 2021 - English As A Second Language Teacher in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good resources. Good starting company for esl teachers.

Cons

Low pay. More focused on sales/marketing than education.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overall Good

Feb 12, 2021 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Had an overall positive experience

Cons

Pay could be better but that's true anywhere

Vice President

Thank you for posting a review. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience teaching with EF. Thank you for your feedback about the pay. We value constructive feedback as we strive to provide teachers with an excellent experience. In terms of pay, we balance this with other benefits such as the online teaching platform, ready-made teaching materials, support team, and flexible working schedule (for freelance teachers). Thank you for taking the time to post. All the best with your future endeavors.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Teaching is like performing

Jan 30, 2020 - ESL Teacher in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great camaraderie among coworkers.

Cons

Challenging workload at times. Difficult for newcomers to get a steady work; opportunities are based on a teacher's seniority.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Foreign English Teacher

Jan 18, 2019 - Foreign English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent compensation. There's also excellent support from local staff for help with visas, settling in, housing, healthcare and more.

Cons

The workload is too high. Teachers very often teach more than 24 contact hours each week, which is exhausting and unfortunately makes teaching quality lessons to all students impossible.

Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at EF. It's a big commitment to come to China, and we do our best to make the relocation as smooth and worry-free as possible. We are therefore very happy to hear that you had a very positive onboarding and felt well looked after from our local staff. We understand that teaching is very demanding. We try to keep all teachers at or below their contract hours as this is in the best interest of our teachers and the quality of our classes. On those occasions when teaching hours do exceed contract hours, we do compensate for the extra hours. Thank you for your suggestion on providing more training to our support staff including our teacher assistants. This is an area that is often overlooked and one that we could, and should, focus more attention on.

5. 5.0

English Teacher

Feb 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company atmosphere and people.

Cons

No comments. Great culture and communication.

Vice President

Thanks for your feedback! We're so happy to hear you enjoy and appreciate our company culture and environment. One of the things we really focus on is making sure our teachers have a happy environment to work in and we try to create a culture of open communication to make sure all of our teachers feel valued and supported throughout their time with us. Thank you for all that you do.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

A Great company to work for!

Sep 5, 2016 - ESL Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

They allowed me to work independently and come up with my own ideas for Life Clubs. Fellow employees were very friendly and worked together as a team.

Cons

Had to spend downtime in the office when we didn't have any classes. Management wasn't always flexible about giving us the ability to change our schedule.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Teacher

May 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

a lot of opportunity

Cons

does not pay for accommodations

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great material; Low Pay

Jul 1, 2021 - English Instructor in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

EF has an excellent trove of teaching material. They furnish teachers with both primary and supplementary material that work well with several teaching techniques such as the CELTA. Additionally, they have an excellent online learning platform called English Town that is highly engaging and works well with their printed material. Overall, EF has a robust bank of pedagogical resources that takes the guesswork out of lesson planning.

Cons

Contributing to their significant profit margin, EF has engaged in a policy of paying their teachers extremely low wages. In my area, they are among the lowest wage employers despite having the largest overall sales numbers. Additionally, mid-level administration (not-including executive officers but rather branch managers) are not really concerned with establishing a positive social culture. Political infighting among administrators, vying for advancement, creates issues for employees (mainly faculty) that mostly are just interested in teaching but must always be careful about where they plant their flag. The result is a highly political environment that make job-security an issue. Faculty is regularly reminded in ways both subtle and overt that they are replaceable. Overall morale is, therefore, quite low.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent place to work, but communication needs improvement.

Jul 10, 2021 - International Teacher in Moscow
      Business Outlook

Pros

Other teachers were fantastic to work with Supportive environment

Cons

Not a lot of time to lesson plan if you want the number of teaching hours you need to make full salary. Communication about sudden schedule changes was lacking

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

EF English First is Reputable company

Apr 27, 2021 - Online ESL Teacher in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

English First Online is reputable company. I work for the division that teaches Chinese children how to speak English. While there are many companies that hire tutors/teachers to each Chinese I think EF is one of the best.

Cons

I have not found a con yet. While I saw that someone complained about pay I feel that they are competitive with companies such as Vipkid, Qkids, Dada, etc. Recently, I read that people were not getting bookings from 2 of the three companies that I mentioned that is not at all the case with EF. I received bookings my first week- 8, my second week- about 12 and the third week- I had over 25 lessons-25 minute lesson. Last week I had 34 lessons which I found to be too much. I will start averaging about 26 lessons. All the support people with EF Online have been helpful. Beyond the base pay one can get$1 added to every lesson if they teach at least 60 lessons that month. Another dollar can be had if the teacher is on time and does not miss any lessons on particular month. Lessons that are during the surge/ peak times get paid an additional fee. During the pandemic this is a fantastic job.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 668 Reviews