EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 17, 2019

3.6
EF Education First CEO Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
Pros
  • "Great work environment where workers are really valued(in 150 reviews)

• "Free travel opportunities (get to go on the tours they sell for free, either once a year or every other year depending on your position)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your role, expect to work long hours during "busy season"(in 100 reviews)

• "Low salary especially in city like shanghai(in 86 reviews)

1. "A high energy environment with lifelong friends!"

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Driven, passionate people. Many opportunities to travel and develop skills in sales, marketing, customer service. Young office but knows how to be professional while keeping it fun. EF culture is infectious and hard to beat!

Cons

Salaries for "non-upper management" could be higher for amount and quality of work required. Not a ton of opportunity for upward mobility unless new roles are created.

EF Education First2019-09-10

September 30, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Thank you for this feedback! Our mission, people, professional development is key to our business and our culture is one of the things we are most proud of, it is infectious for sure :) Best regards.

2. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture there is very positive, but can get oddly competitive, but I guess that's the nature of sales. There is also great vacation time (four weeks after the first year) and the people are really amazing.

Cons

"You don't get rich working at EF" is something I heard someone say, and while the culture/time off etc is good, it doesn't excuse paying less than average for the industry.

Advice to Management

If you pay your people what they deserve, you get to keep the good ones.

EF Education First2019-09-28

September 30, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Thank you for taking the time sending us this feedback, it is very valuable for us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed working with EF, our culture and amazing prople is something we are very proud of. We are always striving to be competitive in terms of pay and we will take this feedback with us. Best regards.

"A great place to come every morning!"

Current Employee - Educational Tour Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Everyone at work is like minded and therefore I feel like I'm working with friends - Many great travel opportunities for all departments - Continuing PD opportunities - Great support from colleagues in all departments - Fun activities every month and get to participate in "kick offs" every two years that is a combination of PD, getting to know the team better, and a fun time.

Cons

- We have busier periods (March break and early summer travel) which can be stressful, but also a lot of fun when you know what you're doing. Not a con, but someone who is faint of heart probably wouldn't be able to handle it

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

EF Education First2019-09-10

September 30, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Thank you for this feedback! Our people is key to our business and I'm happy to hear you get to work with people you love and also travel and explore whilst working. It's one of the many perks working at EF! Best regards.

4. "Amazing company and culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, great company culture, travel perks

Cons

Salary and benefits are lower than industry average

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

EF Education First2019-08-26
  5. "Good way to begin career"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open office, fun culture, mostly positive morale, good people

Cons

Low pay, management doesn't listen to employee opinions, misdirected vision

EF Education First2019-09-08

September 30, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Thank you for this feedback! Our mission, people, professional development is key to our business and I'm happy to hear you get to work on the things you enjoy. Best regards.

6. "Not a bad opportunity"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amount of working time compared to a typical 9-5 is lower. The support and materials provided make it very easy for someone with no experience to teach. There are good opportunities for moving upwards if you can commit to more than one year.

Cons

Not too many vacation days, lots of busy work

EF Education First2019-08-22
  7. "Flexible work with amazing students"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm in my 3 year of working with EF. It has been perfect for me because I have been working around Europe and I have moved to a few countries and now back in Canada. So in my case it was a perfect way to ensure that I had income in between jobs or in the process of moving. I love the students. They are super motivated and super excited to learn English with Native English Speakers.

Cons

The main con is that when I'm searching for other online English jobs, I am seeing that they are offering $24-34/hour USD for the same amount of preparation for classes, corrections for students and overall work. Whereas with English Live it starts at $10 USD/hour and gradually gets larger year after year. While I was abroad, the pay was sufficient. However now that I'm back in North America, I'm debating whether... the financial reward is worth my time anymore. English teaching is my hobby, and I love it, but I may need to think about finding other alternatives.

Advice to Management

I understand that the writing corrections are an extra source of income. I also took part in the voice recordings for the extra income. I will make a case to see what other options can work for me as well. As I really love your company, your students and everything.

EF Education First2019-08-14
  8. "A cult based on scamming regular people who just want to travel"

Former Employee - Travel Support Agent in Toronto, ON

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good company for your first job if you're super young, and if you don't need money and are looking to make a lot of friends. Good training, because they are preparing you for levels of abuse you can't imagine. Nothing can prepare you for being in the call center at this company. There's a beer fridge open for a few hours on Thursdays and Fridays, which we desperately needed after the abusive phone calls all day,... all week.

Cons

Cult-vibes: forced to smile, ride the office scooters, not each lunch alone, forced to participate in scavenger hunts, encouraged to scam parents. Pays less than minimum wage, even for bilinguals. You only get to travel for free as a Tour Guide, so in the Agent role and the TA role, you don't get to travel. Be careful; they pay you once a month but don't warn you. Sometimes they pay you late, and you can go 6-7... weeks without a paycheck. The tour contract and payment plan are confusing on purpose; you realize after a few weeks that it is a scam. Parents are required to sign it to book a tour, but then about 90% of parents end up paying huge late fees. If you don't pay your late fees, the child can't go on their trip AND you don't get the money back that was already paid towards the trip. They could very very easily make the contract and payment plan clear and easy to understand, but they don't on purpose. This is how the company makes money, it is their business model. The fees DON'T go to collections, and the Agent is able to waive ALL of the fees if they want to. The fees lead to a lot of negative calls, about 90% of calls are fights with parents. This takes a huge toll on the Agent, probably why the company encourages drinking from the beer fridge on Thursdays and Fridays. The parents are just regular (dumb) people who mostly have never traveled and don't understand how it works and are relying on a tour company to take care of the travel for their child, and then they get trapped with hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars in fees. It's exploitative. The parents threaten you, abuse you, scream/cuss at you, threaten to come to the office and find you, tell you terrible stories about their child being gang r*aped to gain sympathy/get fees waived, this is nonstop all day and all week. There's high turnover and a high rate of sick days and mental health days. Even if you don't normally call in sick, you will at this company, everyone does and it's an infectious mindset. Because of the high turnover (most people would just stop showing up) and a lot of sick people, there's a lot of work that falls on the remaining people. Lots of work + below minimum wage pay + constant verbal abuse and fighting = a terrible place to be. I wouldn't recommend anyone who is sensitive or with depression, anxiety or PTSD work here. Every single person on the Traveller Support Team cried at one point, some had to go home. Some never came back. There's no reason anyone should work here and go through that abuse for less than minimum wage; you can work at Starbucks for more money and less abuse. A lot of employees felt tricked by promises of travel and a cool Google-like place to work, and soon realized we have to endure insane amount of abuse for just $2300 a month.

Advice to Management

The managers make over 100K a year but don't help or support you. Please go bankrupt.

EF Education First2019-08-20
  9. "If you like children, go ahead"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant

I worked at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very positive and energetic working environment. I was able to study with children and having fun with colleagues.

Cons

Children were naughty and annoying sometimes. After this, I knew I would never work with children again!

EF Education First2019-07-28

"Good work/live Balance"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Travel perks are pretty good

Cons

Poor leadership across all levels

EF Education First2019-06-12